Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How best to repair OS 3.9 checksum error on DH0 FFS  (Read 384 times)

Description:

Offline HiddenevilTopic starter

How best to repair OS 3.9 checksum error on DH0 FFS
« on: May 09, 2024, 07:38:38 PM »
Before I got jump the gun and make a bad situation worse.

I thought it best to ask what is currently the best tool to repair a 3.9 1gb partition formatted in FFS that is reporting a checksum error.

I was installing toolsdaemon and it crashed the system, on reboot it reported the checksum. I've read that ami-tools might be an option. I used to use Quarterback, would that still work?

Offline Boing-ball

Re: How best to repair OS 3.9 checksum error on DH0 FFS
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 08:25:31 PM »
Before I got jump the gun and make a bad situation worse.

I thought it best to ask what is currently the best tool to repair a 3.9 1gb partition formatted in FFS that is reporting a checksum error.

I was installing toolsdaemon and it crashed the system, on reboot it reported the checksum. I've read that ami-tools might be an option. I used to use Quarterback, would that still work?

Thomas Rapp is your guy with this. On Amiga OS 3.1.4 and 3.2 comes a Disk Doctor utility.

Thomas has some repair tools you can download for free, which should help.

Ideally before you start. Backup the data in the partition first!

https://thomas-rapp.hier-im-netz.de/download.html

Offline HiddenevilTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 10:52:07 PM »
Does it really? I own both 3.1.4 and 3.2, but will they be ok repairing a FFS of 3.9?

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 02:28:38 PM »
Does it really? I own both 3.1.4 and 3.2, but will they be ok repairing a FFS of 3.9?

It might do 🤷🏻‍♂️ Might be worth updating the FFS first to 3.2.2. But as I have mentioned before. Backup the partition first before you try it.

Failing that. Backup the partition data by using Dopus or copy command to another media. Then perhaps try HDToolBox and reseting the partition and re-formatting. Then copy back the data.

I prefer to use PFS3AIO to FFS as it’s quicker and there are plenty of fix tools out there for it.

Online Thomas

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 03:34:00 PM »

The new DiskDoctor cannot repair, it only rescues files to another storage medium.

Your best bet is to backup all files, format the partition and restore the backup.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 06:07:14 PM »
I've used DiskMonTools to repair FFS partitions over 4GB. It takes ages. For under 4GB I use the old Haynie classic DiskSalv!
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios