Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hockey Puck With Embedded Device  (Read 1581 times)

Description:

Offline asian1Topic starter

• Show only replies by asian1
Hockey Puck With Embedded Device
« on: October 06, 2005, 03:12:07 PM »
http://www.embedded.com/97/inc9603.htm

"To accomplish this feat, the hockey pucks used in that game were each cut in half, rigged with a battery and a circuit board containing 20 infrared emitters, and then epoxied together. The pucks were activated by an electronic signal and had a battery life of about 10 minutes. An array of sensors surrounded the rink to track the puck and relayed information back to the camera following the puck. The information was then routed to the "Puck Truck," where the signal was massaged and then transmitted live to viewers. The delay time between the event on the ice and the transmission of the signal was less than 350ms."

Tao's Intent and video editing software are used in a JVC Digital Camera.

Is it possible to put tiny "all in one" PowePC 405 SOC or ARM SOC running AmigaAnywhere inside the puck and intergrate it with the Digital Camera also running AmigaAnywhere?

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
Re: Hockey Puck With Embedded Device
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 03:50:14 PM »

asian1 wrote:
http://www.embedded.com/97/inc9603.htm

"To accomplish this feat, the hockey pucks used in that game were each cut in half, rigged with a battery and a circuit board containing 20 infrared emitters, and then epoxied together. The pucks were activated by an electronic signal and had a battery life of about 10 minutes. An array of sensors surrounded the rink to track the puck and relayed information back to the camera following the puck. The information was then routed to the "Puck Truck," where the signal was massaged and then transmitted live to viewers. The delay time between the event on the ice and the transmission of the signal was less than 350ms."

Tao's Intent and video editing software are used in a JVC Digital Camera.

Is it possible to put tiny "all in one" PowePC 405 SOC or ARM SOC running AmigaAnywhere inside the puck and intergrate it with the Digital Camera also running AmigaAnywhere?

The puck in the story is just a regular puck with a battery and a bunch of IR led's. They have a camera tracking the "bright spot", and overlaying the trail based on velocity for the TV viewers. This is a simple and effective use of technology. Why on earth would you want to stuff AmigaDE in a hockey puck? This would solve nothing, and at best create all kinds of problems.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 04:08:47 PM »
Concerning the LED glowing puck, this is really old news, too. They started doing this at least 5 years ago.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to embed such a camera device, you just need to funds to develop it further. As it stands, right this instant, with parts and technologies available to purchase today, October 6, no it's not possible.

The question is why you'd want to do such a thing. I can't imagine images from such a camera being all that great.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 05:32:29 PM »

[...I'll try my best to ignore the fact that this is totally insane idea....]

Sure it's possible. You need AmigaAnywhere running on the specific CPU first. Then you need to find a system that fits inside the puck, while still being able to withstand the massive G-forces the puck has to take when being slammed... Then you have to get AmigaAnywhere running on this system, and manage to get the wireless link to work somehow, even when the puck is traveling really fast...

So, yes, sure it's possible if you have the cash and resources. But why-oh-why would anyone do that?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 05:35:10 PM »
For hockey cam! Surely everybody wants to see what it looks like to be slammed into the back of the net?

Or maybe not :-D
int p; // A

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 08:38:48 PM »
No need to swallow a puck, there is pillcam.  :-P

Edit: seriously though, they are doing marvellous things in the field of remotely commanded capsule cameras. Check out Olympus' plans for new capsules that will be self-propelled, be able to deliver drugs, take samples and even do internal ultrasound scans...

Offline koaftder

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 09:38:39 PM »

Piru wrote:

[...I'll try my best to ignore the fact that this is totally insane idea....]

Sure it's possible. You need AmigaAnywhere running on the specific CPU first. Then you need to find a system that fits inside the puck, while still being able to withstand the massive G-forces the puck has to take when being slammed... Then you have to get AmigaAnywhere running on this system, and manage to get the wireless link to work somehow, even when the puck is traveling really fast...

So, yes, sure it's possible if you have the cash and resources. But why-oh-why would anyone do that?

Even if you did manage to get all the technical problems solved, the only thing the puck would be good for is crossword puzzles and video slots...   :lol:

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 10:10:30 PM »

The American broadcaster FOX used that special puck (mentioned previously) one year so they could add special effects to the puck, like making it glow and shot trails. I guess they were trying to help the average american to understand hockey better :crazy: or maybe it was just a marketing gimmick afterall. Here in Canada everyone who was a hockey fan disliked it, or just laughed it off. I'm sure the americans felt the same way about it. :-D

Offline koaftder

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 10:25:10 PM »

Darth_X wrote:

The American broadcaster FOX used that special puck (mentioned previously) one year so they could add special effects to the puck, like making it glow and shot trails. I guess they were trying to help the average american to understand hockey better :crazy: or maybe it was just a marketing gimmick afterall. Here in Canada everyone who was a hockey fan disliked it, or just laughed it off. I'm sure the americans felt the same way about it. :-D

That reminds me, when i first moved to canada, some of my new found canadian buddies took me out to a sports bar. After we all sat down and got our mugs of beer, one of 'em asks, "So, how to you like hockey". I immediately blurt out, "Hockey sucks! What a boreing game". Everybody put down their mugs and gave me this mean look. I told them i was screwing with them, we all laughed. Hockey still sucks.

And what is up with you freaks and Monty Python? Milk in a plastic bag, wtf?! Pictures of dead babies on the front of cigarette packs, etc

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 12:57:08 AM »
Oi! Don't you dare touch Monty Python! I might have to throw a Holy Handgrenade at you.

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 08:11:26 AM »
Yes.
And don't forget...we've seen the training video and we already know that you will be hiding behind the middle bush.