Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ubuntu 10.10  (Read 9352 times)

Description:

Offline trekiejTopic starter

Ubuntu 10.10
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:59:41 PM »
I have been using 10.10 for a little while. I like it. I seems to be pretty smooth. I have an A.M.D. 4 core c.p.u. and 4 Gigs of ram. Unfortunately I have built in H.D. 4290 graphics.
I sort of ditched Vista 32 for a while. I think my p.s. is going bad. I disconnected my internal drives for a while. I ran off of Puppy Linux for a while. The video and mouse would go off for no reason.
I hooked my internal 160 gb drive back up and am still using Ubuntu.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
Re: Ubuntu 10.10
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:03:08 PM »
yea ubuntu blows vista away... i have xp pro, vista ultimate,and ubunto on my piv box and always use ubuntu unless i need some special windows crap
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »
I have a logic analyzer that needs win. If it was not for it, I would not need it.
What I do have a problem with is, I have trouble finding apps on Linux and at times installing apps.
Linux is rock solid.

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:07:57 PM »
Yeah, I us Ubuntu 10.10 a good bit myself too. However, there are some things which are either possible only on Windows (e.g. running certain software), or things that are possible under Linux but aren't worth all the extra hassle (e.g. colour profiling and matching of printers, scanners and monitors). So Windows is staying in my life for the foreseeable future as a tool...
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:18:57 PM »
Quote from: trekiej;623551
I have a logic analyzer that needs win. If it was not for it, I would not need it.
What I do have a problem with is, I have trouble finding apps on Linux and at times installing apps.

If you don't like the shell and you don't like the "ubuntu software centre" thing (can't say I am overly fussed with it myself), there's always synaptic as a GUI alternative to apt.

Regarding your Windows apps, have you checked to see if your logic analyser's installer package can be invoked under Wine? I've successfully installed a few Win32 applications in Ubuntu (64-bit). I've even had some applications just run (albeit with default settings) without installing, when I mounted my Windows partitions and had a mess about. You might be surprised, Wine is getting pretty good these days (see: http://extropia.co.uk/img/penguin.jpg - "debris" is one of Farbrausch's tiny Windows demos).

Of course, the nuclear option, particularly if you have a multiple-core machine is just to run a cut down Windows install in a virtual machine hosted on Linux if you really need to.
int p; // A

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:33:10 PM »
trekiej

Have you tried running the analyzer in Linux with WINE? Google sketch up works nicely with wine :)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:51:50 PM »
It does say some have used it with the Mac with VMware Fusion. I assume with windows.
I have not tried with Wine yet.
How well does Windows work on top of Linux?
I have an MSO-19 from Link Instruments.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:57:36 PM by trekiej »

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 09:54:32 PM »
I ran Blender 2.56 Beta and it runs. I did not put it through its paces yet.
I would like to do these things.
1. Video Switching
2. Chroma Keying
3. Character Generation
4. Animation
5. Image Manipulation.
This is would be like a Toaster Package but for Ubuntu.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »
I may look into making a pci and/or pci-e proto-board to do some research.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »
OpenShot works with Blender
http://www.openshotvideo.com/

personally I have only used OpenShot on my Ubuntu 10.04, but eventually will get Blender and try out some new features. It has great potential so far......

forums
http://openshotusers.com/forum/index.php
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 10:45:48 PM »
Quote from: trekiej;623551
Linux is rock solid.

Id say stick with apt / synaptic / software center until you get a good handle on things.
I've installed a fair share of random distribution neutral stuff (mostly games) and can't say Ive had too much trouble. Most things just seem to work.

Let us know if there's specific things you have trouble with :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »
Quote from: cecilia;623581
personally I have only used OpenShot on my Ubuntu 10.04, but eventually will get Blender and try out some new features. It has great potential so far.....

Let me guess, you were using 8.04 before? Or is it just me that uses the LTS releases for the long haul?
int p; // A

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 11:14:44 PM »
Personally, I've been running Ubuntu alongside MorphOS on a PPC Mac for some time now. Works great. More than fast enough and better looking than OSX.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline gazgod

• Show only replies by gazgod
    • http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 11:28:15 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;623596
Let me guess, you were using 8.04 before? Or is it just me that uses the LTS releases for the long haul?

/me raises hand

My main workstation stays on the LTS releases.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 11:34:12 PM »
Linux is fine for bread an butter ie web/comms/ and office for an average user.

If you dabble in 2D photo manipulation, 3D, video editing, well, on Linux that can be a painful experience.  And games..

If what you want is Ubuntu's software centre, installation is fine.  If not, its a pain.  Eg I muck about with emulation SNES, N64.  Even Instaling the latest versions that aren't in the Ubuntu software centre is a pain in the  arse, compared with the Win versions.

Stability wise, XP Pro rarely crashed, Vista hasn't-at all- and neither has my Win 7 laptop.  It hasn't been my experience that Win is any less stable than Ubuntu.

As for security, I'm not convinced that Ubuntu is any more secure per se, just that less time and man hours is devoted to exploiting its holes.  And there must be holes, else why are the security updates being released periodically for it?

I don't particularly like the Ubuntu (Gnome and KDE 4) look and feel either, and I don't think its as fast and efficient as its claimed.  I think its the Windows of the Linux world; people use it because other people use it.  

And i hate the "re-install after 18 months" release cycle, or go to LTS and possibly end up with a POS like 10.04 where i couldn't even get a mobile modem to work, even though it was fine in 9.04.

IMO MAndriva was the most polished Linux out there.