Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the F***!  (Read 21103 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: What the F***!
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;605578
http://www.karmadigital.com/tf5_htpc_home_theatre_pc_case.html +
http://www.ubuntu.com =
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Amiga.aspx
You, madam, win. Wonder how much they're going to be charging for their stylish "couldn't be bothered to render with textures, but don't worry, we'll slap a boing-ball sticker on it in production" look on generic x86 desktop hardware?

As far as the whole "at least they're doing something" line of reasoning - I'm not going to trash on the people who think that next-gen Amiga-like OSes ought to run on x86 hardware (even if I myself disagree,) but come on. All that Commodore USA has been doing thus far is slapping a brand on generic Atom hardware in an unusual form-factor - it has less to do with the Amiga (x86, PPC, or 68k flavors) than those cheapo "greatest hits as performed by some group of barely-awake session players" records you find clogging up thrift stores have to do with the band they'd like you to think you're buying a record by.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:28:45 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 03:13:59 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;605706
Commodore Amiga is a registered and legitimate business in the Islamic Republic of Iran.

We will be announcing something very soon.

heck I trust Iran more than AI..so why not:roflmao:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605709
You, madam, win. Wonder how much they're going to be charging for their stylish "couldn't be bothered to render with textures, but don't worry, we'll slap a boing-ball sticker on it in production" look on generic x86 desktop hardware?

Amiga desktop cases will be customized... Those Karma Digital cases that you currently see on the website are only the base... As to your possible question of how much customized... From what I can remember, the front fascia will be completely different(no cheap stickers), there's some talk about a keyboard garage like on the original A1000 and there are bound to be some changes inside as well.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 03:25:51 PM »
Okay, so they're going to slap a boing-ball logo bubble and a slightly customized case on generic x86 hardware. Whoop-de-doo.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline klx300r

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605711
Amiga desktop cases will be customized... Those Karma Digital cases that you currently see on the website are only the base...

yes yes we've heard it all before a million times..of course they have a 30 million dollar budget but from day one have taken others work off the internet and pawned it off as their own...all in a good honest days work for AI:laughing:

honestly I bet that bloody 'snowman' was ripped off from some poor soul too...AI and CUSA you reap what you sow

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 03:29:29 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605714
Okay, so they're going to slap a boing-ball sticker and a slightly customized case on generic x86 hardware. Whoop-de-doo.

What would you have them to do? There's nothing else anybody can do... even the mighty Apple uses "generic x86 hardware". There is simply no choice out there today, if you want to be a player, you're bound to use generic x86.  But at least they'll be using the best x86 hardware ... Intel SandyBridge :)

And slightly customized cases... sure, in some models. Some will have a fully custom case. And they're starting a new Linux distro with aspirations to make if a fairly custom OS in the future. I think one can hardly accuse them of being "generic"(or slapping stickers), especially for a start-up...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:33:45 PM by WolfToTheMoon »

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »
The words "legitimate" and "Iran" are an oxymoron.  Even my relatives who have done well in the country are getting tired of the corruption.  They said at first it was fun figuring out which mullah to slip the tomans to and how much but now it's just a drag...

It's sort of amazing that a country that vets all it's candidates using a "purity control" still has to resort to vote stealing.  Current rumours are that in the next election you can vote for the "opposition" candidate by turning yourself into Evin prison directly and save everyone a bit of time...

Quote from: nicholas;605706
Commodore Amiga is a registered and legitimate business in the Islamic Republic of Iran.

We will be announcing something very soon.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »
Amiga® trademark used under exclusive worldwide license by Commodore USA, LLC for its line of AIO (All-In-One) keyboard computers, and is the trademark of Amiga Inc., registered in the United States and other countries.

Curious. Those pictures are of big-boxes, not of AOI keyboard computers.

Regardless, I feel that this is all an attempt my an embittered Amiga Inc. to try and ruin Hyperion's success. I do not support any of this Amiga branded hardware without AmigaOS (and cannot possibly run AmigaOS) crap.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 03:42:57 PM »
Quote from: billt;605719
Curious. Those pictures are of big-boxes, not of AOI keyboard computers.

Regardless, I feel that this is all an attempt my an embittered Amiga Inc. to try and ruin Hyperion's success. I do not support any of this Amiga branded hardware without AmigaOS (and cannot possibly run AmigaOS) crap.

Commodore Amiga OS5 is coming soon to hardware near you.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605716
What would you have them to do? There's nothing else anybody can do... even the mighty Apple uses "generic x86 hardware". There is simply no choice out there today, if you want to be a player, you're bound to use generic x86.  But at least they'll be using the best x86 hardware ... Intel SandyBridge :)
Again, I don't have a problem with Amiga-like OSes on x86 hardware - what I have a problem with is someone trying to pass off "x86 PC with a Commodore logo on it" as an actual Commodore computer. Commodore, the company, is dead. None of the people who made it what it was have anything to do with this venture - this is purely a case of a company dressing up in the trappings of a once-loved brand to hawk its own wares, which don't even bring anything special to the table.

I mean, seriously. I like Linux just fine, but Linux is not AmigaOS, never has been, and never will be. I don't care whether you're a devotee of AROS, MorphOS, ClassicWB, or even AOS4 - at least those have some basis in the Amiga architecture and design philosophy, instead of being a "well, uh, we cobbled up a desktop environment that looks like Workbench!" Linux distro. Using that on your desktop? Okay, sure. Selling it as AmigaOS? No.

(And no, you don't have to use x86. There's ARM, there's ColdFire, there's even Hitachi's SuperH architecture if you want. The domination of the Intel Hegemony isn't complete - not yet, anyway.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:46:00 PM by commodorejohn »

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »
Quote from: billt;605719
Hyperion's success.

Sure... I hear AmigaOS4 devs are rolling in money and apple is trembling with words of Amiga OS 4.2 release... :rolleyes:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605721
what I have a problem with is someone trying to pass off "x86 PC with a Commodore logo on it" as an actual Commodore computer

Commodore sold x86 computers... and it would be doing x86 if it survived until today, including Amiga. Get over it.

this is purely a case of a company dressing up in the trappings of a once-loved brand to hawk its own wares, which don't even bring anything special to the table

From your point of view, maybe. But again, some may think differently.

I mean, seriously. I like Linux just fine, but Linux is not AmigaOS, never has been, and never will be. I don't care whether you're a devotee of AROS, MorphOS, ClassicWB, or even AOS4 - at least those have some basis in the Amiga architecture and design philosophy, instead of being a "well, uh, we cobbled up a desktop environment that looks like Workbench!" Linux distro. Using that on your desktop? Okay, sure. Selling it as AmigaOS? No.

Amiga OS architecture is a dead end. Face it. Had Commodore survived, there would be none of the original Amiga OS architecture today. End of story. C=USA could have just used Windows with their computers. The easy way. Instead, they're going with all the trouble of creating something custom, if only slightly, at the beggining. And no... it's not being sold as AmigaOS. The naming is not yet set in stone.

And no, you don't have to use x86. There's ARM, there's ColdFire, there's even Hitachi's SuperH architecture if you want. The domination of the Intel Hegemony isn't complete - not yet, anyway.

Coldfire? Are you serious? Sure, ARM I can see being competitive on the desktop market in a few years maybe. The rest is a no-go for any home computer use other then a hobby.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605714
Okay, so they're going to slap a boing-ball logo bubble and a slightly customized case on generic x86 hardware. Whoop-de-doo.

If they substituted a flaky PPC mobo for the generic x86, would that make things better?  Oh, triple the price as well.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline klx300r

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605726
Commodore sold x86 computers... and it would be doing x86 if it survived until today, including Amiga. Get over it.

really? why don't you go back and see how well their x86 computers did

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605728
really? why don't you go back and see how well their x86 computers did

that is well known. the fact remains if they had any hopes of staying competitive past 95', x86 was the only way in the future with a possible PPC era like Apple in between.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 11, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
Nobody will ever know what would had happened if Commodore had survived. Your starting to lose credibility by saying stuff like this.

Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;605726

Amiga OS architecture is a dead end. Face it. Had Commodore survived, there would be none of the original Amiga OS architecture today. End of story. C=USA could have just used Windows with their computers. The easy way. Instead, they're going with all the trouble of creating something custom, if only slightly, at the beggining. And no... it's not being sold as AmigaOS. The naming is not yet set in stone.