Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UltimatePPC rumor  (Read 9272 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: UltimatePPC rumor
« on: November 18, 2013, 11:02:55 PM »
Isn't this the PPC accelerator that uses a CPU that is binary incompatible with CPUs used in existing accelerators and motherboards?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

Re: UltimatePPC rumor
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;752998
Yes, they claim they are using a Freescale QoriQ P1013, and that is e500v2 based and features a very non-standard floating point unit.
The MorphOS development team has been quoted as saying that no other e500 core except the e500mc would be compatible with that OS.
And it is quite a step from the 603 cores used in Amiga accelerators.
It will be interesting to see how this works.

MorphOS support is very unlikely, as beyond the FPU issue, that would still require RTG.

But Amiga OS4 might be made to work on the device.

If it's binary incompatible with existing software then what's the point?  Might as well make an accelerator with an ARM, MIPS, SPARC, AMD64 etc.

I've always hoped that someone with the skills and desire would create an accelerator based on an x86 CPU with a JIT emulation of a 680x0.  A fast enough CPU would run rings around the fastest real 68k chip.  The same accelerator could probably emulate a  PPC faster than any existing B/CSPPC or even this Ultimate PPC card.

P
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini