Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BetterWB - release 1.0  (Read 12413 times)

Description:

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
Re: BetterWB - release 1.0
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 21, 2011, 12:22:25 AM »
It installed great.

I can not get it to make a partition bigger than 4Gig though. The new HDTool box works great, shows drive geometry perfect. But when I go to format it, it only says it's going to format a 3,700-ish MB capacity.

I have never used:
FastFileSystem 44.5 patches NSD64 devices to support drives bigger than 4GB (upto 8GB)

Maybe my drive doesn't support this "NSD64 devices" ?

Any thing more I should know? My HD is a real SCSI drive in an A3000, 18Gigs.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Cammy

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 01:12:24 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;615939
Well, I couldnt find any source of good 4 colour workbench 3.1 icons, and some of them were borrowed from MagicWB, if you happen to find proper replacements, please let me know, so I fix the offending ones.

Hi Gulliver, I was wondering if you liked the look of the TinyIcons Rebel and I are working on. They're smaller than the standard Workbench icons so take up less room on the disk. Try to ignore the window patterns if you don't like the dithering, but I assure you on a 1084 monitor or TV it looks fine.

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/images/5087/2_TinyWorkbench.png
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 02:44:45 AM »
I get an error on boot up, something about "Load Monitor driver" or dev. I forget the exact error, but I can write it down and post it.

I went into C and tried to launch it, but it says it is not an executable. Same message from CLI, so I had to comment it out of the Startup-sequence.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline GulliverTopic starter

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 04:09:36 AM »
@XDelusion
It is a bug.
Simple fix is to issue on a CLI window the following command:

protect SYS:#? +rwe ALL

That should fix it. (BTW version 1.01 is available which fixes this issue).

@Cammy
Thank you for your generous offer!
There is a user who has contacted me before, and told me he was making a 4 colour iconset for this pack. So I will wait for him a bit.
In the end if nothing happens, I will be more than happy to include them. They are really cool.
Thank you.

@TheGoose
I believe it is just a problem of the format command that does not support >4GB drives (as everything else is ready for >4GB HDDs).
I suggest as a temporary fix to use this:
http://aminet.net/disk/misc/Format64.lha

It should work now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:15:03 AM by Gulliver »

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 04:15:43 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;616836
Hi Gulliver, I was wondering if you liked the look of the TinyIcons Rebel and I are working on. They're smaller than the standard Workbench icons so take up less room on the disk. Try to ignore the window patterns if you don't like the dithering, but I assure you on a 1084 monitor or TV it looks fine.

:eek:  WOW!  Those are relly good!  I'd grab them just for the heck of it.  I wonder if there is a way to have BOTH Icon groups as part of the install and the person could choose...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 04:34:18 AM »

Is intentional for each drawer icon to have half another drawer underneath it?

Offline Cammy

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 07:52:59 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;616862
Is intentional for each drawer icon to have half another drawer underneath it?

Yeah, we wanted to keep the icons all a standard size so that was the way it ended up looking. It sort of fades out.

It's a shame there's no place to make something like an icon set a collaborative effort, I wouldn't mind in a way open sourcing the icons so other people can add to and adjust them.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad

Get AmigaOS

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 11:04:54 AM »

I like the icons, they're cute. Also the font, although on a TV you might want to make each vertical 2 pixels wide rather than one (and the same for the gaps between verticals). That would also prevent some aliasing issues with the vertical pinstripe patterns you're using to get some subtle shades - could you dither, um, XXX rather than | | | perhaps?

When I get an FPGAArcade I will happily sit there and tweak the font if you like, I used to love spending hours doing bitmaps fonts.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 12:20:33 PM »
We tried both dithering methods, the vertical lines and the regular cross-hatch pattern but the cross-hatch one caused more aliasing issues so we opted not to use it. Anyone can easily change the window patterns though, and in the pack I was going to make I will include both types of patterns and a bunch of others to choose from.

I think it would be great to have some extra help with the fonts. Currently the screen font also has several special characters which are tiny black&white images that I use in the ToolsDaemon menu to give the appearance of an icon before each entry, similar to the way it looks in more modern OSs. The icon font is a ColorFont with a black shadow, needing no extra patches.

Get AmigaOS

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »
Ah, well if you've tried then that's cool.

I like the idea of custom characters for icons in a colour font. I presume it's 4 colours, clear/white/black/grey? Maybe some room for a little anti-aliasing between the white text and black drop shadow then. It's been a while since I played with colour fonts though...

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 06:32:37 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;616859
@XDelusion
It is a bug.
Simple fix is to issue on a CLI window the following command:

protect SYS:#? +rwe ALL

That should fix it. (BTW version 1.01 is available which fixes this issue).

@TheGoose
I believe it is just a problem of the format command that does not support >4GB drives (as everything else is ready for >4GB HDDs).
I suggest as a temporary fix to use this:
http://aminet.net/disk/misc/Format64.lha

It should work now.

Thank you again Gulliver, think I'm gonna be much happier with this setup on my A3000, with some Awesome icons Cammy should hand over! It will be really cool, tidy.

I ended up copying over OS3.5 FFS to my setup. The partitions report correctly if I look at the 'drive information' on the icon.

Still the odd thing is that the window, the title bar, will not display the correct size / free size, it appears to have some max number about 3gig.

I think this is somehow unrelated to the HD setup, a OS bug, some .library bug.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:06:15 PM by TheGoose »
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2011, 04:16:29 PM »
Hey Gulliver!

I've been playing around with the betterWB and found the unixDirs3 in the commodities drawer.  Pardon my ignorance, but if I throw that baby into my startup folder, do I get an AmigaDos CLI that behaves like a unix command line?

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;617693
Hey Gulliver!

I've been playing around with the betterWB and found the unixDirs3 in the commodities drawer.  Pardon my ignorance, but if I throw that baby into my startup folder, do I get an AmigaDos CLI that behaves like a unix command line?

No, what you get is Unix style paths, like: cd.., cd..., cd...., *, etc., from the usual CLI. For more information, just read the UnixDirs3.guide located in your SYS:Locale/Help/

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;617694
No, what you get is Unix style paths, like: cd.., cd..., cd...., *, etc., from the usual CLI. For more information, just read the UnixDirs3.guide located in your SYS:Locale/Help/

sweeeet.  will do.

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2011, 05:24:38 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;617694
Can't read them for some reason.  Opening the mwith multiview gives me the front pages, but then it complains and says that they cannot be opened.  Must be something in my setup.

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;617699
Can't read them for some reason.  Opening the mwith multiview gives me the front pages, but then it complains and says that they cannot be opened.  Must be something in my setup.

Multiview fails on very low memory conditions. If that is the case, then boot without startup-sequence by holding both mouse buttons and the run multiview from the cli. Another solution, not ideal though, is to open the .guide with a text editor such as ed, textengine, or microemacs.