Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot (solved) sort of  (Read 7125 times)

Description:

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
Re: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2021, 02:43:22 PM »
Why always this amount of time?

Outside chance of it being a fault with the reset circuit,

This times a specific time by charging up a capacitor, if the resistor feeding it developed a higher resistance, it would take longer to charge.

Oh, that chip also handles some timing signals as well as the mouse, so  could just be that one chip (more likely connections to and from it).

Could be. But seems odd that he is just having this issue after making a rom/software change. You would think these issues would have occurred before if not just more randomly. But again these old machines tend to do better the less you mess with them. Could always check the power supply output voltages. Without having another machine or other parts to swap and test and not seeing anything visibly wrong with any of the boards this could take a while to resolve..

Offline David WrightTopic starter

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2021, 07:28:50 PM »
Well some things from the past could be relevant as I stated earlier:

In the past when I would take this off the shelf to play with it was always a slog getting it to boot up. Many attempts at trying to boot then finally the chime which
meant success. After that there was never a day gone by it reverted to poor startup , until I laid it away for a while. Then repeat.

I also remember last year trying to get a zz9000 to work and with poor results or none at all. Thought then it might be the daughter board but bought another one, same thing.
One more issue just to confuse all of you. I have a video toaster card that came with this and when powering up their was a high pitched whine coming out of it.
Then, I thought it was the Toaster but what if the load from it was causing the motherboard to react.

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2021, 12:24:01 AM »
I was told if power light goes from dim to bright on power on or reset then probably reset switch is good. This is the case here.
Someone mentioned Diagroms to test but that info wouldn't help me much unless provided to others

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2021, 11:43:36 PM »
Anyone here know where in US I can get diagroms?

Offline Vlabguy1

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2021, 10:36:03 PM »
Any change or update?

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2021, 11:07:35 PM »
Diagroms should be here Monday. Hopefully I can get info that others can interpret.
I have no null modem or serial cable but since video output works maybe read it directly.
Thanks for asking.

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2021, 03:21:00 AM »
So I put the diagroms in today. Boots quick to diagnostic screen first off.
Ran all the tests  and don’t see any issues. Decided to put in old 3.1 roms just to be sure and it’s the same old thing except since I have 3.2 OS it boots twice , so 16 minutes , lol.

I don’t think diagroms are any good seeing issues with warpengine. All the ram on it work and obviously cpu is good.
Still a funny thing mouse movement is flaky in workbench but if I go into a diagnostic program like amiga test it runs smooth. If I can get back to workbench it works well again.

So thats it, without another cpu board I can’t run any more tests. May seek out tech guru and have it looked at.

Offline Vlabguy1

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2021, 01:28:54 AM »
Yes a stock cpu board would be key at this point.

Offline mechy

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2021, 09:52:34 PM »
A few more things to check, i have had 4000's where the cpu slot was dirty and needed a good cleaning with Deoxit-clean the accelerator and motherboard connectors.
also its not uncommon for the pins in the cpu socket to make bad contact and i have fixed many by going behind each pin on the motherboard side with a needle to bring the contact out a bit,very delicate operation with a thin needle,but has fixed some stubborn problems.
I dont recall reading if you had checked power supply voltages. i find a4000's become flakey on boot at around 4.92v or lower on the 5v rail.

Some of the things you mention make me thinki of a bad OS install,have you tried another drive and or cf card with a fresh basic install?

The warp engine jumpers have some delayed HD booting options,are you sure the jumpers are correct? can you post a picture of the warp engine how you have it jumpered?

As for the mouse acting weird at time,this could be related to power supply issue or bad caps.. A bad CIA etc..but it almost seems software affects this from what you wrote?

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2021, 10:10:16 PM »
Here is photo showing jumpers but I have played with all kinds of options to no avail.

As far as bad OS, doesn't matter. Tried without and using barebones install. Two button hold down takes 8 or so minutes also.

Bad caps or chips. Possible.

Offline Vlabguy1

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2021, 01:08:04 AM »
take the memory sticks out one by one and booting the machine after each removal.

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2021, 02:22:42 AM »
Do you mean the warp memory or system?
Took out all of warp memory no change. As far as checking memory amiga test kit tested all of it. Removing board memory makes me nervous, very good chance of damaging clips.

Offline Vlabguy1

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2021, 03:35:02 AM »
yeah I know what you mean. Ive seen plenty of Amigas with hot glue holding the memory chips.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2021, 07:11:22 AM »
When you setup the hard drive to install 3.2... did you use the Warp scsi tools utility or the 3.2?

After reading the manual, page 31 lists an option to check or uncheck to force the system to stop looking for extra drives and get on with booting.

After re-reading this thread, that's when the problem started - an unchecked entry on the RDB.

You might get away with just clicking the option and saving the RDB, rather than trying to reinstall everything from scratch.

Or not. :(
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline davideo

• Show only replies by davideo
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2021, 04:13:51 PM »
Have you tried it with autoboot turned off K, J and H removed.

You've also got Wait State turned on. This is normally off by default. Jumper D

I've read through the thread and can't see what size Sims you've got fitted

« Reply #44 from previous page: December 13, 2021, 07:34:26 PM »
As previously stated I have no better luck on wait time if I just do basic boot up with insert disk prompt.
As of now I have the 3.1 roms installed and no different.

Removed jumper on D and no change.
Ram installed on Warp 128mb, 18mb on MB. All tested and good.
When I installed OS 3.2 I used Winuae  but again, the issue persists with out a boot from there.

Thanks all for staying with me on this.