Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hey SCO, sue me! Petition online now  (Read 5616 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
Re: Hey SCO, sue me! Petition online now
« on: June 15, 2003, 02:07:15 PM »
@ Tesral

Look at it this way. If it will run in 64 meg of RAM, what will it do with 512meg?

Not necessarily any better.  Just because an OS has more RAM available it doesn't necessarily mean it will run faster.  Does a basic install of AmigaOS 3.1 run any faster with 4MB RAM or 40MB RAM available?  No.  It all depends on what you're doing with it.

@ everyone

As a side note, guys, please tone down the OS bashing/advocacy.  It's about as interesting as listening to a broken record.

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 03:14:42 PM »
erm? :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 09:06:14 PM »
All operating systems have their issues and benefits, let's not pretend AmigaOS/MorphOS* haven't.

Linux distros have large installs due to the large amount of optional software that comes with them.  If you're going to talk about things on a level playing field, then talk about the absolute most minimal installs of the operating systems, and then things suddenly change dramatically, don't they.

Re: Mozilla being bloated.  Ok, so it takes longer to start up than most browsers.  But Firebird not bloated?  Has anyone checked the installation footprints of both?  I have on win32... Mozilla comes out at 19MB, Firebird comes out at 17MB.  Considering especially also Mozilla can currently do more than just be a browser.

* - ok, so I haven't used MorphOS, but I would place a large bet that at version 1.4 it isn't perfect.