Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PLCC extraction help!  (Read 1275 times)

Description:

Offline Damion

Re: PLCC extraction help!
« on: May 26, 2008, 02:14:27 AM »
Just make sure the little metal hooks are fully underneath the chip, and you should be fine. Two ways to go from there -- you can squeeze the tool together (the plastic will eventually seat against the socket) and the chip will "pop" out, or you can try to gently wiggle it out a bit at a time. (I prefer the second method if possible.)

The last time I had to remove an Agnus, I was able to use the hooks to carefully lift the chip out a little at a time... absolutely no chance for damage that way. If the chip doesn't want to budge, you may have to give the tool a squeeze. Either way though, I've *never* (knock on wood) had a PLCC socket break on me.

Offline Damion

Re: PLCC extraction help!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 02:25:10 AM »

pkillo wrote:
my problem seems to be that I just can't get the hooks under the chip, at all. I'm flabbergasted; I position the tool over the two slots at the corners, and try to gently insert the clips, but I can't figure out how to get them in there. they just sort of sit next to the chip. (I'm trying this on a different chip that I don't need.)

That's odd... well, I know the hooks on the RS tool definitely *will* fit under the Agnus with a bit of wiggling.

-edit- If the hooks aren't all the way underneath, the tool may put a nice scratch on top of the chip you're removing (annoying).