Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Settlers save game error.  (Read 4396 times)

Description:

Offline sturulezTopic starter

• Show only replies by sturulez
The Settlers save game error.
« on: February 24, 2021, 02:48:23 PM »

I have installed the settlers via ADF disks with its native install program.

When I attempt to save a game a message appears saying

Error
Disk Full or Write Error

Anyone know how I can overcome this issue?
A1200 - ACA 1221EC Accelerator, 32GB CF Card, SCSI CD-ROM, WB3.9, 3.1.4 ROM. PCMCIA 4GB transfer card, Indivision AGA MK2

Offline Steady

Re: The Settlers save game error.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 11:29:25 PM »
Firstly, do you know where it's trying to save to?

Can you provide the full message if there is more as well?

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 11:36:26 PM »
Are you trying to save to hard drive or floppy?

If you try to save or modify files on a virtual floppy via Gotek - the .adf file must be editable (protection bits rwed). Else the Gotek will not permit edits.

You can't fix from the Amiga side. ADF downloads default to archived status, ie the files are not editable.

There are .adfs of blank floppy disks, these can have the same issue.

EDIT: This is a good thing really, a virus cannot earsily spread from one contaminated ADF file to another if the file is read only, not writable, editable or deletable.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 11:45:15 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 07:10:10 AM »
It’s trying to save the games to the hard drive.

I have placed the ADF files on actual Amiga floppy disks,

Can I still edit these files? If so how do I go about it?
A1200 - ACA 1221EC Accelerator, 32GB CF Card, SCSI CD-ROM, WB3.9, 3.1.4 ROM. PCMCIA 4GB transfer card, Indivision AGA MK2

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 08:06:40 AM »
The copies extracted to floppy disks should behave as floppy disks.  :)

If you mean edit an .adf so that correct file types are set (writable, editable, deletable) then you have to use something that can read the files as a usb stick / sd card with files on, like a regular PC running Windows or Linux).

Technically you could use an Amiga with a "real" usb port or sd card reader. (Which ever medium used by the floppy emulator).

PROTECT Usb0:Game.adf +rwd    <- Assuming drive is mounted as Usb0: correctly and game file in root directory

Or an sd card attached in a compact flash adapter on PCMCIA:-

PROTECT CF0:Game.adf +rwd         <- assumes CF0 has been mounted correctly, CF0 needs big sector size (4096) for cards 2GB-16GB, 8192 16-32GB cards

To mount the drive correctly (as a drive) you would also need Fat95 filesystem handler in your Amiga's L directory.

Is the hard drive one big partition and not even half full? That can cause some software to misread the free space available as negative (would generate "drive is full" message even though it isn't).

OK, there are replacement Workbench commands on 3.1.4 that work correctly (list, dir, info etc) but the game could be using it's own code which would have the same issue.

Filling up the partition with stuff so it's at least half full removes the problem on old Workbench software. Might work with the game trying to save to hard drive, might not.

EDIT: I'm assuming you are running your 4gb CF card as a hard drive and haven't upgradaed to something larger. There is some software that only likes running / operating on the first 4GB of any Amiga hard drive. For instance, PC Task and shapeshifter.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:42:31 AM by Pat the Cat »

Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 08:50:33 AM »
The copies extracted to floppy disks should behave as floppy disks.  :)

If you mean edit an .adf so that correct file types are set (writable, editable, deletable) then you have to use something that can read the files as a usb stick / sd card with files on, like a regular PC running Windows or Linux).

Technically you could use an Amiga with a "real" usb port or sd card reader. (Which ever medium used by the floppy emulator).

PROTECT Usb0:Game.adf +rwd    <- Assuming drive is mounted as Usb0: correctly and game file in root directory

Or an sd card attached in a compact flash adapter on PCMCIA:-

PROTECT CF0:Game.adf +rwd         <- assumes CF0 has been mounted correctly, CF0 needs big sector size (4096) for cards 2GB-16GB, 8192 16-32GB cards

To mount the drive correctly (as a drive) you would also need Fat95 filesystem handler in your Amiga's L directory.

Is the hard drive one big partition and not even half full? That can cause some software to misread the free space available as negative (would generate "drive is full" message even though it isn't).

OK, there are replacement Workbench commands on 3.1.4 that work correctly (list, dir, info etc) but the game could be using it's own code which would have the same issue.

Filling up the partition with stuff so it's at least half full removes the problem on old Workbench software. Might work with the game trying to save to hard drive, might not.

EDIT: I'm assuming you are running your 4gb CF card as a hard drive and haven't upgradaed to something larger. There is some software that only likes running / operating on the first 4GB of any Amiga hard drive. For instance, PC Task and shapeshifter.

No I have upgraded the CF card to 32GB and its running OS 3.9.

I have tried to run the WHDLoad version of the game but when I run it the following message appears

WHDLoad 18.6 @1994 -2020
Can't allocate ExpMem
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:10:00 AM by sturulez »

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 09:06:54 AM »
In that case, finding an hdf of the game, and mounting that as it's own private hard disk, should get around the problem.

(Apparent success with that method reported here);-

https://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12294

Assuming of course you have a set of non-functional floppies and so have to resort to old archives.

EDIT: Also, link is for emulator, not real Amiga. It would depend on Mount command of 3.1.4 or maybe 3rd party one from aminet (might work if released in last couple years or at least post WB3.9). Your milage may vary here.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 01:47:26 PM by Pat the Cat »

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 05:22:41 PM »
In that case, finding an hdf of the game, and mounting that as it's own private hard disk, should get around the problem.

(Apparent success with that method reported here);-

https://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12294

Assuming of course you have a set of non-functional floppies and so have to resort to old archives.

EDIT: Also, link is for emulator, not real Amiga. It would depend on Mount command of 3.1.4 or maybe 3rd party one from aminet (might work if released in last couple years or at least post WB3.9). Your milage may vary here.

Is there a step by step dummies guide to setting this up?  :D

I have downloaded The Settlers hdf. Do I have to put my 32 GB CF card into my PC and run WinUAE and add an additional partition to that CF card? 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 05:23:32 PM by sturulez »

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 12:38:16 AM »
No, without using W.inUAE, doing everything on an Amiga, you would need a program to mount the hdf as a disk.

http://aminet.net/disk/misc/ImageMount.readme

That one was re-released in 2019 to be compatible with 3.1.4 so might just do the job for you.

Like, the hdf file is somewhere on the hard disk - but mounting it as a drive makes it look like it's own hard drive (to the settlers program). It's own icon on WB etc.

Worth a shot I think. it's a very useful program in terms of "looking inside" hdf, adfs or iso images.

The mount only lasts until next reboot, unless you put an entry into user-startup to mount an image from starting up Workbench.

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 03:06:08 AM »
This may sound a little strange but there are many games and programs that throw up this error cus it can't work out how big the hard drive is. AMOS is the same with its install it just keeps telling me the drive is full. I get the error on various games with the 18GB hard drive on the Amiga 4000. When the game was created there were not such large drives.  You need to install to a volume or partition that is say less than 2.1GB. I do believe that the game works out of its own drawer so if you have a smaller partition then just drag the BlueByte folder to that smaller partition.

You could also try Assigning the game folder by adding a line to your 'user-startup' in the S drawer by using a text editor

ie: assign bluebyte/the settlers work:games/bluebyte/the settlers

or just maybe assign bluebyte work:games/bluebyte

Note work being your partition where the game is and games the drawer you have your games and bluebyte is the Settlers drawer.

Also when you installed the game it asked for the full directory listing of where the game is to be installed. If you don't edit that the game defaults to "DH0:3". There is a lower dialogue box that carries the target drive and you needed to have changed that... to say "DH1:games/buebyte/" if that is where you have the game.

My guess is that it is scratching its head as to how much space there is left on your drive and it can not calculate this.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
This may sound a little strange but there are many games and programs that throw up this error cus it can't work out how big the hard drive is. AMOS is the same with its install it just keeps telling me the drive is full. I get the error on various games with the 18GB hard drive on the Amiga 4000. When the game was created there were not such large drives.  You need to install to a volume or partition that is say less than 2.1GB. I do believe that the game works out of its own drawer so if you have a smaller partition then just drag the BlueByte folder to that smaller partition.

You could also try Assigning the game folder by adding a line to your 'user-startup' in the S drawer by using a text editor

ie: assign bluebyte/the settlers work:games/bluebyte/the settlers

or just maybe assign bluebyte work:games/bluebyte

Note work being your partition where the game is and games the drawer you have your games and bluebyte is the Settlers drawer.

Also when you installed the game it asked for the full directory listing of where the game is to be installed. If you don't edit that the game defaults to "DH0:3". There is a lower dialogue box that carries the target drive and you needed to have changed that... to say "DH1:games/buebyte/" if that is where you have the game.

My guess is that it is scratching its head as to how much space there is left on your drive and it can not calculate this.

Can I create a partition on the amiga without damaging the current setup, I assume I just go into HDToolBox, then click on Partition Drive then create a new partition out of DH2?

Will that delete everything from DH2 or just allocate the free space it has to the new partition?

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 10:04:44 AM »
Not advised. It might work if you reduce the current partition size and add one at the end (currently unused).

However, every time you run HDToolbox you run the risk of faffing up your current setup.

Trying to mount the HDF is a  lot more straightforward. Install the dependcies (proabably already on your setup with Workbench 3.1.4) and drag the program to system folder.

When you run Imagemount, it gives you a file requester asking where the hdf file is and does the rest itself.

It might even be ON the system already in the system drawer. Have you looked?

Offline utri007

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 11:43:10 AM »
I think that your AMIga's hard drive is validating and thats why you can't save game. Can you save anything to hard drive?
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 08:10:28 AM »
I have managed to resolve the issue   :D

I’ve plugged the 4GB CF card into the PCIMA slot then dragged the bluebyte directory over to the 4GB
CF card.

I can only assume it was down to the size of the 32GB CF causing the problem?

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 08:29:32 PM »
<shrug> Like I said, some software just won't work with big partitions.

I remember when Trenton Web reviewed Settlers, he insisted on no coaching with Amiga hard drives, he wanted tofind out for himself how easy or not it was to install to a hard drive.

I guess the programmers didn't check with a big hard disk because they didn't exist at the time.