Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000  (Read 12720 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #104 from previous page: April 03, 2012, 12:12:54 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;686676
The Mac Mini is just slightly bigger than an Efika in a case (or slightly bigger than a CD, meaning *tiny*!), it's virtually noiseless, it has a built-in optical device etc, perfectly adequate graphics, it's way more powerful than any AmigaOne from Eyetech, any Pegasos, any Sam 440 or Sam 460 (meaning, it's much more powerful than anything that any "NG" folks traditionally has had to live with during the last decade), it's very cheap, it runs MorphOS very nicely (it plays x264 720p HD streams in SW), and you "can't stand the thing" because... it was *originally* made by Apple (even though you don't use MacOS on it now)? I'm curious, surely there must be some other reasons, or are you really *that* irrational?

Don't forget about i (eye) pollution! Everytime i look at the thing i want to puke! Also the sound is crap from the 3.5mm output because of interference and leopard is as slow as a GIANT snail. It is also noisy because of that stupid optical drive.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2012, 12:30:47 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;686691
Don't forget about i (eye) pollution! Everytime i look at the thing i want to puke!

That's a matter of opinion I guess. When it comes to the Mini's design, my biggest (and only) grudge against it, is that the power button is in the back. I usually like to have a power button and a reset button both on front. But that's a minor thing anyway, and otherwise I find the Mini to be quite beautiful, with clean lines, a nice set of colors, etc. I think it's a perfect design (or had been if the power button hadn't been in the back)! :)

Also the sound is crap from the 3.5mm output because of interference

Sound could be better, I agree. It works fine, but could definitely be of a bit higher quality.

and leopard is as slow as a GIANT snail. It is also noisy because of that stupid optical drive.

You should really use Tiger on the Mini. And eject the disk when you are not using it... ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:56:06 AM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2012, 12:52:11 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;686691
Don't forget about i (eye) pollution! Everytime i look at the thing i want to puke! Also the sound is crap from the 3.5mm output because of interference and leopard is as slow as a GIANT snail. It is also noisy because of that stupid optical drive.

I'd agree with most of that. Except I have never had an issue with the optical drive. I bought mine new.... I had a g3 ibook that i sold before buying the mini(so i did have soemthign to compare it to)... but that minig4  computer has the worst quality VGA output i have ever seen. I'm not the only one that has that issue. I was so disappointing  when I bought that thing. I would imagine that had to fix that in later models. And core duo macbook, unreliable, flaky and finally developed a few pixel wide line down the screen after seen very little actual travel.

my iphones have all been good, but the computers... not...

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2012, 01:02:40 AM »
ya great now to top it off this thread has gone to discussing apple products:quickdraw:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2012, 01:07:38 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;686545
Why this über-sensitiveness about topics all the sudden? Judging by your über-strict views on topic-discipline, only post #2 was on topic (since it was Darrin "Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000",

All true, incl. benchmarks, but as we all know X1000 performance might really improve by new OS version, better Nemo board drivers and using second core. That is quite potential. And I am sure most of buyers are making informed decision knowing what they are getting now.

It would be way better if we had oportunity to use MorphOS 3.x on SAMs and X1000 and figure the difference on new hardware already purchased. That is way better then fighting it just on machine vs machine performance ratios.
As well as it would be great to have AmigaOS for PPC Macs which are not junk at all.

To my knowledge A1X1k is the only desktop computer to use PA Semi, which is unique, no matter how old the CPU is. Correct me if I am wrong.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2012, 01:22:52 AM »
Buying ONE A1X1K for $3,000, or buying THIRTY computers of roughly A1X1K performance for the same amount of money, or buying one computer .

No one is buying 30 computers, but since you are trying to equalize the worth please include 200 eur software licences to each Mac (OS 4.1.5 and 4.2 licence) or at least MorphOS licence per computer. Then you will get to more realistic 10-20 machines. But even that is not the point, just like with past AmigaOne and Pegasos boards, new PPC boards are expensive and come rarely. Enjoy the moment.

If you really think of comparing it with PPC MacMinis, take into account X1000 has dual core CPU that is yet to be used, much faster RAM, R700 video chip with a ton of VRAM, much more and is quite expandable board, especially when onboard drivers will be done. Board also supports 8GB RAM I believe, so might drive OS4 to brake its own limits in many, many ways (from RAM barreir, SMP, XMOS support, RadeonHD drivers ...). Hell, even supporting AMD bridge chip and RadeonHD is step forward some future AMD Fusion port :-)
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2012, 01:58:09 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;686699
ya great now to top it off this thread has gone to discussing apple products:quickdraw:

I don't mind discussing Apple products, but OSX I mean come on I don't even have that installed on my system.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2012, 08:53:31 AM »
Quote from: Piru;686567

Certainly I have nothing against anyone spending their hard earned money as they see fit. Even if it's something as silly as a $3200 custom built HW with no support after couple of years. If you can't stand me pointing out how silly it is, please ignore me or something.

Don't worry already have and enjoying my AmigaOne X1000 system.

as for costs, I think the cheapest you could get the system the first time around was around £2000 with taxs and delivery, this is no cheap hobby, the price nearly put me off it, but it's something I wanted for a while, it's not for everyone and if you really want a cheap Amiga ng type of experices then I would personally recommend getting an old pc and installing Aros on it, not a PowerMac.

« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2012, 09:20:03 AM »
Quote from: vox;686705
take into account X1000 has dual core CPU that is yet to be used, much faster RAM, R700 video chip with a ton of VRAM, much more and is quite expandable board, especially when onboard drivers will be done. Board also supports 8GB RAM I believe, so might drive OS4 to brake its own limits in many, many ways (from RAM barreir, SMP, XMOS support, RadeonHD drivers ...)

Yeah, it's always this "is yet to be used", "might", "future", yada, yada. Anyone knowing Hyperion, should really know by now that they love to sell unhatched chickens with great promises, long before the chickens are hatched. Sometimes it turns out in the end that the eggs never was laid, and never will be. Was the Micro A1 GX ever sorted out/fully supported? The driver situation on the Sam? Back in 2009, when the performance of OS4 and MorphOS 2.3 was compared on exactly the same HW, the reactions from "the red side" was a lot like what you wrote in the quote above; "It's unfair because it's not optimized, 3D will be better", etc, etc. Yada, yada. It never was, 3D is AFAIK pretty much the same, and here you are, cheering for new 3D technologies when Hyperion haven't even shown they can really support the old ones yet. Will you *never* learn I ask myself?

And then you write about SMP, Memory Barrier, etc, etc — lots of stuff that's completely incompatible to Amiga per se. Well, none of this is here, only more promises of more unhatched chickes. Things like true SMP, true MP, removal of the memory barrier/true utilization of the 64bit architecture is nothing you do easily on Amiga. In fact, it can't be done without breaking the "Amiga" part of the OS. And since this *will* require a clean-slate break from the Amiga legacy anyway (it must happen if you decide to go there), with a clearly defined border line marking the "before" and "after", the seemless "Amiga compatibility" with old Apps scrapped post that line, starting anew, I must ask the question:

At that point, why continue the PPC path at all? If you are to break the "Amiga" anyway, why not do it on some *other*/BETTER architecture? Performance wise, and from a desktop Point of View, x86 is much more attractive. Isn't a platform migration the natural thing to do at that point? There is no "Power" in PowerPC, not in the year 2012 and beyond! ARM and/or x86, but not PPC!

Isn't the $3,000 A1X1K *the worst possible* path to go if your goal is to introduce those things into the OS? After sacrificing the Amiga compatibility as we know it, you may (after long hard work) have reached the goals, but then you are *still stuck* on a dead platform, completely without viable motherboards, since there hasn't been any viable desktop motherboards manufactured since Apple dropped out of the PPC architecture half a decade ago, and there never will be! It would be AROS, but without any option of good hardware. You will have your platform chained to a sinking block of concrete. And you think that at $3,000 the concrete block should at least be gilded or something, but it isn't, it's just plain nothing out of the ordinary, old boring concrete from 2007, but it will drown your platform nevertheless...

(BTW: If you think this is going off topic, please feel free to direct your replies to this thread, which is entirely devoted to this issue, maybe by commenting post #4)

« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;686731
this is no cheap hobby

It seems the hobby of you people is basically destroying good money...?

if you really want a cheap Amiga ng type of experices then I would personally recommend getting an old pc and installing Aros on it, not a PowerMac.

It would be interesting to hear how you can even compare MorphOS to AROS like they would be playing in the same league?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2012, 10:57:25 AM »
you are my king. How can anyone compare with your knowledge. You play in another league too...

« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;686736
you are my king. How can anyone compare with your knowledge. You play in another league too...

Instead of making pointless grumpy posts that just increases the noise, why not try to answer the question instead? (Edit) By "recommending getting an old pc and installing Aros on it, not a PowerMac", you are solely focusing on x86 hardware *for the sake of it*, totally neglecting the differences in features of the two OS's, which probably is the most important variable of them all for the user experience and *usability* at all. "An old PC" is hardly any cheaper than an old PowerMac, and if it's the user experience you want (i.e. really being able to *use* it as an Amiga), then MorphOS is the one NG solution that has the most to offer...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:45:30 AM by takemehomegrandma »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »
because when you say Morphos is unbeatable and everywhere the best (Gallium?, poseidon is from Aros?, TCP is ArosTCP?, support of different processors?, drivers?, can be combined with Linux?, running on modern hardware? ...) what should we discuss?

And I forgot... Aros is years behind and Morphos plays in another league...

I personal enjoy this "years behind" running on X86 (Kubuntu) :-)

« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;686739
because when you say Morphos is unbeatable and everywhere the best (Gallium?, poseidon is from Aros?, TCP is ArosTCP?, support of different processors?, drivers?, can be combined with Linux?, running on modern hardware? ...) what should we discuss?

I fail to see what point you are trying to make? Do you think the ties between MorphOS and AROS is unknown to anyone? MorphOS has used (and also returned them to AROS in an evolved state) some AROS components over the years, but what has that to do with anything? (And I won't bother commenting the factual errors there...)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2012, 11:47:05 AM »
you can buy here used PC for 200 EUR including 3 GHz and 2 GB RAM. And of course you can buy new and much better hardware. At home I use a Notebook with 4 cores and 4 GB for 480 EUR (including Windows 7). So do not try to make a competition with hardware. Hardware is the weakest point of MorphOS (as for AmigaOS). Both stick with oldfashioned PowerPC.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »
MorphOS has modern 3D support? Have I missed something?

All camps have strength and weaknesses and none is "unbeatable" with no room for improvement

MorphOS versus Aros:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61247

better to continue there if you like. This thread is (was) about X1000
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:53:33 AM by OlafS3 »