Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hey SCO, sue me! Petition online now  (Read 5600 times)

Description:

Offline Tesral

• Show all replies
    • http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Re: Hey SCO, sue me! Petition online now
« on: May 19, 2003, 06:17:37 AM »

mpdox wrote:

But again I have to ask, my motives for being against linux is that there is no innovation from linux coming, and I love computers (loong way since I had my sinclair spectrum) so I want to see them advancing. How is linux helping me in this matter? I want to see a computer like in star trek during my lifetime, damn it... The fact that linux is running with 64 mb of ram means exactly nothing, sorry. I have 512...

Look at it this way.  If it will run in 64 meg of RAM, what will it do with 512meg?

I just built a PC, brand new.  I installed SeUS Linux on it.  I have steep learning curve ahead of me, but the local Linux people are nothing if not helpful.

Linux is in itself an innovation.  An OS who's code is an open book to anyone.  Bugs are not only reported by the users of that code, but FIXED by them.  Often the same person that reports the bug will patch the bug.  Personally I am glad such people exist.  And with Linux they can do that.  Try patching the bugs in Windows, or even the Amiga code.  Both are closed books, "No user serviceable parts inside".  If you are hampered by a bug you must wait for the "official" patch, however long that might take.

Linux is indeed reinventing the wheel, but in such a way as we can all make wheels.  If we are going to see that "Star Trek" computer, I am convinced it will come from the open source community of admitted computer nerds, not a monolithic cooperation that thinks only of the bottom line, and how much it can squeeze out of said nerds.

Yes, Linux is a little behind in the the features department.  A little slow with hardware support.  Then again what hardware makers are working with them?  They have to pry the information out to build drivers.  However Linux is the place innovation is going to happen.
Garry   AKA   -Phoenix-   Rising Above the Flames

No More Secrets, No More Lies.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Olde Phoenix Inn  http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com