Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Adult conversation about this whole EULA issue.  (Read 14687 times)

Description:

Offline Serpi

• Show all replies
Re: Adult conversation about this whole EULA issue.
« on: August 22, 2003, 01:08:24 PM »
Because more people want AmigaOS?

This is the thing I'm wondering about in the whole thread...
Why the hell do Pegasos/MOS people want OS3.9?
I mean, it's always told that that MOS is that superior and does (or will do) everything a classic Amiga can do.
And as there are so much people telling that the TCP/IP stack in OS3.9 is not licenced (as an argument why it isn't so bad not to have one in MOS) do they now want that thing from the OS3.9 cd?
The only thing you need a real AmigaOS would be for using UAE, but - as MOS is such a good Amiga emulation - you do only need it for hardware banging software, most of them classic games, but surely not a single one that needs OS3.5/3.9, better to get OS1.2 to 3.1 for that (there is surely no hardware banging software that needs more then OS3.1).
So, why does a Pegasos owner should want OS3.9?

(I really mean this question serious, no flaming!)

Ciao, Alfred

Offline Serpi

• Show all replies
Re: Adult conversation about this whole EULA issue.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »
OS3.9's biggest plus is it bundles tons of freeware off Aminet that Amigans use daily and take for granted.

I never noticed that when using OS3.9, what software do you mean?
Really, I cannot remember "tons of freeware" that I have installed together with OS3.9; most things are part of OS3.9 (new icon.library, workbench.library, the Dock, aml.library, etc) or not so free software (Genesis, cd file system) or it's ARexx, where people again are telling, it's doubtfull that it's really licenced for OS3.x.
And from the few usefull things in the contribution folder, that are *really* freeware, there surely exists already a newer version in Aminet, so you should better go and get some AMinet cds.
Don't get me wrong, MOS1.4 is much more complete than OS3.1 but you get my point.

I believe that MOS1.4 has more features then OS3.1 (even when still missing a few OS3.1 features/parts) but it seems it's far away from completing compatibility to the last official AmigaOS, that's the only reason I see for this.
And so, no, I do not really get your point, I'm afraid. I think, instead of buying OS3.9 cds, Genesi should work harder to get MOS more compatible with AmigaOS.

Ciao, Alfred