Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hey SCO, sue me! Petition online now  (Read 5602 times)

Description:

Offline Ilwrath

Re: Hey SCO, sue me! Petition online now
« on: May 19, 2003, 05:09:50 AM »
But again I have to ask, my motives for being against linux is that there is no innovation from linux coming, and I love computers (loong way since I had my sinclair spectrum) so I want to see them advancing. How is linux helping me in this matter? I want to see a computer like in star trek during my lifetime, damn it...

Hmm...  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the computers in Star Trek were universal.  They didn't suffer from closed proprietary data formats that could only be opened by one particular vendor's products.  They were also robust, reliable, and secure.  

So, it makes perfect sense why you'd want to kill the only operating system that values security over senseless macro-enabled e-mail readers.  (???????)  And you ask "What has Linux done for you," when it's the only OS that is pushing for truely open and documented standards.  

The code itself may be derivative of the original proprietary UNIX, and some forward progress may be slow.  But I'd offer that its a calculated slow, in order to ensure that mistakes are minimized.  Personally, I'd rather wait a few years and get it RIGHT, rather than live in a world innundated with half-baked ideas implemented as fast as they could be typed.  (Just look at the nightmares Microsoft has introduced!  Do you really want to live in the best future that could be written by the 5pm deadline??)  

I think the philosophy behind Linux is the only way the world will possibly see the type of reliability and USEFUL functionality of the fictional Star Trek computers.

Besides... I offer YOU the question.... What has Microsoft done for you?