Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GPL MorphOS?  (Read 9296 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: GPL MorphOS?
« Reply #59 from previous page: April 10, 2003, 12:47:57 PM »
BSD is going down the tubes... because of 'free'... since it cant profiet..

So why did Apple choose this "dying" platform as the basis of MacOS X?  :-)

Offline jacadcaps

• Show only replies by jacadcaps
    • http://dreamolers.meanmachine.ch
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2003, 01:19:03 PM »
Please stop this nonsense. Releasing source is not possible and not necessary.

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2003, 01:30:57 PM »
So why did Apple choose this "dying" platform as the basis of MacOS X?

And I do believe that major components of Windows are BSD code too.

Offline mahen

• Show only replies by mahen
    • http://mahen.free.fr
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2003, 03:13:26 PM »
I think MOS shouldn't go GPL (unless Genesi goes Bankrupt).

The fact that Genesi makes money with the pegasos enables them to pay full time developers, license stuff, promote their system, develop new hardware etc... It's a living platform...

Putting it GPL is a bit as if you expected people to develop commercial games & apps for, let's say, SkyOS.

Anyway, Aros is a good thing too.

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2003, 06:22:00 PM »
@mdma

Only the TCP stack is BSD code, but then again it's rare you find the non-BSD based TCP stack.

Windows is based on either:

MS-DOS (Win9x series)
OS/2 (WinNT series)
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2003, 07:21:34 PM »
On what evidence do you base this comment?

the fact that everybody rips off BSD code... gives credit...and leaves you no reason to use BSD... since its got nothing useful about it as a stand alone product of its own anymore...

sure OSX used Darwin... but hell.. Windows/Linux and half a dozen other OS's stole parts of BSD... dosent mean BSD itself is doing well...

their going down the tubes... FBSD 5.0 is years late... years.... and for its purposes its pretty obselete.....

because a company couldnt form around FBSD to profit since its a 'totally free' code... wich is why I think their license is a joke...and I'd hate to see anything form out of...

nothing against AROS... but imagine if you had  backer and you where able to work full-time (the whole team) on AROS ... and make a living doing it?... would you want to GPL it then? if it where more then a hobby...if it where a fine-tuned product you worked day in /day out on for years to make perfect?... I think not... and if you did GPL It after so long... do you think it would keep developing at the same pace ?.. do you think the code quality would stay the same?...

I doubt it...

Mandrake= Free = went out of business

Red Hat =Free cheap version=costly workstation/server versions= staying in business

same for SuSE and others...

the 'free' versions wich are totally dedicated to giving away their product and not making any money are drying up.... because that was their goal from day 1... to dry up... it was just a hobby anyway..

and if you think its BS about FreeBSD ... compare how  BSD did when it was backed by Berkeley in the past with how its doing now not making any money... it was at the forfront of technology... now its at the back end.. with versions bieng released years late... and no 'new' technology offerings in its OS... its gone completely hobby... they sell CD's and T-Shirts to make money... how cool is that?

Offline bbrv

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2003, 08:10:55 PM »
Just a quick note...OpenBSD is running on the Pegasos.  As for MorphOS, GPL is not something we are considering.

Best regards,

Raquel and Bill :-)

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2003, 10:20:23 PM »
As for MorphOS, GPL is not something we are considering.

@bbrv

What about shared source like Microsoft has recenty announced?

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2003, 12:15:04 AM »

mdma wrote:
As for MorphOS, GPL is not something we are considering.

@bbrv

What about shared source like Microsoft has recenty announced?

For MS Windows CE product range, any modifications made may belong to Microsoft.  A similar license is Sun’s Open Office initiative.

With MS (i.e. Windows CE context), the entity that created the modifications may have 6-month exclusive license using this particular modifications.  

With the dual support for IA-64 and X-86-32/64 Windows (on top of MS application development), MS may not have the manpower to support multitudes of hardware configuration for Windows CE, thus their opening of Windows CE's source code.    

The last multi-platform Windows/Application venture is Windows NT 4.0 (i.e. PPC, Alpha, MIPS, X86-32). We all know what has happened to that venture i.e. running out of manpower.

Reference;
==========================================
http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS6015823526.html
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2003, 12:21:19 AM »

bloodline wrote:
BSD is going down the tubes... because of 'free'... since it cant profiet..

So why did Apple choose this "dying" platform as the basis of MacOS X?  :-)

apple can stick their proprietary software on top and make money from it!

they are not using much more than the kernal, the user interface & other software for maxOS X is excellent,so there is good reason people will pay money for it

there isnt much money in just kernel's these days, unless you make RTOS for embeded devices, but even then it wouldnt be very profitable