Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPhone 4  (Read 5236 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
Re: iPhone 4
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 01:37:21 AM »
Quote from: spihunter;563401
Imovie on the iphone?. I wonder how that is going to work?

Not over wifi I guess.

http://gizmodo.com/5557458/watch-the-steve-jobs-keynote-meltdown
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 01:44:01 AM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;563399
Anybody that owns an iPhone knows that one little flaw we try to keep hidden from the world.  Battery life is the suck.  

I'd rather keep the same thickness and get 24 percent longer battery life.

I hear that.  I have an iPhone from work, and I gave up on carrying it because the battery is so bad that I had to keep a charger everyplace or it would die on me.  Of course, maybe the battery has just gone, but I'm not willing to jump through the hoops and risk damaging the phone to open it up since it belongs to work.

The other big secret that no one talks about is how incredibly noisy they are.  If there are any speakers near the phone, they start clicking and popping like crazy at random times.  And, no, telling everyone on the planet to replace their speakers with shielded speakers so that the iPhone doesn't cause a problem with them is not the answer.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 01:50:07 AM »
The battery on my iphone is fine unless it can't find cell service.... It really sucks up the battery when it's constantly looking for a cell signal when your out of range...
The building I work in blocks cell signals so bad that I just turn off the phone when I'm there. If I don't half the battery will drain in 8 hours.....

Quote from: Belial6;563407
I hear that.  I have an iPhone from work, and I gave up on carrying it because the battery is so bad that I had to keep a charger everyplace or it would die on me.  Of course, maybe the battery has just gone, but I'm not willing to jump through the hoops and risk damaging the phone to open it up since it belongs to work.

The other big secret that no one talks about is how incredibly noisy they are.  If there are any speakers near the phone, they start clicking and popping like crazy at random times.  And, no, telling everyone on the planet to replace their speakers with shielded speakers so that the iPhone doesn't cause a problem with them is not the answer.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 02:07:03 AM »
Maybe my comment is a silly one but... really this forum is about amiga users? Two pages in some hours just for the "new" iphone, other for the "great" ipad (iphone xl?). Kill the interest about this forum.
a1200 060

Offline kolla

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 03:04:19 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;563412
Maybe my comment is a silly one but... really this forum is about amiga users? Two pages in some hours just for the "new" iphone, other for the "great" ipad (iphone xl?). Kill the interest about this forum.

Yes, you are silly - this is under "other operating systems".
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 03:33:47 AM »
I find the battery life also depends on how much you use the wifi, it's a pain but it really saves battery life if you turn off wifi when you are not using it.  Yeah, I'd have gone with a bigger battery rather than a thinner case too.

The flash on the camera, the front facing camera, 5 MP all make sense, but why didn't they do them last year?

Will I get one in a year when my contract with vodaphone expires?  You betcha...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 04:28:03 AM »
Looks like a pretty good upgrade.  HD screen and video is nice.  I'm waiting to see how the multitasking works (and how it affects battery life).  My contract is up at the end of the year and I need to decide.  Stay with my current CDMA carrier and go with an Android or Windows Phone 7, or suffer with AT&T and get an Iphone.  (AT&T sucks here and the fact that iPhone itself gets bad reception doesn't help, of course then there is the fact that it appears they have eliminated all unlimited data plans which might be the last straw.)
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 05:44:48 AM »
I have both an iPhone and and Android.  My original Android was the MyTouch 3G.  I have to say that the phone was a little underpowered for the OS.  It was still a great phone, and I liked it a little better than the iPhone, but it was a tough call.  Using a class 6 SD card made a huge difference, as well as rooting it and putting on cynogen's OS image helped.  With both changes, the hardware is just enough.  I suspect that when 2.2 rolls out, it will make the hardware plenty adequet, and better than an iPhone 3G.

I recently passed my MyTouch on to my son, and upgraded to a Nexus One.  Hands down it is a better phone than the iPhone.  The only piece that I miss is that Lotus Traveler is not available for it yet.  Given the specs of the iPhone 4, I don't see it blowing the Nexus One out of the water, and since there is a continuous stream on new Android hardware being released, I don't hold much hope for iPhone's future.

Earlier in the thread, someone claimed that Apple was the new Microsoft.  It would be better to describe Apple as the new Apple, and Google as the new Microsoft.  Apple is taking the same path that they did with the Mac.  They produced a very good product that is a fine integration between hardware and software.  They deny their failings, thus continuing on with them, and expect people to just assume that they are better.  This compared to their competition which produces an OS that starts out kludgier, but keeps refining itself until it is better than Apples offerings.  At the same time leaving dozens of other companies to push the hardware limits past what a single company can accomplish on their own.

Oh, and I can play Amiga games on my Nexus One without having to void the warranty.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 07:01:36 AM »
With the disclaimer that the company I work for does customer service for Sprint, but the Evo looks like a more interesting device than this, plus you can actually have unlimited data, rather than paying extra past 2 gigs, which is AT&T's setup going forward.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;563399
Anybody that owns an iPhone knows that one little flaw we try to keep hidden from the world.  Battery life is the suck.  

I'd rather keep the same thickness and get 24 percent longer battery life.

Suck being the operative word.  They drain so quickly under full usage that they nearly turn inside out...

Gertsy

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;563510
Suck being the operative word.  They drain so quickly under full usage that they nearly turn inside out...

Gertsy
To be fair, If you just use the iPhone as a phone it has great battery life... It's when you start surfing the net, playing games and watching movies, that's when it really sucks the battery... And the situation is identical on the NexusONE (the only android phone I have regular access to)... All smart phones are at the mercy of battery physics.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 03:41:55 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;563513
To be fair, If you just use the iPhone as a phone it has great battery life... It's when you start surfing the net, playing games and watching movies, that's when it really sucks the battery... And the situation is identical on the NexusONE (the only android phone I have regular access to)... All smart phones are at the mercy of battery physics.

Have to agree.   If I use my Nokia N900 for anyhting on top of phonning  im lucky if it lasts the day.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline motrucker

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 03:44:41 PM »
I thought this was an Amiga site?  No one here should give a tinker's damn about anything Apple related. Even in Apple world, the iPhone should be at the bottom of the list.
WHO CARES!
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 03:55:33 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;563519
I thought this was an Amiga site? No one here should give a tinker's damn about anything Apple related. Even in Apple world, the iPhone should be at the bottom of the list.
WHO CARES!

I suggest you look which forum this is posted in.  Shock people who have an interest in Amigas have an interest in other technology and god forbid other subjects.

Get over it.  Get fed up of people going this is not Amiga related.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 04:24:37 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;563519
I thought this was an Amiga site?  No one here should give a tinker's damn about anything Apple related. Even in Apple world, the iPhone should be at the bottom of the list.
WHO CARES!

I don't really think it is an "Amiga" website as much as it is an "Amiga Community" website.

That being the case, many people in this nerdy Amiga community also, shockingly, like plain nerdy technology in general.

This is posted in the "Alternative Operating Systems" forum.  If you want to read about just Amiga WHY are you in here?  Alternative in this case meaning specifically a forum for "Not Amiga Operating Systems".  

There are many other forums here too:

Politics
Philosophy and Religion
Entertainment
Science and Technology
etc...

Would post in there telling people not to discuss politics and only Amiga stuff?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:26:51 PM by AmigaHeretic »
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 08, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I think they are mad cause "Alternative Operating Systems" post appear on the main page. Though I'm not sure why they would click in and comment on a thread called "iphone 4" if they have no interest in it?

Quote from: AmigaHeretic;563528
I don't really think it is an "Amiga" website as much as it is an "Amiga Community" website.

That being the case, many people in this nerdy Amiga community also, shockingly, like plain nerdy technology in general.

This is posted in the "Alternative Operating Systems" forum.  If you want to read about just Amiga WHY are you in here?  Alternative in this case meaning specifically a forum for "Not Amiga Operating Systems".  

There are many other forums here too:

Politics
Philosophy and Religion
Entertainment
Science and Technology
etc...

Would post in there telling people not to discuss politics and only Amiga stuff?