Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?  (Read 51171 times)

Description:

Offline Madshib

• Show all replies
Re: Ease off bashing Amiga x1000?
« on: July 23, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »
I just mentioned something to this effect on the Yahoo Amiga forum I am a subscriber to. The computer is expensive, yes, but I have no experience with 4.1.

When my dad bought our A1000 in 85, it was 800 bucks with 512k, a 1010, and KS1.2. We didn't need the monitor as we were upgrading from a C64 and had a 1701. He was so excited about using Workbench and I was excited about playing Defender of the Crown and SDI. I was 7 years old and grew up with this machine and the subsequent upgrades that followed. Comparatively speaking though, it was the cheapest thing out there that did what it did(and still does for all the people I see on here with A1000s).

Now, in 2013, computer hardware is dirt cheap and nothing here seems truly "special" anymore. What remains special is the operating systems in which we function digitally. I'd like to try AOS4.1, but I can't justify the price for the machine that it is now developed for. I can still get my hands on a 3.1 machine though.

I just bought a used A1200 base for $150USD and am looking forward to building it up and start programming in C on this platform and for *nix, shortly after I relive some old teenage memories on the thing.

I guess my point is I'm trying to understand the new direction with the X1000 and it only seems to cater to people "in the know" with some serious dough.

I couldn't afford the A1200 back in 94, so I bought a new A600 with no regrets. nearly 20 years later, I have the 1200 I wanted and maybe in 15+ years I can pick up the X1000 when someone is selling one to buy their X4000.

Here's to hoping :drink: