Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blue Flash  (Read 810 times)

Description:

Offline PGitTopic starter

• Show only replies by PGit
Blue Flash
« on: December 07, 2005, 06:30:35 PM »
I've been trying to assemble a PC, I decided to test it to see if it would boot up, periphials such as the hd and floppy were disconnected and I plugged it in. Switched on the socket and nothing happened. I tried the same with the ac switch on 230v and got a blue flash, then still nothing (including the power supply fan doesn't spin).

I fear that I may have blown the motherboard (though it was lifted of the case by the supplied spacers).

The video card, cpu and the ram were connected though, would these have been damaged.
Skegness Film Makers Society

Re: Blue Flash
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:06:58 PM »
I've tested the PSU by shorting the on pin to a ground pin and
it didn't work so it may be the psu that isn`t working and not the motherboard.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 10:24:48 PM »
I may have to get a new motherboard anyway.
The one I brought off ebay (or thought i had) and the one I was sent are not the same, the seller sent an e-mail stating this nbut I presumed that it meant a different revision, no it's a completly different make with only 4x AGP (whereas the one I thought i was getting had 8x so my graphics card isn't compatible with it) and 333 DDr instead of 400.

Offline amigaoneproductions

• Show only replies by amigaoneproductions
    • http://www.amigaoneproductions.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 12:11:07 AM »
The only to be sure of what component is at fault,  PSU, motherboard etc,  is to replace each part with known good and see what happens.

I would double check all your connections and make sure that there is no possibility of a short anywhere.
While you are diagnosing,  only have connected what is really necessary for the board to show signs of life,  this will make testing easier.

One thing that caught me out once was an extra screw post on the case and no corisponding hole on the motherboard for a screw,  when I powered on with the post touching the back of the board,  a chip on the motherboard got so hot that when I was dignosing what went wrong and touched the chip,  a layer of skin came away from my finger and attached itself to the chip.  A few expletives later I realised that I had fried both the motherboard and my finger  :-(

Good luck :-)
Stay safe on the Internet
http://www.fraudwatchers.org

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 12:51:41 AM »

PGit wrote:
Switched on the socket and nothing happened. I tried the same with the ac switch on 230v and got a blue flash

AC switch? Do you mean the little orange one that selects the PSU input between 230v and 110v ?
 I know this is gonna sound stupid, but did you check the fuse in the mains plug?
On schedule, and suing

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 03:46:42 AM »
Was the flash followed by an extremely foul smell? I've lost many a PSU to capacitors crapping out. None of which has ever damaged my systems.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -