Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Call for Amiga Developers from A-EON Technology  (Read 10971 times)

Description:

Offline dschallock

Re: Call for Amiga Developers from A-EON Technology
« on: October 26, 2015, 01:30:24 AM »
This is great!
Very forward thinking on the part of Aeon.  I really want to commend them of strategically and intelligently putting positive movement into this wonderful computer both classically and moving forward!
Bravo.

Offline dschallock

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 12:45:37 AM »
Quote from: matthey;798183
The Raspberry Pi was a new system with weak CPU performance (~300MHz Pentium II single core performance) and now has thousands of developers, good "official" compiler support and about 30 operating systems have been developed for it. Cheap hardware attracts users and users attract developers. Learning new APIs and hardware doesn't seem to be a problem when there is plentiful cheap and standard hardware.

+1

Offline dschallock

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 04:33:45 PM »
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the nature of conversation and feedback on forums is (to some extent) to pick apart everything that is said by a company and find some fault or suspicion.  This is after all a world full of opinions and all should be welcome.

Having said that...

I want to reiterate that what Aeon and Trevor and AmigaKit are doing for the Amiga is nothing short of a miracle and I for one (of many) are *very* grateful.

We (The Amiga folks who have been around since Commodore was active), all lived through the terrible roller coaster ride.  The false promises.  The hopes and waiting only to be disappointed time and time again.  All of us had to move on (in some sense) to other modern platforms, or to put our time and energy into some of the other wonderful ideas (MorphOS and AROS to name 2).  No one is bashing anyone for making something wonderful like those are.  

But lets not bash on Aeon and Amigakit for really and honestly pushing Amiga into the future with OS 4.  They are doing so in a strategic way that most would have thought impossible.  But their honest passion and enthusiasm and (lets not forget) folks like Trevor fronting the capitol to take a shot at this to make it possible.  Most of us have the struggle of deciding if we are going to support Amigakit with the latest card for our classic machine, or if we should fork out the money for a new OS4 machine but those financial risks pale in comparison to the financial risks Trevor, Aeon, and Amigakit have taken because they believe in the Amiga.  Heck, they are even trying to continue support for OS3 through apps.  Who else in the world would take the risks they have been taking for the Amiga?  Who else in the world would put the time and energy into the Amiga with the honest intention of trying to make it a viable platform again?  What these folks have undertaken may be later in the game then we could of hoped for, and there is *always* room for improvement.  Anyone can criticize how they could have done this better or that better, and I'm not saying we shouldn't bring constructive criticism to the table (bring it), but let us please give proper respect where respect is due.

These guys have given a spark of hope and happiness I didn't think I would have again.  I am honestly going to try and afford an Amiga one x5000 because their passion is contagious and I want to be part of it!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:36:05 PM by eliyahu »

Offline dschallock

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »
Quote from: ssolie;798382
A-EON is doing a fantastic job of getting new software products to market by paying developers

+1
I can't wait to see what they do with Imagefx.  I would love to be part of that team in some capacity.

Offline dschallock

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 03:24:19 PM »
Quote from: number6;798639
@thread

Just a matter of general curiosity, once again based on my trying to apply what I believe to be "logic" to the situation...

Considering:

(1)Amistore is the principal source of income for s/w

Why is there not a push to install Amistore as part of default install for the OS?

Is there any plans to bring Amistore to classic 68k?  A-eon holds several classic licenses that I would think people would still buy right away if available.

Offline dschallock

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 05:27:45 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;798645
Of all Classics users how many do have Internet on their system? It is good for UAE but for classics some sort of gateway should be found or they should bundle it with an Ethernet board.
Kamelito

Just got the Xsurf100 from amigakit bundled with easynet pro.  Works flawlessly.