Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???  (Read 53302 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show all replies
Re: Should we really crack IBrowse 2.4???
« on: April 10, 2008, 06:59:12 PM »
Really truely you have to cut Amiga developers a fair amount of slack.  A highly successful Amiga product will sell what, a few hundred copies?  How many copies will a PC or Mac product sell?  Plus there are far more tools and programming languages available for PC and Mac developers.

I am really surprised there are the even small number of developers there are.  You piss them off and they are gone and where are you?

Amiga developers are an endangered species, treat them as such.

:hat:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 05:28:32 AM »
Yep, Amiga doesn't have a modern language to program in, have only a few hundred users and lacks operating system support for many features.  It would be real easy for Oliver to pack up his Amiga and go program in the PC or Mac world.  Heck with the packages out there he could easily write for both.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
Objective-C, Ruby, Python.  Not to mention all the frameworks that come with XCode tools.  On a Mac I can build a web browser in half an hour, a screensaver with a rotating live image that responds to room volume?  10 Minutes.  View and edit pictures?  A simple app done in half an hour.  

Programming for the Amiga is downright painful, there are few objects to use with C++ and they don't help with the hard tasks, you have to write all the code yourself.  And then it doesn't work because it doesn't have memory protect, desn't handle interupts right or just breaks for some unknown reason.  AmigaDos is old, it made a number of choices that are just wrong.  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 11:38:29 PM »
An analogy  to programming with the Amiga versus the Mac is a cookbook that begins a cake recipe with "start with pond scum and lightning and evolve a chicken" in the Amiga version whilst the Mac version reads "take two eggs."  I write code when I need it, Objective C mainly, Ruby and Python as I learn them.  Any when I write a routine it's there in the list for me to use it.

I program in my spare time, in an evenings' work I have something to show for it.  The apps are visually stunning.  Is it programming?, well all programming that's not 1s and zeros is an abstraction...

:rtfm:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:25:01 PM »
I agree, let's get Moana working and put to work those old PPC Macs...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]