Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi To Embrace RISC OS  (Read 5734 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Raspberry Pi To Embrace RISC OS
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 01, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »
Quote from: cicero790;666047
What a useless piece of crap. The cpu is a steaming pile of manure. Come on, what can u use it for. It will stand like a retarded lame duck on the desk. A monument to failure. Cheap sticker on the side. Weak, useless, powerless, utter crap, and it have a bum OS on top of that .
It's underpowered for daily-use computing, sure - but as it says in the article, that's exactly what they're trying to avoid it being used for. It's not a replacement for a modern system, it's a machine on which students can learn how to make the computer work themselves. It's like an updated version of a home computer running Basic. And that, I think, is exactly what schools these days are missing.

Quote from: koaftder;666058
RISC OS is crap and trying to use it for educational purposes is a waste of time. If one needs a system for teaching students with the goal of being able to understand every facet of the device, a micro controller is a more suitable platform. If the goal is to teach students how to write programs that run under an OS, linux or windows is far more suitable as those skills can apply directly in the real world.
There's a pretty big difference between learning how to write programs in an operating-system environment with interactive debugging and trying to write low-level hardware-banging code, and I don't think too many kids will be open to learning the latter before they've figured out the former. And while Windows or Linux are certainly more commonly used, neither one is something that a grade-school student just getting their feet wet would ever have any hope of understanding. Something simpler and more easily comprehended is definitely called for, and while I don't know if RISC OS is it, it's certainly a hell of a lot closer.

Also, the moment you start talking about putting the kibosh on learning things that don't "apply directly in the real world," you've abandoned real education for the churning out of factory and office drones (the thing that currently characterizes the American school system, which as you may have heard, sucks.) The hell with that.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;666077

Also, the moment you start talking about putting the kibosh on learning things that don't "apply directly in the real world," you've abandoned real education for the churning out of factory and office drones (the thing that currently characterizes the American school system, which as you may have heard, sucks.) The hell with that.

Teaching kids to think for themselves doesn't make them good little consumers.

Offline obscurepanic

• Show only replies by obscurepanic
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »
RISC OS's GUI is interesting enough to make me interested. Maybe a British tech company can make a RISC OS-inspired operating system for the average computer users.

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
@commodorejohn
So you say it could be useful and fun. In that case I wish it all well.
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline nicholas

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 05:18:40 PM »
Quote from: runequester;666079
Teaching kids to think for themselves doesn't make them good little consumers.

+1
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Normally I am the first to poo-poo all these embedded/SOC things trying to re-invent the world, but the education aspect is a very powerful one if it gets into the proper hands.  Sadly things in the computer education world are so geared towards "look towards the future" rather than making people respect the past and do as much as they can with fewer resources.

RiscOS I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot clown pole, but that's mainly due to the fact that I, like many guys in North America - just are not familiar with it, and find it inelegant.  Fiddling around with Linux on it, that's another story.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 05:21:05 PM by Duce »

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 06:36:02 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;666067
It's not PPC, AROS is the only OS that supports ARM :)

My point exactly....... Gimme this, with a MiniMig case, pre-built and it's cost effective, but I digress........ :confused:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline nicholas

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 07:19:41 PM »
Quote from: Duce;666097
I, like many guys in North America - just are not familiar with it, and find it inelegant.

How can you find it inelegant if you are not familiar with it?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »
This will be fun . . . $35 computer . . . Have wanted to try RiscOS for some time now.  Wonder how much it will cost and which version it will be? :-)
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline beakster2

• Show only replies by beakster2
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
I'm very excited about this.  I'll be ordering a Model A and a Model B as soon as they go on sale.  First thing I'll do is have shot of the Linux hosted ARM port of AROS.

They are going to sell a lot of these things and once native AROS is on there it will be a great way to attract more people to the community.  The vast majority of initial customers are going to be hacker types who like messing about with things, so just the sort of people that will find AROS interesting.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:25:53 PM by beakster2 »

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 09:37:54 PM »
Sorry Nicholas, I should have been more clear.  I've used RiscOS a number of times, but not for long enough to know it terrifically well.  Most of the Acorn systems I ever fiddled around with were essentially "collectors" pieces, as no one I knew over here ever really had one back in the day.

Functionally I found it to be a lot of fun, but not something I would enjoy using on any regular basis.  More of a personal taste issue, I just found the GUI ugly in all sorts of ungodly ways, lol.

We didn't see a heck of a lot of RiscOS/Acorn systems over here in North America, so I always saw the GUI visually offputting.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 09:52:29 PM »
There's a pretty big difference between learning how to write programs in an operating-system environment with interactive debugging and trying to write low-level hardware-banging code, and I don't think too many kids will be open to learning the latter before they've figured out the former. And while Windows or Linux are certainly more commonly used, neither one is something that a grade-school student just getting their feet wet would ever have any hope of understanding. Something simpler and more easily comprehended is definitely called for, and while I don't know if RISC OS is it, it's certainly a hell of a lot closer.

Kids seem to be getting along just fine these days with python on windows, linux and macs. Python is the new basic. It's amazing what they have access to and can accomplish. I cut my teeth on a Vic-20, moved onto a c64 and then the amiga. Eventually learned C and assembler on a 386. All I ever wanted to code when I was a kid was graphics stuff. Not surprising, graphics code is instant gratification. On those old systems it was damn hard to do anything impressive. That was my motivation to learn C and assembler as a kid. Life would have been a hell of a lot more fun if I had Python, SDL and OpenGL when I was a kid not to mention Javascript.

I can't imagine in this day and age foisting RISC OS on a kid as some kind of educational endevour. Forcing them to slog through all that ancient esoteric crap would be sure to loose their attention.  The only people who really think that's a good idea are middle aged nerds pining for the olden days shaking their fists up in the air about how things ain't as simple as they used to be.

And yes, stuff that can be used in the real world matters. Give a guy a tool he can use in the environment he lives in and stuff gets built. Give a guy a tool he can't use in the environment he lives in and nothing will ever be accomplished.

And as far as the educational system in the USA goes, it's not that bad. The problem is the parents who expect the government to turn their kids into successful people while barely lifting a finger themselves.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 10:34:03 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;666153
Kids seem to be getting along just fine these days with python on windows, linux and macs. Python is the new basic. It's amazing what they have access to and can accomplish.
I have my beefs with Python (literal whitespace? In the 21st century? Really?) but yeah, it's pretty all right, and I'd definitely prefer it over Java as a teaching tool. But! I think there's a lot of value in giving kids tools and an environment that let them (when they're ready) look past the interpreter environment and the standard libraries and discover the rest of the system, and while Python does provide facilities for that, they're not particularily good facilities, and it doesn't really encourage that mindset. (Though to its credit, it doesn't actively discourage it like some other languages...)

I can't imagine in this day and age foisting RISC OS on a kid as some kind of educational endevour. Forcing them to slog through all that ancient esoteric crap would be sure to loose their attention.  The only people who really think that's a good idea are middle aged nerds pining for the olden days shaking their fists up in the air about how things ain't as simple as they used to be.
Again, I'm not advocating for RISC OS specifically - I haven't used it or programmed for it, so I don't know whether it's as arcane as all that. What I do think is that there's value in giving students an OS environment that's functional, but simple enough in both principle and implementation that they can really understand it. I believe the original Amiga OS approached this goal (though it had its flaws,) I don't know if RISC OS does or not. But from what was being said in the article, that's their goal here, and putting aside the question of any specific OS, I find that philosophy very encouraging.

And yes, stuff that can be used in the real world matters. Give a guy a tool he can use in the environment he lives in and stuff gets built. Give a guy a tool he can't use in the environment he lives in and nothing will ever be accomplished.
Not so much. It's certainly true you'd have very limited application in the real world for the API specifics of such a niche OS, but that isn't the point - the point is to instill in students a mindset of "computers are not magic, this is stuff that I can learn and understand myself." A mindset like this is the difference between someone who churns out template code because he's paid to and someone who really understands, enjoys, and is enriched by programming - and it's something that damn near nobody teaches these days.

90% of learning to program is getting into the right mindsets - learning to think about structure before you start banging out half-formed implementations, learning to always check your assumptions when debugging, etc. These things are universal; a good programmer is a good programmer no matter what OS, language, or toolchain they're using.

(Except COBOL.)

And as far as the educational system in the USA goes, it's not that bad. The problem is the parents who expect the government to turn their kids into successful people while barely lifting a finger themselves.
While parental disinvolvement is certainly an issue, I've spoken with teachers and former students alike who agree that the system as it stands is geared towards producing ready-made drone workers fitted with predetermined skillsets, not educated at all (because that would take more effort, require dealing with students as individuals instead of as faceless numbers, and might make them troublesome in the workforce.) I was fortunate enough to be home-schooled and never had to deal with the educational system until I reached college, but everything I've seen confirms this.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline chris

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 11:06:55 PM »
It's underpowered for daily-use computing, sure - but as it says in the article, that's exactly what they're trying to avoid it being used for. It's not a replacement for a modern system, it's a machine on which students can learn how to make the computer work themselves. It's like an updated version of a home computer running Basic. And that, I think, is exactly what schools these days are missing.

It's exactly like an updated version of a home computer running BASIC.  RISC OS still has a built-in BASIC interpreter and BBC BASIC is one of the best examples of BASIC available; it even manages in-line assembler.  It certainly isn't BASIC as you are expecting it to be.

@People who haven't used RISC OS

It really is a truly great example of user interface design.  Everything is drag'n'drop, even saving and loading files.  All menus are context-sensitive.  Applications are tidied up into directories.  The close gadget is in the correct place ;)

Coincidentally I recently posted a thread about ArcEm, so anybody wanting to try out RISC OS might like to look here: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59609
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:09:29 PM by chris »
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz