Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does anyone know how to use xp?  (Read 1608 times)

Description:

Offline AtheistTopic starter

• Show only replies by Atheist
Does anyone know how to use xp?
« on: June 18, 2003, 02:15:04 PM »
Okay, I have a Dazzle CF reader.

I had to re-install xp.

Now it doesn't work. So I installed the driver for Dazzle. It doesn't work. Then I went to install the 2.0 USB driver from the motherboard company (thinking maybe I forgot to), and it won't install. I hit the "yes" to the EULA agreement, but it thinks I picked "no" and exits the setup program, after offering to print it out, that is. (Like that'll help!)

Is it supposed to show up on the "my computer" screen as a drive?

All I know is that before, when I plugged in a CF, it would pop up and offer to transfer pictures from it.

Maybe I have a virus? Norton anti-virus doesn't seem to have an option to check memory or swap file, I wonder why?

I dread every time I use this thing, when I get an A1, I may just get rid of it!

AmigaOne! By the time I get it, I may have gone insane! Really!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline jd997uk

• Show only replies by jd997uk
Re: Does anyone know how to use xp?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 02:37:36 PM »
Right click on 'My Computer' and go to manage.
Click on Hardware Manager and from the list that comes up, see if your CF reader is there. Usually it will have a yellow bubble next to it if it has a driver problem, or a red cross, if it is disabled.
If it is there, double click on it and on the properties box that pops up, ensure that it is enabled. Click on the driver tab and click on 'update driver'.
Click on the 'search for suitable driver' button and select the most suitable method.
If this don't work (and it is nowhere near a perfect science), sometimes it is best to delete the device from the device manager (this is scary I know, but providing you select the correct device you're ok) and the click on the refresh button. Hopefully, this will get to pick up your dazzle drive. If it does, it'll go through the installation process.
Regarding the USB problem, do you have the latest drivers from the M/board maker?
Double click on the USB entry in the Device Manager and check to see if there is any problems there.

-john

Don\\\'t panic - bite the towel.

Offline unclewilli-amigalover

• Show only replies by unclewilli-amigalover
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 03:36:41 PM »
yes, i know how to use xp and get much enjoyment. make a frisbee from the cd and invite friends and family for a day of fun. other than that i,i,i, just don't know. sorry for the jab at the os iam just funnin around and can not offer real advice.
unclewilli-amigalover... :-D

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 04:02:03 PM »
Make sure that you have at least SP1 installed.  XP doesn't support usb 2.0 otherwise.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 06:27:48 PM »
Hoo boy, I could give you stories about card reader problems with Windows.  I work at a camera store, and EVERY time we sell a card reader, whether it's a Unity Digital, Phoenix, Lexar, or whatever, the customer calls us with questions.

1) Some card readers won't install unless they are plugged in before the computer is started.  Don't ask me why.  Other card readers (and digital cameras), won't even be recognized by Windows until AFTER the driver is installed.  Try both.

2) If a device has an exclamation point in the Device Manager, the computer won't tell you a new device has been found when you unplug it and plug it in again.  Windows "remembers" that a device isn't working correctly and refuses to re-initialize it.  Unplug it, go into the Device Manager, delete the offending device, restart the computer, and plug it in again.

3) If you have problems where the card reader shows up intermittently, do a search in the Windows folder for "Diskmgmt.msc".  Use this tool to assign a new drive letter to the card reader (doing it in My Computer may cause problems after a restart).

4) Many card readers are manufactured by 3rd parties.  If you can't get the company's driver to work with XP, ask them if they can give you a reference driver from the reader manufacturer.  That's what I had to do to get Unity Digital card readers working in Win2K.  Those card readers are made by some company, like, "MST" or something.

5) Windows has to re-initialize a device for EACH USB port.  Try to use the same USB port for each device.  Switching between different ports (especially different USB roots), can make Windows tempermental.

6) Brace yourself and behold the power of Windows!   :-D

That's all I can remember for now.  Oh, and if you're using a USB hub, try plugging the reader into the back of the computer.  Digital cameras, printers, and some scanners are REALLY fussy when it comes to hubs.  I don't know about card readers.

Offline pjhutch

• Amiga user and developer
    • Show only replies by pjhutch
    • http://www.pjhutchison.org
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 08:03:55 PM »
1. Make sure Service Pack 1 is installed (needed for USB 2)
2. Make sure the CF Reader is XP compatible at http://www.microsoft.com/hcl
3. If not try the Windows 2000 drivers
4. If that fails replace with a XP compatible reader.

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 08:04:09 PM »
I use windows Xp at home, better than most previous version of Windows, excepting maybe winodws 98se, I always liked that version. I find that when installing any new piece of hardware, one should restart the computer without the hardware connected.  Install the drivers and everything. Plug in the device, manually choose what drivers to use. Restart computer. Always click the buttons 'yes' and 'next' when installing.
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline th4t1guy

• Show only replies by th4t1guy
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2003, 08:45:40 PM »
If you have problems installing software, go into your temp folder and delete everything in there.  Badly written setup programs will have problems installing if it tries to overwrite an existing file in there.

Offline Alcom

• Show only replies by Alcom
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2003, 09:28:11 PM »
Then I went to install the 2.0 USB driver from the motherboard company (thinking maybe I forgot to), and it won't install. I hit the "yes" to the EULA agreement, but it thinks I picked "no" and exits the setup program, after offering to print it out, that is. (Like that'll help!)

you MUST click yes when it wants to print the text. ( Dont worry, it wont print it but instead save it to c: )
And then it will install your drivers.

Welcome to the wonderful world of windows...
 :-(

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2003, 10:03:41 PM »
"Does anyone know how to use xp?"

No. No-one.
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2003, 10:22:50 PM »

Does anyone know how to use xp?

AFAIK is Win XP that uses you! :-)

Ciao!

Offline Vincent_X

• Show only replies by Vincent_X
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2003, 08:22:16 AM »
I can use XP. But I don't have any experience with card readers. They always struck me as "peripheral" technologies, hence proned to being buggy and more trouble than they were worth.

Offline PhatBoiCollier

• Show only replies by PhatBoiCollier
    • http://www.tirinoarim.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2003, 09:22:48 AM »
Re-reading your original message, I just wanted to throw this in, in case we were missing the obvious.  

There is a setting somewhere (I can check where, if this is the case) to allow XP to detect the contents of new media and automatically pop up a list of actions.  This may have been turned off.

For example, a compact flash may cause a window with "open in explorer", "view slideshow", "synchronise" etc to pop up.  Inserting a blank cd may give "burn image" and "backup" etc.  Is it this which has STOPPED happening?

In answer to your other question, yes, the cf reader should appear as a "removable drive" in "My Computer".  It may be worth noting also that a lot of cf readers will not allow the "hot changing" or cards.  You may have to unplug the reader, swap CF cards and plug the reader back in for windows to recognise the change.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary and those that dont.