Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Emu roms & real Amiga 500  (Read 3370 times)

Description:

Emu roms & real Amiga 500
« on: November 29, 2002, 12:07:06 AM »
Can I copy a downloaded rom to a floppy and use with my A500? If I have to do something special, please tell me!!

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
Re: Emu roms & real Amiga 500
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 12:14:28 AM »
Hi,

Can I copy a downloaded rom to a floppy and use with my A500?

Nope
The Amiga 500, like all Amiga`s except the A1000 has the rom...ermmm in a rom... Its a chip thats mounted on the motherboard.
Also a rom downloaded off the net is illegal, Amiga have never given the right for anyone to upload the rom image to a web page.
The only way  you will be able to upgrade your Amiga is to buy the kickstart chip from an Amiga dealer (Yes, All Amiga stockists will carry the kickstart for your Amiga 500) and if the rom was a real 100% correct dump of the original kickstart you would have to buy an Emprom burner and make the chip yourself which would cost a lot more than the legal chip.

Sorry.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2002, 12:22:25 AM »
I meant games.. I don´t know if they are illegal. Can play downloaded games with my old A500?

And sorry for my bad english =)

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2002, 12:39:04 AM »

ooiu wrote:
I meant games.. I don´t know if they are illegal. Can play downloaded games with my old A500?

You can, but there are a few steps you'll usually have to go through.

First, most of the downloadable games (and I'm talking legal ones from sites like back 2 the roots) are in adf format.    This works for uae style emulation, but you can't put it on a disk and expect it to run on a real Amiga.

You need to convert the adf file to a real disk.  This requires some software (I use ADFblitzer from Aminet) running on a real Amiga.  This writes the content of the adf file back to an Amiga disk.   That disk can then be used on machines like A500s.

If you've downloaded the file via a PC, you'll need to get the adf file from the PC to the Amiga that is going to be doing the converting.   CrossDos or something similar will do for a floppy based transfer.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2002, 12:51:31 AM »
So,  I have to run adf-converter with Amiga? How do i do that CrossDos thing? Just copy files from my pc hdd to a floppy? Then I take the floppy to my Amiga and run the adf-converter. Am I right?

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2002, 02:20:58 AM »
what file types can amiga read? If I want my adfs work with my amiga, what file type should i aim to?

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2002, 02:23:04 AM »
I found this great tutorial! Enjoy =)

http://ale.emuunlim.com/unpack-adf.htm