Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thinking of upgrading my PC  (Read 808 times)

Description:

Offline X-rayTopic starter

• Show only replies by X-ray
Thinking of upgrading my PC
« on: October 15, 2005, 02:51:26 PM »
I have an Athlon-based PC (1.7gHz) that I have added bits and pieces to over the last 3 years. I recently made a poster for one of the girls at work (a big b*stard of an image, 11k x 8k for printing at A0 size). I may be doing more of these in the future. Anyway I have memory and performance gripes now (I got out of memory errors even though I have 2gb of RAM and some of the filters were very slow in execution on this CPU). Sooooo I am considering an upgrade. I can't get just a CPU and I can't put any RAM on this mobo, so I am thinking of a new mobo or an entirely new PC.

I went to the computer fair this morning and checked out some prices. In terms of a new PC I can get the following set-up for £515:

AMD Athlon 64 bit (3500)
1 GB RAM
200 GB HD
256 MB GeForce AGP
DVD ReWriter Dual Layer
Firewire, 10/100 network, USB2 front and rear, keyboard mouse, speakers. Windows is installed on the machine already.

That's with a 3 year warranty RTB and the first year incudes parts and labour.
I might be able to knock him down on price if he doesn't give me the DVD, mouse, keyboard and speakers. If so I can probably get this PC for about £470 because I am a returning customer too.

Anyway, in terms of not spending that much, there is the option of only getting a mobo and CPU. A dude there is selling a GA-K8NS-Pro with CPU (3000) and fan for £150.
But reviews of that mobo are mixed. And I'll probably have to buy Winblows XP if I just change mobos.

What to do?
If I go the mobo route are there any mobos to recommend, any to avoid?

Offline c64_d0c

• Show only replies by c64_d0c
Re: Thinking of upgrading my PC
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 03:13:05 PM »
that sounds good...
________
Coach handbags
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:47:55 AM by c64_d0c »
On schedule and rockin\\\'!!!1!!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 05:06:17 PM »
I just finished building a new PC with my 12 year old son for his birthday present in August and used the guides at Arstecnica.com to choose the parts (most of them anyway).  We chose the Budget Gaming machine to build with an MSI K8N-Neo-F MoBo w/Athlon 64 3000+ CPU.  This combination was rated best bang for the bucks and we have been very pleased with it so far.  Arstecnica updates their building guides every few months and has a great price searching engine to find the best prices for each piece on the Internet to make it easy to find and buy all the pieces.

My suggestion is to build it yourself if you are capable and want to save some money.

:-D
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline X-rayTopic starter

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 06:02:13 PM »
Thanks Amigadave, I'll look at those guides