Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IMICA Atom becomes Aros fully native and celebrates in Silence  (Read 12652 times)

Description:

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
Re: IMICA Atom becomes Aros fully native and celebrates in Silence
« Reply #74 from previous page: May 24, 2010, 02:40:01 PM »
Quote from: clusteruk;560597
Interesting, I never managed to get DPaint to run with an RTG mode, always went belly up if you select one.

exactly.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2010, 02:47:26 PM »
Might be getting confused between that and Dpaint.  been so long since I have used my miggy.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2010, 02:56:08 PM »
For the final time, the IMICA is an overpriced machine, (I can make one for less than what they sell for) the way clusteruk worded his post was promoting it as the next Amiga. The reason AROS is wasting time is:

1. They are using linux as a base, then popping APIs on top of it, making a WB lookalike that is analogous to linux w/ WINE. They will never capture the Amiga experience as it is in MOS or AmigaOS.

2. They have made less progress than either OS4 or MOS in the same amount of time.

But I applaud their progress thus far, they are promising, but they before long will hit a wall.

In it all, I have discovered that no Amiga user needs an Intel, you just need a G4 Mac for MOS and OS X (for modern Apps), Classic Amigas for Classic AOS and a 360 for all the new video games, you get all the benefits of Intel, minus Intel, at the same cost or less.

@leander

Ha, the applaud was funny I admit, but really, Kolla needs to learn that throwing around  curses will only piss people off, sadly, he is just like Lennie.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline kolla

« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2010, 02:57:28 PM »
Oh, look - the clueless git is back! :banana:
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline clusterukTopic starter

« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
I just think that Aros is quickly becoming a viable platform for those that want to run an Amiga like operating system without breaking the bank.

All Amiga applications run through the janus emulation, and with coherance it appears more seamless being able to launch an application from the Aros file system 68k app icon and a more elegant solution is in the works with Emumiga
Amiga 1000/3000, iMica Silent and NVidia Aros computer.
http://www.imica.net
Lets enjoy the Amigas future, THIS year is 25th Anniversary lets make it special.
http://www.amiga25.org

« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2010, 03:05:15 PM »
@dreamcast270mhz

IMICA is not a true Amiga just like the latest PPC offerings are in no way a true Amiga for me. But they are all a step on the road to a true next generation Amiga. The X1000 is a good step on the road also, and too the Natami for me looks amazing and I am a fan.

But I am thinking ahead and to do this I need the basics in place. IMICA is a first step on a journey to something special I hope.

Oh yes, and we DO NOT sit on Linux.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:09:26 PM by clusteruk »
Lets enjoy the Amigas future, THIS year is 25th Anniversary lets make it special.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »
Just in case anyone else is having dificulty; AROS has NOTHING to do with Linux... You can run AROS on top of Linux to aid debugging and development.

But AROS has nothing to do with Linux, it is an Operating sytem in its own right. Is everyone clear about that now? :-?

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2010, 03:48:36 PM »
1. They are using linux as a base, then popping APIs on top of it, making a WB lookalike that is analogous to linux w/ WINE. They will never capture the Amiga experience as it is in MOS or AmigaOS.

That was the old Anubis-OS project, not AROS.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2010, 04:08:30 PM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;560604
For the final time, the IMICA is an overpriced machine, (I can make one for less than what they sell for) the way clusteruk worded his post was promoting it as the next Amiga. The reason AROS is wasting time is:

2. They have made less progress than either OS4 or MOS in the same amount of time.

But I applaud their progress thus far, they are promising, but they before long will hit a wall.

In it all, I have discovered that no Amiga user needs an Intel, you just need a G4 Mac for MOS and OS X (for modern Apps), Classic Amigas for Classic AOS and a 360 for all the new video games, you get all the benefits of Intel, minus Intel, at the same cost or less.

@leander

Ha, the applaud was funny I admit, but really, Kolla needs to learn that throwing around curses will only piss people off, sadly, he is just like Lennie.

Sorry I would never normally go for what be classes as personal attack, but.   If you are going to post please check your facts first.  Otherwise just makes you look like the cock that I suspect you are.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2010, 04:13:41 PM »
I tried DPaint V on MorphOS long ago and it ran just fine. Old versions wont run.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;560553
Well the big problem AROS has is in the byte order (as you are probably aware), so this is the best option :)

Not only the byte order but also the size of certain C types and the packing of C structs. This makes the integration layer more involved than on PPC MorphOS and AOS4. Some people advocated to change the native i386 endianess like amithlon did but majority decided to not reduce the native x86 performance for better m68k software integration.
I am still sceptical that emumiga will always be able to guess the translation of C structs between the two worlds (m68k and x86/AMD64/...) without knowing it at emumiga compile time. But I have been proven wrong in the past.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2010, 05:03:09 PM »
Quote from: clusteruk;560608
All Amiga applications run through the janus emulation, and with coherance it appears more seamless being able to launch an application from the Aros file system 68k app icon and a more elegant solution is in the works with Emumiga

Emu Amiga looks interesting. I wonder how complex applications that use 3rd party libraries and MCCs will perform.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »
Quote from: Crumb;560638
Emu Amiga looks interesting. I wonder how complex applications that use 3rd party libraries and MCCs will perform.

Time will tell, but this will be a while in the making. However, Moggen is about to open the source so others can help once the fundamentals are in place.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2010, 05:33:45 PM »
@clusteruk

perhaps there's some way to "automate" the process for identical functions/structs making some auto-code generation reading OS3 and AROS includes and OS3 FD files.

It may be a wise idea that they left the structs&function offsets in separate files so the user can add later new libraries support without recompiling.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 05:37:13 PM by Crumb »
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2010, 05:48:20 PM »
wait, so how the hell is Morph OS "amiga" when AROS isn't ?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »
Quote from: itix;560623
I tried DPaint V on MorphOS long ago and it ran just fine. Old versions wont run.

Have you tried DPaint IV? It works in OS3.x (I'm sure I got 256 color RTG modes working before but don't quote me) and hence OS4. I would be surprised if it didn't work in MOS.
int p; // A