Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: US Copyright Office Examines "Orphan Works" Issues  (Read 2777 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: US Copyright Office Examines "Orphan Works" Is
« on: February 02, 2005, 09:49:47 PM »

Hopefully nothing?? Disrespect authors? HUH?

I'll say what everyone is thinking. I hope genuine abandonware is allowed to be freely distributed.

Anyone here going to tell me with a straight face that they think it should be a crime downloading formerly commercial C= PET software, when it has not been available comerically for 25+ years? So what you would be saying is all old computers should tossed. Magnetic media such as 5&1/4" and 8" deteriorate over time. Even if you legally own the original, what good is it to you if it is a crime to get a copy, or the copy is not available due to public fears of piracy crimes?
[/i]

Sadly, it's the mindset of a few that if your original breaks, then too bad.  Never mind the fact that the programmer might not even remember the damn thing, or that the software company who published the original has been scattered to the four winds, etc.  I've noticed this "radical copyright adherence" in comp.sys.amiga.games a lot - even when people own the original but are looking for a cracked version to use in lieu of risking the original.
Back away from the EU-SSR!