Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any interesting hobbies other than politics and the Amiga?  (Read 6563 times)

Description:

Re: Any interesting hobbies other than politics and the Amiga?
« Reply #44 from previous page: July 18, 2004, 12:59:47 AM »

-D- wrote:
Hi Wayne,

May I suggest motorcycling...nothing relieves stress like blasting through a twisty on a heavily
forested mountain road. Much fun, and doesn't have to cost an appendage...that is unless you crash badly. ;-)
I've done the motorcycle thing.  Crashing on a motorcycle is an eventual "WILL HAPPEN", regardless of who you are, or how careful you are.  Motorcycle accidents are 99% the fault of the other idiots on the road, not the rider.

Besides, no one around me is particularly comfortable with the idea of me riding a motorcycle.  My Dad's ok with it, as long as I take out a million dollar insurance policy and make him the sole beneficiary.  

:)

Wayne

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2004, 01:04:34 AM »
@blobrana,

"i have an unhealthy interest in guns"

I have a 1939 Merkel over and under shotgun with a stock made from black forest wood. It's very nice.

Chris

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2004, 01:06:45 AM »
Hi Wayne,

The canard is supposed to make it very hard to stall. I suppose it must be low airspeed/engine trouble.

Chris

Offline Damion

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2004, 02:11:37 AM »
Wayne wrote:

I've done the motorcycle thing. Crashing on a motorcycle is an eventual "WILL HAPPEN", regardless of who you are, or how careful you are. Motorcycle accidents are 99% the fault of the other idiots on the road, not the rider.

True words. My brother - who I consider to be a VERY careful rider - struck a deer and went over the
bars a few weeks ago while riding in Northern Cal. Rashed himself up a little, but was otherwise OK (thank God!). There was almost nothing he could do, the deer freaked out and fixated on his bike.

I've got quite a few scars from the dirt, but have yet to crash on the street. I try to keep out of the city and
off of major freeways to minimize the risk, due to the major moron factor around here. I just hope (like most)
that when my number's up it'll be a minor one. :)

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2004, 02:19:19 AM »
Wayne wrote:
I've done the motorcycle thing. Crashing on a motorcycle is an eventual "WILL HAPPEN", regardless of who you are, or how careful you are. Motorcycle accidents are 99% the fault of the other idiots on the road, not the rider.

...and the fact that the roads are designed for cars, not bikes. Imagine a drain cover just a little higher or lower than the road surface. Hit this at 30mph on a car, you don't feel it. Hit it at 30mph on a motorbike, and you sure will. It's the little things like that that car drivers don't notice that often cause accidents with motorcyclists.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2004, 02:58:22 AM »
@ -D-,

"nothing relieves stress like blasting through a twisty on a heavily
forested mountain road."

Thats what My WRX is for.

Chris

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2004, 03:46:35 AM »
There`s life outside of being an Amiga user?? :-o

I used to be a rally co-driver, until my mate got married and had kids and couldn`t do it any more, so I let my license lapse :-(
 Photography, don`t have the time to do much these days. I had a darkroom setup for b&w,C41 colour and Cibachrome printing.
 Mostly took photos at my local racetrack, (GT`s and Touring Cars..and the occasional grid girl ;-) ) and b&w landscapes..they just seem to have more impact than colour.

I love playing practical jokes on friends, my latest one used the Amiga`s translator.device to leave a message on a friends answering machine, pretending to be Stephen Hawkins..

Then the nerdy, geeky stuff.. electronics, fixing computers, programming (PC&Miggy), websites for friends businesses etc.

I can`t stand cooking, takes too much time. If it takes more than 20-30 mins to do, I can`t be bothered.

All this flying talk reminds me of work last week (I`m a set builder and model maker for adverts..I must have done something real bad in a past life!).
 We were on location at an airport, and there was someone having conversion lessons in a Jet Provost. I didn`t think it was possible to taxi a plane the way learner drivers do with cars.
 One minute the jet is idling, then almost full throttle screaming its guts out, then the plane starts kangarooing down the perimeter road, then idle again etc etc.
 Probably happens all the time, but it made us all laugh :lol:
On schedule, and suing

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2004, 07:31:00 AM »
Photography, don`t have the time to do much these days.

Recognize that.
B&W photography, with an SLR, is probably the most satisfying hobby I've ever had. Too bad I've almost given that up! :-(
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2004, 11:30:45 AM »
My problem with film photography is that it's simply too expensive, at around $6.00 per roll to develop.  What I crave is a digital SLR.  Might not be AS perfect, but it would certainly be a lot less expensive for trial and error shooting.

Wayne

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2004, 01:48:06 PM »

Wayne wrote:

T_Bone wrote:
Remind me sometime to put up a photo of a failed takeoff currently sitting broken in a trailer in the back field  :lol:

Failed Velocity takeoff?  The more I look at the Velocity XL, the more I want one..  

I would pay Hangar 18 to build one for me, because I would never finish it on my own, but the Velocity XL solves a lot of quandries for me, such as the infamous "high wing (cessna) versus low wing (mooney)" debate.  The XL also would lift all I need and go probably farther than I need for any one trip.  Granted, it'd still be far cheaper to fly commercial, but wouldn't be 1/10th of the fun or allow me to fly whenever I wanted.

Wayne

No, no, not a velocity, something else altogether. Never made it off the ground for more than 10 secs before nosediving. Since I don't fly anymore, it's become my "one that got away" story  :-P
this space for rent

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2004, 02:14:16 PM »

Wayne wrote:

Cyberus wrote:
Because people feel the need to express their anger or frustration at what another user has said or done?
Here is a reminder that these are mere forums, and not worth frustration or anger.  If you're at a time where you're letting negativity get the better of you, maybe it's time to start dating.  :)

Wayne

:lol:
Heh, women can cause even more frustration and anger though!

Anyway, what I was trying to say is that I succumbed to emotion and let myself get baited. I'm sure most people do it at some point or other - evidence is all the people who let Doomy get to them with his talk of Professional A2000s. That definitely isn't worth any frustration or anger!

Anyway, I've just come back from a weekend camping/hiking trip - that's something I used to do a lot as a kid and I decided yesterday that I'm gonna get back into it again.
Anyone else here a fan of the great outdoors?

I like Amigas

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2004, 03:06:19 PM »

Wayne wrote:
My problem with film photography is that it's simply too expensive, at around $6.00 per roll to develop.  What I crave is a digital SLR.  Might not be AS perfect, but it would certainly be a lot less expensive for trial and error shooting.

Wayne

Hmm, you're right, it IS expensive to develop. At the moment I'm using a Canon 300V and a Canon Digital IXUS II v3
[I think these have different names in the States]. These are the two cameras I carry in my bag, although I do have a fair few other cameras.
I tend use the film camera for more creative photography and stuff that I need various lenses for, whereas the digi is used for more point and shoot type stuff - although I have had some good pics from it, the level of control and the feeble optical zoom makes it a good standby - also I like a camera I can fit in my pocket [to always have a camera with me is my aim]. The other bonus of the small camera is that its less of a target for thieves - I don't always want to wander down the street with a camera and expensive lenses.

I would have liked a Digital SLR, but at the moment the cost is too prohibitive - almost three times as much for the body I'd say typically. Although of course you could spend that on film and developing.

Has anyone got any photos online?
I like Amigas

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2004, 06:18:52 AM »
Vivaldi...

JGirls...

PepaKura Designer (paper folding)...

It seems that just about anything I try, becomes my favorite hoby these days! :-)

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2004, 11:38:45 AM »

Cyberus wrote:
Anyway, I've just come back from a weekend camping/hiking trip - that's something I used to do a lot as a kid and I decided yesterday that I'm gonna get back into it again.
Anyone else here a fan of the great outdoors?

I am, the problem is that there's hardly any nature worth wandering through here in the Netherlands. You'd spend 3/4 of the day walking on tarmac. Which is why I really only do hiking on holidays :-\. Anyhoo, should be doing a week of hiking in southern Norway in a few weeks  8-).

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2004, 03:48:01 AM »
Winnie the Pooh...

Fairies...

Unicorns...