Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HyperionMP: Porting AmigaOS 4 to Cell  (Read 5012 times)

Description:

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
Re: HyperionMP: Porting AmigaOS 4 to Cell
« on: June 08, 2005, 08:20:39 PM »

bhoggett wrote:
It doesn't add up.

Nope. But someone got the opportunity to use the words "multimedia" and "embedded systems type hardware". Isn't that all that counts?

BTW, why is Ben Hermans' aw.nut account marked with "Hyperion"? He doesn't even work there anymore, does he?

But hey, what do I know? Apparently I'm one of the people who are responsible for all the problems...   :roll:

You too? :D

Yeah, or they didn't try hard enough to "defy commercial logic".

(Damn, I'm taking that sentence and running with it now! :))
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 08:29:09 PM »
T_Bone said on aw.net:
This is where you guys are screwing with my head. I hear, "If you can prove...we might consider it"

I wonder who proved that the Teron CX motherboard, with a single digit number of owners at the time, with 1998 level technology in 2001, with an $800 pricetag, and then with more and more problems and (missing) features being discovered over time, was a viable candidate for AmigaOS bundling. In fact, the ONLY viable option for selling AmigaOS -- at all! The option preferred over eg. an iMac, PowerMac, PowerBook or Pegasos.

And then the Teron PX, and after that the Teron Mini.

Yeah, I'd like to see that proof.

Technology and commercial viability isn't allowed a role in this play, I'm afraid.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 10:30:34 PM »
I had to switch to threaded mode to figure out what the heck you were replying to, as it didn't seem to be in response to anything in this thread. But hey, apparently it was a reply to my post.

HotRod wrote:
You got a big mouth but you know nothing and wouldn't handle this situation any better than they do so why do you even open it?

Saying that a fellow user here knows nothing is a prime example of a personal attack. Saying "what the heck are you talking about? A lissencephalic rhesus monkey on LSD could have handled the situation better than AInc!" is not a personal attack.

Really, is you life about trolling only?

Trolling? You lost me now. Ah, now I get it...
Helpful Hint #34 for Success On Teh Interweb: The amigaworld.net definition of "trolling" does not apply anywhere outside amigaworld.net.

You sit here doing nothing but telling everyone your opinions wich you think is the truth.

Was that supposed to be an insult, or just a general observation on the whole concept of "discussion"? Yes, I write my opinions. This is a forum for discussion. Ergo, people read and write eachother's opinions. Hopefully, they usually believe in what they say as well. If they didn't, it could be called "hypocrisy", "lying" or "marketing".

Please, get a life or at least think before you answer.

Done. Thanks for the reminder!
:)

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 02:32:25 PM »

cgutjahr wrote:

Seehund wrote:
I wonder who proved that the Teron CX motherboard, [...] was a viable candidate for AmigaOS bundling.

Excuse me, but doesn't Apple's recent move more or less prove that the A1 (as buggy and expensive as it might be) was the *only* viable candidate for AmigaOS bundling?

(I should've written "sales", not just "bundling", since Hermans said sth like "show us a better candidate and we'll consider it", as if the licensing requirement wasn't there and technical/commercial merits could be considered first.)
The Terons were worse options than PPC Macs were in 2001. They're even worse in 2005, and won't become more attractive just because the major PPC desktop vendor will abandon PPC next year.

I'll be lazy and quote myself from Moobunny to save some typing:
Even with a set end date for PPC Mac sales, that hardware market would be vast compared to what we have now. The special "Amiga hardware" market is obviously a dead end that is as long as a Rizla paper is thick, while the PPC Mac market in comparison is a dead end the size of Broadway.

I'm not defending the A1 - but it was 'born' (I forgot what kind of derogatory term you're usually using instead ;-)) to run AmigaOS and only AmigaOS.

The Terons were born to let hardware developers develop ArticiaS-based hardware. Then a shop in the UK thought they could sell them to AmigaOS users, and struck an exclusive deal with AInc who needed any cash they could get, long term effects be damned. But I digress...

Redhouse is unlikely to switch to another CPU,

Redhouse can only sell what others will sell to him. He hasn't got any control over hardware development or the hardware market. Eyetech is a middleman, no matter if you think they're needed or redundant. The licensing doesn't guarantee anything, it only excludes options. Mai Logic may be gone tomorrow, if they're not gone already, and there we and AmigaOS are, stuck waiting for "someone" to find "something else" to buy a useless licence for while the world moves on.

prefer MorphOS,

If there was no licensing/bundling/dongling requirement, it wouldn't matter much what OS, if any, that a hardware vendor would prefer.
It's WITH that requirement in place that AmigaOS by default loses all hardware options from any vendor that already sells another OS (and thus isn't interested in getting an AInc licence), or risk losing hardware options if an existing licensee would change his mind (let's pretend that "anyone is free to apply for a licence" wasn't a lie).

play lawyer games, try to circumvent licensing conditions etc.

Anyone can sue anyone, licensee or not. What's it got to with this?
Circumvent licensing conditions? None of the publicly presented conditions -- the ones that we were told would be Good For Us -- have been met by the single existing licencee!

What other platforms meet these requirements?

You probably know that I'm one of those who'd like to see the compulsory hardware licensing removed altogether, so that technical and commercial aspects could reign supreme when it comes to choosing target hardware for AmigaOS.

As you can see, with the licensing requirement, the available options have been reduced to... One. And approaching zero.
Heck, since AmigaOS can't sell outside the current hard core with the current arrangement, it could just as well be zero. There's no growth, the same old decline continues, but now it's declining on faster hardware. :P