Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Got a friend looking for $400 or less laptop...  (Read 3357 times)

Description:

Offline spaceman88

• Show all replies
Re: Got a friend looking for $400 or less laptop...
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
Try to find a HP 6550b. They are a couple of years old, come with Win 7 pro, i5 CPU, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD and Wide screen display. Good solid business class unit, screen won't break if your cat jumps on it, like most of the new consumer units. I've sold a dozen or so with no problems.

Offline spaceman88

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
Most of Hp's problems were caused by certain Nvidia GPU's developing poor connections, but the the same thing happened to Dell, Sony, Acer and older MacBook Pro's and others. Google "Nvidia lawsuit" for more info. The model I recommended ( HP Probook 6550b) is not on the "list" and at this time I don't have any to sell so I wasn't looking to make a sale. BTW, the affected units can often be repaired by reflowing or reballing the GPU, however results can be mixed, a simple reflow often fails in a year or so. Reballing usually lasts longer.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:30:13 PM by spaceman88 »

Offline spaceman88

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;780181
Interesting, my Dell has an Nvidia... where can I find this "list:?

Here's one list ... http://www.canadiannvidiasettlement.com/  .... Click on the link halfway down the page.  There are computers that are affected but not on the list as well, like some Acer's.