Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 3.x improvements  (Read 13912 times)

Description:

Offline paul1981

Re: AmigaOS 3.x improvements
« on: September 24, 2015, 01:06:46 PM »
Quote from: kolla;796217

I see - I am using Peter K's icon.library, but it does not save back up ENVARC:Sys/def_RAM.info, for example if I move RAM Disk on Workbench, snapshot it, it will just create RAM:Disk.info, but ENVARC:Sys/def_RAM.info is untouched, and on next reboot RAM Disk will be back on it's original location.

With a soft link from RAM:Disk.info to ENVARC:Sys/def_RAM.info, when I do changes to RAM:Disk.info, the soft link will save those changes to ENVARC:Sys/def_RAM.info - which is what I think pretty much everyone wants.

I am not sure which part of the system that should have the task of maintaining ENVARC:Sys/def_RAM.info, but feel ram-handler is an obvious candidate.

If using Peter K's icon library, I suppose it's the responsibility of the end user to snapshot his or her ram disk icon and then copy the resultant amended disk.info file from RAM: to ENVARC:Sys/def_RAM.info. It only has to be done once so I personally don't see it as an inconvenience.

Offline paul1981

Re: AmigaOS 3.x improvements
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 06:42:08 PM »
Quote from: kolla;796237
Every time you change icon.
Every time you move the icon to somewhere and snapshot it.
Every time you tell Workbench to remember the position and view of open RAM Disk window.

It is not at all obvious that all this information is stored in RAM:Disk.info and that users are expected to copy Disk.info to ENVARC:Sys/def_RAM.info manually.

It could just automatically be saved in ENVARC:Sys/def_RAM.info by ram-handler, in fact RAM:Disk.info would not even need to exist at all.

I use 3.1 with MultiCX, and IIRC the WINREMEMBER tooltype or similar remembers the position of windows within the session. So obviously this doesn't survive reboots, but still a nice feature.

Instead of the link for the ram disk icon, I suppose it would be possible to write a script that automatically copies over the disk.info if it changes, either from referring to datestamp or a file change, or even easier just make it copy every so often, or just write the script to copy it and have it executable from the tools menu or something.