Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: xBox 360 or PlayStation 3  (Read 4547 times)

Description:

Offline foleyjo

• Show all replies
Re: xBox 360 or PlayStation 3
« on: December 13, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »

trekiej wrote:
How does one know that the PS3 can play PS2 games?
Edit:( Serial number, model number,etc)

If it has 4 usb ports the flap that lifts up to reveal card slots and a 60gb hd then it will play ps2 games.

Im sure I read somewhere (on this site or maybe in that open letter to the amiga community) that the PS3 may get a version of Amiga OS 5 to work with the Other OS option. If this is true then that is a damn good reason to get one. I know it probably wont happen but it was mentioned so that make PS3 most like Amiga.  :lol:  :lol:

Currently theres a few versions of linux available free that work so you can use UAE and other emulators and play the retro games for free that XBOX Live fans seem to get excited about being able to BUY.

everyone needs to keep in mind that PS3 is still a baby and when the PS2 first came out sales were shockingly low and the games were shockingly bad. They had a bloody firework simulator for one of the launch titles. I think this went on till GTA 3 came out. So why dont people wait till next year before judging which console will come on top and if the novelty of the Wii finally wears off.  

(UPDATE) It as in the Amiga Inc answers our questions post on this site that I saw AOS on the PS3 mentioned

21. Would Amiga Inc. support/encourage Hyperion to port AOS4 to the PS3?Given Eyetech's apparent withdrawal from the Amiga hardware market, and the prohibitive cost of producing adequate PowerPC-based hardware in sufficient numbers, surely a port to Sony's CELL-based system is now the only realistic chance for the platform to return to the mass-market.

Bill McEwen -- I have had conversations with the Freidens about this, and once we have the legal situation resolved then we can put that horse before the cart. If we can not do it with OS 4, then I am sure the FIVE can take care of that issue.

Offline foleyjo

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:28:55 PM »
SHADES wrote:
@Donar
Correct.

but it's only for the 60GB model here in Australia.

The 40 GB model does not include either the hardware or software emulator or the memory card readers and only 2 USB ports.

There is no tal of changing that at this time. I would personally make sure you at least get a PS# that has the memory card readers, it was a silly move. I know I used to take my saved games to mates places to play all the time. No chance of that on a Australian 40GB model.

No model has the memory card reader. They have card slots but they arre not memory cards. To use ps2 saves you make a virtual memory card and transfer your current saves using a usb memory card adapter sold seperatly.Though its pointless if your using a 40gb model as you cant play the ps2 games anyway. You can also buy usb adapters and usb card readers if you really want them. So the features are removed but you can buy them back for cheaper than it would cost for you to have the 60gb model.

@JJ my 60gb ps3 was about £350.

Offline foleyjo

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »
@ JJ -Theres still a few available in the North East of England. Also 2nd hand ones can be found.

@ Shades - Recheck your post you clearly say "Memory card reader" and talk about having to go to a friends to play your ps2 saves.
I still stand by the fact that 2 USB ports are enough for the average PS3 user.
1 for keyboard 1 for camera Joypad can be used instead of mouse and thats wireless and headsets use bluetooth. As I said if you really really want more they can always be added at a later date. So its not that bad an idea.

The 80GB PS3 due for release in the UK is said to have all the features of the 60gb