Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found  (Read 2200 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HammerD

PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« on: July 20, 2014, 04:16:29 AM »
Hi all! Back in 1995/1996 I was in contact with Daniel Nyberg.  He had written a small program to play MPEG video files.  I asked him if he could make it work to play back MPEG video files onto the CD32 FMV module.  He made a special version for me that does that.  

I am wondering if anyone knows if Daniel is still around.  Since I no longer have a CD32 and FMV module (I just have the CD32), I really have no use for the software now.  It is copyrighted by him, but if he is still around it would be nice to put it on Aminet with his permission - and maybe anyone with a CD32+FMV Module could try it out.

When I start the program it says this:

6.OS39:Apps/PlayMPEG> plaympeg
PlayMPEG Copyright 1995 Daniel Nyberg.
Demo version for Darren Eveland only.
$VER: PlayMPEG.c 0.137 (Tuesday 02-Jan-96 04:49:47)

DARREN EVENLAND SPECIAL EDITION!!!! :)
PlayMPEG [<-options>]
Options: I = Sight, C = Clock, N = NTSC, P = PAL, D = Display
         1 = Normal rate, 2 = 1/2 speed, 3 = 1/3 speed etc...
         S = System stream (VideoCD), R = Parsed system stream
         V = Video stream, A = Audio stream
         X = AREXX mode. (Disabled in demo version.)
Default: NTSC, Normal rate, Video stream
Example: PlayMPEG flight.mpeg -sn2

Read PlayMPEG.doc for complete documentation.


I searched Aminet for PlayMPEG but it is not there.

Anyone know anything about this?  I just have the executable software and it runs on OS3.9 and obviously if you run it on a CD32+FMV from a shell it will play back an MPEG using the FMV hardware.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
 

Offline stefcep2

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »
The issue that authors of ancient software like his seem to have is that they might miss out on some royalties if someone uses it in a commercial way.

Others just don't want anyone to use it without their permission.  Personally I don'y get that with something as obsolete as this, and its a shame if it just sits on your hard drive.

Try and see if you can contact him, and if not put it on aminet anyway with a readme explaining the situation.
 

Offline Jeff

  • VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Dec 2003
  • Posts: 1380
  • Total likes: 0
Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 03:33:55 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;769420

Try and see if you can contact him, and if not put it on aminet anyway with a readme explaining the situation.


In my personal experience with a situation like this (with HamLab) this isn't enough. You need permission from the author or it doesn't go on Aminet.
 

Offline Vlabguy1

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 04:34:08 PM »
Have a CD32 and FMV card.. :-)..

Rich
I guess it would be cool to try out.
 

Offline UberFreak

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 05:51:29 PM »
Send it to the TOSEC team.
 

Offline Nickman

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
Did a quick google and found one Daniel Nyberg on facebook who was atleast active in the Amiga comunity around 1995. Sent him a message and asked if it was him who made the program.. I'll get back to you when i get a reply.
----
Amiga1200T
Mediator/Voodoo3 3000/100mbit NIC/SB128
Blizzppc 603e 210Mhz 040 25Mhz, 192 mb ram,Bvision
SCSI Ultra320 74GB HD,4x Burner,MO drive.
 

Offline HammerD

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 02:40:58 PM »
Quote from: Nickman;769448
Did a quick google and found one Daniel Nyberg on facebook who was atleast active in the Amiga comunity around 1995. Sent him a message and asked if it was him who made the program.. I'll get back to you when i get a reply.


Thanks, I hope he replies!

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
 

Offline slayer

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 11:19:12 PM »
This could have been exactly what I needed way back then. When I was looking at making a touch screen stand alone unit based on the CD32/FMV. I had a falling out with my business partner and this never got realised but 10 years later he called me and asked me if I remembered what my idea had been about this and that they were now doing it in there show homes. Funny thing Life, if you let other people get in the way of your own visions.

Breifly the idea was to have an interactive menu using Amigavision or Scala (targetting kitset homes initially) where there would be computer generated modelled houses with there associated expansions but also have a special section which enabled a potential buyer to view an mpeg video of a real house already built. I often wondered how I would get the mpeg to play through the FMV unit using available solutions at the time...

It would have been a sold complete unit with a monthly/annual fee for any updated information... I was looking at a 1x speed WORM drive for $10,000.00 HOLY MOLY

Anyway, why did I tell you that long drawn out story LOL

I think I have about 12 CD32s and 2 FMV Units, so I could use it ;-)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in \'Lord of the Rings\'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
 

Offline AAACHIPSET

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;769399
Hi all! Back in 1995/1996 I was in contact with Daniel Nyberg.  He had written a small program to play MPEG video files.  I asked him if he could make it work to play back MPEG video files onto the CD32 FMV module.  He made a special version for me that does that.  

I am wondering if anyone knows if Daniel is still around.  Since I no longer have a CD32 and FMV module (I just have the CD32), I really have no use for the software now.  It is copyrighted by him, but if he is still around it would be nice to put it on Aminet with his permission - and maybe anyone with a CD32+FMV Module could try it out.

When I start the program it says this:

6.OS39:Apps/PlayMPEG> plaympeg
PlayMPEG Copyright 1995 Daniel Nyberg.
Demo version for Darren Eveland only.
$VER: PlayMPEG.c 0.137 (Tuesday 02-Jan-96 04:49:47)

DARREN EVENLAND SPECIAL EDITION!!!! :)
PlayMPEG [<-options>]
Options: I = Sight, C = Clock, N = NTSC, P = PAL, D = Display
         1 = Normal rate, 2 = 1/2 speed, 3 = 1/3 speed etc...
         S = System stream (VideoCD), R = Parsed system stream
         V = Video stream, A = Audio stream
         X = AREXX mode. (Disabled in demo version.)
Default: NTSC, Normal rate, Video stream
Example: PlayMPEG flight.mpeg -sn2

Read PlayMPEG.doc for complete documentation.


I searched Aminet for PlayMPEG but it is not there.

Anyone know anything about this?  I just have the executable software and it runs on OS3.9 and obviously if you run it on a CD32+FMV from a shell it will play back an MPEG using the FMV hardware.
there was a program on aminet to play mpegs  on the cd32 ..i never got it to work ..though im no expert on  shell type  programs...
id be interested in seeing how this program works  ..let me know if it goes on aminet ..
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:
 

Offline HammerD

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 04:36:02 PM »
ok let's hope Nickman gets back to us on Daniel's reply....
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
 

Offline Nickman

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;769611
ok let's hope Nickman gets back to us on Daniel's reply....


Still no reply.
----
Amiga1200T
Mediator/Voodoo3 3000/100mbit NIC/SB128
Blizzppc 603e 210Mhz 040 25Mhz, 192 mb ram,Bvision
SCSI Ultra320 74GB HD,4x Burner,MO drive.
 

Offline Nickman

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 04:37:06 PM »
Quote from: Nickman;769615
Still no reply.


Smal tease.

Daniel just registered and is waiting for validation.
----
Amiga1200T
Mediator/Voodoo3 3000/100mbit NIC/SB128
Blizzppc 603e 210Mhz 040 25Mhz, 192 mb ram,Bvision
SCSI Ultra320 74GB HD,4x Burner,MO drive.
 

Offline HammerD

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 01:22:33 AM »
Quote from: Nickman;779144
Smal tease.

Daniel just registered and is waiting for validation.

Excellent keep us posted :-)
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
 

Offline Cego

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 07:58:22 PM »
what happened to this? any information or updates? i'd really like to have a programm to play files on my FMV module :)
 

Offline HammerD

Re: PlayMPEG CD32+FMV software found
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 05:13:52 AM »
Quote from: Cego;812563
what happened to this? any information or updates? i'd really like to have a programm to play files on my FMV module :)


No updates and no contact from Daniel unfortunately...
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!