Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple Watch, lol  (Read 7201 times)

Description:

Offline agami

• Show all replies
    • Twitter
Re: Apple Watch, lol
« on: March 10, 2015, 03:46:19 AM »
Right up there with you guys.
I am a fan of any company or individual that displays attention to detail, favours innovation, challenges the status quo, etc. And it's for those reasons I have a nice assortment of Apple products.
But this smart-watch play Apple are making is all over the place and not in line with their core philosophy. It appears they didn't want to come late to this party and decided to release a watch that does just about everything and if you happen to do a lot of those in a day, chances are you'll run out of juice. So not Apple.

As a user of the Pebble Steel smart-watch I have incorporated the use of wrist vibration and quick glance notifications into my professional and personal life. I didn't know just how practical it would be until I actually got it. 5-7 days of battery is not ideal but charging once a week is pretty good compared to once a day.

I have already preordered via Kickstarter the Pebble Time Steel as it uses colour e-ink and still provides the 5-7 days battery life.

That's one thing that I don't understand; If colour e-ink is available, why did Apple go for a power-hungry LCD display? Because it's higher res? So I can see my photos on a 42mm screen? We went from: "No one wants to watch video on a little screen" (Steve Jobs voicing his disinterest in bringing video to the iPod) to: "People are going to love being able to have their photos on their wrist" (Tim Cook trying to justify the poor choice of components for the Apple Watch).

Best case of a 'Solution in search of a Problem' thus far.

On a separate note, I would love me some of that 12" MacBook Retina, but since it does;t have a 16GB and i& option I will be going for the 13" Pro.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline agami

• Show all replies
    • Twitter
Re: Apple Watch, lol
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 04:33:36 AM »
This is the nature of the game; It's a land rush and the real estate is the wrist. If you don't get in now chances are you'll never get in at all. It doesn't matter that smart watches are bulky and have poor battery life, there hasn't been this much interest in the wrist-space since the fob watch first migrated there.

Heads-up space is the final frontier, and Google tried to get there too early. In 10 years we'll be back to only having sensors on our wrists, if anything. Of course the laggards will still have a regular (non-smart) watch on their wrists.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1