Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Suggestions for programs to use on real amiga to code  (Read 5896 times)

Description:

Offline superfrog76Topic starter

• Show all replies
Suggestions for programs to use on real amiga to code
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »
Hi guys; got my miggy OS up and running, and now I would like to get some applications on it, to actually start to code.

I know C++, and a bit of C; and I am planning to learn ASM, since it seems that it is the only thing that you can learn, to make anything decently fast.

As now I have installed only StormC, since it is C++; but now I would like to know what else is considered a good software, to develop on C and 68K assembly.

Heard of Lattice C and Argasm, for C and ASM, but since it is my first time writing code on Amiga, I am not sure if they would be the best and fastest on the market.

Others seems to prefer cross compiling via Windows, but I am not sure that it is the way to go...the Amiga is isolated, not on a network, and I don't really wanna waste time moving back and forth data, and fight to configure amidev to run correctly...I just wanna develop like the original developers used to :)

• Show all replies
Re: Suggestions for programs to use on real amiga to code
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 07:34:26 PM »
Thanks

So can I put on the same partition also another C package like SAS/C, even if I already have StormC?

I agree that cross compiling is easier, from a certain perspective, but I am not worried to wait for compiling  :) I just want to keep everything as original as possible, due the fact that I am a beginner at Amiga development, so I lack the knowledge to figure out what is wrong with a cross compiler. Doing everything on the machine eliminate some variables :)

I didn't realize that I posted in the wrong section; but I have no idea how to move the post :( Sorry about that.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:21:24 AM »
Thanks a lot for all your reply....since the post was moved I was not able to find it anymore LOL :)

I have a 030/50, but VB is out of the question honestly...heard of blitzbasic, but I am not sure how it actually works, compared to Cpp and C; for sure Assembly is the quickest, but also the hardest to learn.

The use of Win UAE is quite creative, but goes out of the scope of my purpose of using a real miggy :) I would not like to touch the PC not even to run the emulator...that's the whole point of me buying a dedicated Amiga machine ;) Independently if it is cross compiling or not; work on an emulator is pure madness, when you are planning to deploy on real hardware.

I work on Mac with iPhone, and they have a simulator (not an emulator), which works decently for quick prototyping, but then I work on the device, just to avoid any kind of trouble. One thing is to run code, another is to write and debug code on it...you just look for pain if you want to work on a emulated platform honestly, when you have available the real one ;)

So boiling down: I have already Storm C installed...what else should I put on the miggy? And I need to be sure that they don't hit each other's toes :)

Probably I need an Assembly 68K application (which of the many?), and a C environment, so I can cover C++, C and ASM?

Someone suggested me to use E; but I really have no will to learn yet another language...so far I know 8 of them and I think that there is enough war going on in my neurons LOL.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 12:49:34 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;754731
vbcc !=vb ;)

DOH :) have no idea :) The fact that I use a all in one solution, like visual studio, totally blind me about what is in fact the actual linker, compiler and so on...I just write code; got a lot to learn :)

So I think that I will settle for ASM one and devpac as ASM dev tools; while I will have Storm for C++ and SAS/C for regular C.

I am tempted to try blitzbasic, but after learning Assembler thou :)

So, once I learn, what should I use for ASM? Since the ones that Leffman mentioned are not good for anything other than learning?

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 12:18:50 AM »
Sorry for the late reply; had totally a ton of stuff that took my time (oh, babies); and now I am getting back to norm (or trying to :P)

I didn't try yet these applications, but I will as soon as humanly possible (the main issue is time, and that when I am up, the brain is not :P ); I think I will go for SASC for the moment; and see how much I start to hate myself and my life, while using  it :)

BTW I am going for OS programming for now; never did HW programming before, other than working with sensors via I2C, so I don't think that I can tackle that aspect of the Amiga yet...until I grasp well ASM :)