Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga and monitors. How'd you do it?  (Read 10562 times)

Description:

Offline Lord Aga

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga and monitors. How'd you do it?
« on: November 17, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
Sharp LC42DH77E works fine with VGA and SCART. It syncs down to 15KHz.
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !

Offline Lord Aga

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:57:39 PM »
Quote from: SquirrelM@ster;668349

You didn't have to use a flickerfixer?  Which SCART/VGA kit did you use? Where did you get it? Amigamaniac has an adapter as well...

Thanks, guys! You mind posting the specs/resolution of those TVs? I'm in the US...

No flickerfixer. Sharp LC42DH77E syncs down to Amiga frequencies. And it's just like plugging in a generic PC to a PC monitor. Ordinary VGA cable. Took one from my PC monitor actually. Of course you need RGB to VGA dongle for the Amiga end.
It is a 42 inch, full HD 1080p TV. Supports 50, 60 and 100 Hz.
But being a SCART equipped TV, I don't know if this model is on sale in the US.

Offline Lord Aga

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;668363
The instruction manual says it only works with 60hz.
And it only lists 31.5Khz and up for the VGA port.

Nopity nope :)
Well it HAS to do 50 Hz. It's a European PAL TV. It also does 60 Hz and 100 Hz. Tested with my PC.
And I don't have any flicker fixers on my A1200 and A600 :) So it does 15 KHz. Kickstart screen and everything :)

Quote from: SquirrelM@ster;668367
I'm a real rookie, so please pardon me. But, does the khz matter if it's going through an RBG adapter? When I called Sharp, the customer service rep said the Khz doesn't matter, just the resolution.

Told ya they wouldn't know :) If you can, it is best to take your Amiga to the store and try it out.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:27:44 PM by Lord Aga »

Offline Lord Aga

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:17:04 PM »
Well, I'm flipping through the pages of the HUGE manual, and it indeed says 60Hz / 31KHz on VGA.
But in their defence, it is titled "PC compatibility chart". As in: "we didn't list the non-PC stuff" :)

It is hooked to my PC. I use it for 1080p movies. The picture is nice and clear. But the dot pitch is enormous. So you will notice that long before the triangular, rectangular or hexagonal (long live the History Line !) pixels. Depends on how far you are from the screen. And from personal preferences I guess... I find the picture great.

I don't quite remember about deinterlacing :( "How is that possible?" you ask :D Well, I tried out all possible resolutions and modes (the TV has many picture modes) when I got the TV. So I tried a gazzilion combinations, and don't remember squat. Just settled for default res Workbench. My A1200 is dismantled for retr0brighting at the moment, but I can fire up my A600 in the morning and test it. Was about time to try out all those stuff I transfered to CF card anyway...

It doesn't have LED.

Offline Lord Aga

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;668373

The review also said that ur monitor does not do free deinterlacing, even tho the previous model did. (?!?)

Regarding deinterlacing...
Well, it does and it doesn't :D
For instance, in GAME mode it doesn't do deinterlacing. So, it behaves just like a, say, 1084 monitor.
In NORMAL mode it does deinterlace, and the hi res WB picture is beautiful. But it has an annoying lag. Cursor moves like on a rubber string. So, maybe for looking at pics. But it is really annoying for work.

Well, I still have to test my ViewSonic VX2235wm PC monitor. Maybe I'll get lucky with it :) Or at least test productivity modes with my A1200...

Offline Lord Aga

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 06:12:26 PM »
Not yet. I was plannig to wait until I put back together my A1200, since (I think) only AGA can do productivity (VGA) modes. It is dismantled for retr0brighting at the moment. But the sun is getting scarse now :(