Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Gods', now how awesome is that?  (Read 4888 times)

Description:

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
Re: 'Gods', now how awesome is that?
« Reply #14 from previous page: August 17, 2011, 08:53:39 PM »
Quote from: save2600;654966
Agreed. Gods kicks ass. Much better than this fancy 3D God of War crap the kids are playing today.  :lol:

Myth is another decent side-scroller along the same lines, but I haven't booted that one up in quite a while. Not sure how well that ones held up comparatively.

If we talk about the same game I played the C64 version a lot and when I bought my A500 I was a little let down by it, thought the gameplay was better on the C64 and it was descent for a C64 game.

That is from memory though from all those years so I should really give it another go :-) . Is it about fighting monsters and gods from the greek mythology (did I spell it correctly?)? If it is that game I loved it on the C64 but didn't give it many tries on the Amiga.

Offline Retrograde

• Show only replies by Retrograde
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 09:09:33 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;655109

That is from memory though from all those years so I should really give it another go :-) . Is it about fighting monsters and gods from the greek mythology (did I spell it correctly?)? If it is that game I loved it on the C64 but didn't give it many tries on the Amiga.

Yep that's the one!
It was really ace on the C64, but very difficult, the intro with the sampled speech and music is just wonderful! Great graphics too for that system.

I've tried the Amiga version but the main char looks different, it feels different, dunno kinda hard to put my finger on it.

Offline SkidMajor

• Show only replies by SkidMajor
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »
Superb game. Up there with Speedball 2 & Chaos Engine. ( Not Chaos Engine 2, that was a FAIL :confused: )
SKIDROW PRESENTS....

A1200/8G HDD/8MEG RAM/MINT
A500/4MEG RAM/GONE YELLOW
MORE ORIGINAL BOXED GAMES THAN JAY MINER COULD HAVE THROWN TO HIS DOG

@SkidsRetroGames
@twitter - Follow me!
------------------------------------
F1 - UNLIMITED LIVES
F2 - EXTRA CHUNKS PLEASE!
F3 - PEACE ON EARTH
F4 - NOT THAT MUCH PEACE ON EARTH
F5 - MOUSE
F6 - JOYSTICK

A SHOUT OUT TO VEGNAcore RIP... FOR NOW..

Offline DrDekker

• Show only replies by DrDekker
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 01:01:55 PM »
Gods is my favourite Amiga game of all time.  I got this game free when I subscribed to Amiga Format.
I've completed it many times and still never tire of it since throwing switches and completing puzzles in different combinations or orders often yields different bonuses and levels of gameplay.

To this day I still haven't managed to reveal the secret platform to enable me to operate the stone button above the last ladder in the first level/world.  There was a walk through in either AF or CU Amiga which described how this was done and I'm sure it was time related - but despite my best efforts I've never done it.  There's an invisible platform in the second level too that I've never been able to 'use'.

I think these 'challenges' alone will keep me playing Gods until I've discovered their secrets.
Any ideas?

Chaos Engine is probably my next favourite, closely followed by Cannon Fodder, Pinball Illusions, Speedball 2 and Magic Pockets.
A1200, M-Tec 1230 @28MHz, FPU, MMU, 8Mb fast ram, SCSI card, 512Mb HD, Power CDROM drive, PS2 optical mouse

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »
I also played Myth: History in the making but on ZX Spectrum; what an amazing game. fabulous.

about Gods, the only thing it lacks is better animation. somehow there seems to be some small 'delay'/latency in controls. and its not easy.
someone said that it features copy protection so it becomes too hard to finish. maybe that's "adjusting to your playstyle"
Better sorry than worry.

Offline Paulie85

• Show only replies by Paulie85
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »
Hmm that avatar looks a little familiar...

Offline martin.demsky

• Show only replies by martin.demsky
    • http://www.martindemsky.com
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 01:54:22 PM »
Believe me or not, but i really never played/saw Gods until now. Of course i know main theme, because i am big fan of R. Joseph, but from what i see on YouTube... i don't like how looks "hero". With my friends we often played Yo! Joe! which was very fun and cool game.

BTW i also played Myth on ZX Speccy with tape, today i can't believe i came back from school and played once again everything from beginning. Spectrum version was more monochromatic than C64/Amiga and sound effects was only for AY chip, but i liked it more :)

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 04:34:15 PM »
Quote from: martin.demsky;658183
Believe me or not, but i really never played/saw Gods until now. Of course i know main theme, because i am big fan of R. Joseph, but from what i see on YouTube... i don't like how looks "hero". With my friends we often played Yo! Joe! which was very fun and cool game.

BTW i also played Myth on ZX Speccy with tape, today i can't believe i came back from school and played once again everything from beginning. Spectrum version was more monochromatic than C64/Amiga and sound effects was only for AY chip, but i liked it more :)

Hi! What keyboard is in your avatar? :-D

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 05:39:23 PM »
Quote from: Retrograde;655262
Yep that's the one!
It was really ace on the C64, but very difficult, the intro with the sampled speech and music is just wonderful! Great graphics too for that system.

I've tried the Amiga version but the main char looks different, it feels different, dunno kinda hard to put my finger on it.

Got to agree on this one, I found Myth much more enjoyable on the C64, The music  is also just fantastic.
Same can also be said for the likes  of the Last Ninja trilogy (C64) in every department. I might as well also  mention Flimbos Quest  (c64) while im at it, great music!  and  quite an enjoyable game.  System 3 overload!

Treat your eyes and ears
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSFcQ5Taq3o

Back on topic. Gods=awesome
:)

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 05:59:13 PM »
I had a bet with an ex-girlfriend that I could beat Gods drunk - I wrapped it eight times before I gave up 'cause I had a zillion lives :)

The Chaos Engine - now there's a game :D
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Offline martin.demsky

• Show only replies by martin.demsky
    • http://www.martindemsky.com
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 09:58:32 PM »
Quote from: Darth_X;658193
Hi! What keyboard is in your avatar? :-D

nah, thats my beloved Kurzweil K2000, i like new orchestral libs and VST instruments, but Kurzweil is something like my DNA-core sound, i am supporting this brand here in Central Europe, also have produced my own synth library exclusively for K2000.

You may like that K2000 have Motorola MC68000 CPU as OS heart, but also many DSP processors for VAST synthesis.

End of OT :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:10:01 PM by martin.demsky »

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
Quote from: save2600;654966
Agreed. Much better than this fancy 3D God of War crap the kids are playing today.  :lol:

Hmmmm......

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 08:20:56 AM »
Gods,... one of the most over rated games ever. I really never understood why people liked it. It played like a wet blanket. Sluggish, slightly unresponsive, repetitive gameplay, dull gfx, and so on and so forth. There's much better examples of the gamestyle on Amiga. Even Myth was better in my opinion (although even that was inferiror to c64/speccy versions). Risky Woods kicked seven shades of grey out of it. Even Deliverance, which was also fairly repetitive, and inspired by Gods did it better (not to mention the fact it didnt play like the joystick was submerged in mud).

I tried to like Gods, I really did. Went back to it many times trying to find the appeal, but always ended up feelig I was the only one there,.... "hello? gameplay? are you here?". I never received a response. :)

Needless to say, I didnt just not like it. I hated it :) The only Bitmap Brothers game that was worse was Magic Pockets.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:25:52 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.