Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: the difference between homebrew and 'proper' releases  (Read 900 times)

Description:

Offline garethamigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by garethamiga
the difference between homebrew and 'proper' releases
« on: August 21, 2003, 03:43:10 PM »
Hello.

I was reading about some Amiga games: T-Zero, Bubble Heroes, Quake II, as well as others.
I've never seen them on sale.  Were these games commercially and professionally released ie. could in no way be mistaken for homebrew?

I'll clarify that.  I have played a demo disc of T-Zero and the game is obviously of a professional standard, but that doesn't automatically mean it's a 'proper' release.  Perhaps the best game that you ever played is a homebrew.
Someone could easily make a good quality colour CD inlay and distribute a game through their own website or Internet mail order companies.

There are telltale signs, of course.
This could be - although not necessarily this - an official guidance logo, from the ELSPA or the BBFC in the UK, or the ESRB in the US.
You know what I mean - www.esrb.org/esrbratings_guide.asp#symbols

If Amiga Quake II comes in a big box, is it Activision's box for the IBM clone PC but containing Amiga discs ie. the previously released, 'proper' PC box?  (Whenever I've seen it on Ebay there's been no pictures...tch!)

Tip Of The Day: to refute something means to use evidence to prove it incorrect.  It does not mean 'deny'.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
Re: the difference between homebrew and 'proper' releases
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 04:16:34 PM »
@garethamiga

It's a complicated question.

The games you mention were commercial releases (i.e published in their own packaging through various outlets)

However, Amiga publishing is a very small business these days, so it's hard to keep down production costs by mass production. What happens is that publishers are forced to stick to small production runs and they have to look to cut costs where they can.

Here's something to consider: what is a "professional" package?  Is a game that only requires a leaflet for a manual unprofessionally packaged because it sells in a jewel case?  Is a program burned onto a CDR with an inkjet printed label and no manual professionally packaged just because it's in a big custom made cardboard box?  I've seen examples of both.

It's catch 22. If the packaging is not professional the product won't get onto the shelves of the major retailers, but if those retailers won't stock your product you may not get the sales to support professional packaging.

A lot of commercial Amiga software has been very poorly packaged in recent years. It's a sign of the times.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Im>bE

• Show only replies by Im>bE
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalChaosTheGame
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 04:32:05 PM »

maybe off topic, but...
Good games have nothing to do with packaging.

I bought T-zero,
(before trying the demo)
and the playability was crap imo.

Nice gfx tho,
I wish I could have been allowed to make
a kind of strategy battle game with all the gfx.

Hopelessly addicted to the world\'s best strategy game.
Total Chaos on YouTube

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 06:28:56 PM »
I saw the word "homebrew" and I thought this thread was about beer!  Oh well.  Sorry, go back on topic now .....    :-)
Michael