Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 going online  (Read 7871 times)

Description:

Offline pVC

Re: A1200 going online
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »
Quote from: bbond007;670995
Why not use DHCP?

I have been using DHCP with MiamiDX from the start...

Because AmiTCP/IP based stacks don't come with DHCP support and some people prefer them for efficiency and availability.

MiamiDX is too bloated with features which are useless for many people. Makes it bit messy IMHO. I think Genesis GUI is more clear and it is already installed for people who use OS3.9. I've used MiamiDX only on special occasions like when I've absolutely needed DHCP, PPPoE, broadcasting or network sharing via Amiga, but in the most cases external routers have obsoleted those needs nowadays and basic network setups are just fine. AmiTCP is also much faster than traffic monitoring Miami...
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 05:12:02 PM »
Ah, Cammy to the rescue!

As far as AmiTCP vs. MiamiDX goes, how much lighter is AmiTCP supposed to be? What's the general memory/CPU use for either?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 05:18:34 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;670998
Ah, Cammy to the rescue!

As far as AmiTCP vs. MiamiDX goes, how much lighter is AmiTCP supposed to be? What's the general memory/CPU use for either?

I can't get MiamiDX to play ball with my A1200 and CNet ethernet adapter, just will not connect.  In the end used Genesis (which is based on Amitcp) and works great, very fast and small too.

Offline pVC

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 06:00:59 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;670998

CPU usage will be at max with nowadays speeds with 68k systems.. with faster cpu you get faster transfers and on same cpu you get faster speed with AmiTCP. I don't know memory usage as I've always had "enough" mem on my systems, but pre Genesis AmiTCP:s should take noticeably less than ones with GUIs... but mem consumption shouldn't be the issue if you have some fast mem anyway..
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 03:18:40 AM »
Quote from: pVC;670997
Because AmiTCP/IP based stacks don't come with DHCP support and some people prefer them for efficiency and availability.

MiamiDX is too bloated with features which are useless for many people. Makes it bit messy IMHO. I think Genesis GUI is more clear and it is already installed for people who use OS3.9. I've used MiamiDX only on special occasions like when I've absolutely needed DHCP, PPPoE, broadcasting or network sharing via Amiga, but in the most cases external routers have obsoleted those needs nowadays and basic network setups are just fine. AmiTCP is also much faster than traffic monitoring Miami...

ram before miami dx.
ram after

1433420 = 1.37 MB

how much does Amitcp use? the only reason I'd even consider anything other than Miami is for something like my Minimig which has only 1.5mb fast ram and 2mb chip.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 04:23:32 AM »
Huh, ~1.5MB shouldn't be a problem, I've got 32MB in there now. However, I can't seem to get it working; I've got MiamiDX all installed (can't figure out how to use the keyfiles to register, though,) but it doesn't seem to be talking to the network correctly. I've got the driver for the PCMCIA LAN card installed (3c589.device, it's an Etherlink III 3c589D-TP,) I've got it set up to use DHCP, but it doesn't seem to do anything; the little 10BaseT light on the card dongle doesn't even come on, nor does the corresponding port light on the router. Is there some step I'm missing in configuring the hardware?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 04:40:12 AM »
Oh, something else to watch out for.
This is documented, but if you don't read the known problems, section..  ;-)

WHDLOAD doesn't like networking..
Rather, networking messes up WHDLOAD..  It can cause weird errors or freeze your Amiga.

All you have to do is disable your IP stack before launching a game and all is good.
(In fact, you can even have WHDLOAD do that automatically...)

Just something to remember...

Have fun!

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline SnoozyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Snoozy
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 12:07:21 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;670956
You should definitely use MiamiDX for 3.1 ... Great TCP/IP stack!

http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/MiamiDx10cmain
http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/MiamiDx10c-MUI
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=209883&postcount=10

I think this is all you need...

to transfer files you can use this:

http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/AmiTradeCenter

I also use SAMBA wich works great but may be really slow on a 030 as its kinda sluggish on my 060.

http://www.birrabrothers.com/tiger/data/samba/download/index.htm

if you get a browser like Ibrowse or aweb  going you can use this portal to access this site.

http://aoproxy.extropia.co.uk

Hi, i'm having some problems installing miamidx, as  it keeps telling me i need to install the mui files which i i've aready installed...hmm is miami for os 3.1?

I'm using OS 3.9 and i see on my internet options that i have genesis already available. When i double click genesis it tells me to insert amitcp in any drive - i have already installed amitcp so i don't know why it can't find it  (I have a pcmcia card plugged in with ethernet cable to router)

Any advice? :)

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 01:34:41 AM »
Quote from: Snoozy;670933
Hi, well i didn't buy from amigakit but i would buy their software but its on a cd, so can you copy the cd onto pc and then from pc on to a CF and PCMCIA adaptor and install to the 1200 that way?

Just got a grab a copy of EasyNet, it's easy to use a PC to grab it off the CDROM and stick it on your CF.  :)

I was going to use a LAN connection with my ACA 56Mhz 030 but after struggling to connect to shared drives on my 64bit Windows 7 box I gave up and went back to the good old CF/PCMCIA solution.   Using Amiga web browsers was painful for anything more than downloading stuff off AmiNet.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 03:39:30 AM »
Its awfully handy for getting stuff off aminet.

It can be painful for other things. Some times I end up doing it just because :)

Forums usually arent too bad, though you may as well disable images.
I set Ibrowse up to use RAM as cache instead of the hard drive, which seems to be a little bit faster.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 04:06:03 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;670961
You should definitely try using your A1200 to chat with, the keyboard is a dream to use compared to any modern keyboards which use cheap rubber components instead of coiled, metal springs like the A1200.
A1200 keyboards use a membrane and rubber contacts. Apparently you haven't seen one of these on the inside... A1200 keyboards are just as crappy as any cheap keyboard. Buckling spring switches in an A1200 keyboard, if only!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 05:37:08 AM »
I would kill a not insignificant amount of windows users, to have a 1200 with an IBM model M keyboard in it.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 06:03:48 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;674957
A1200 keyboards use a membrane and rubber contacts. Apparently you haven't seen one of these on the inside... A1200 keyboards are just as crappy as any cheap keyboard. Buckling spring switches in an A1200 keyboard, if only!

Did you completely misread my post? Read it again, take note of what I said "coiled metal springs". How you misinterpreted this as "buckling spring switches" I have no idea. I have seen inside all the Amiga keyboards, and guess what pops out if you pull a key off an A1200? A spring! Not some little rubber notch. The coiled spring provides the only resistance between the key and the membrane, allowing your fingers to glide down and back up without having to apply extra pressure to register a keystroke. Typing for several hours on a keyboard with rubber notches (the same you find inside control pad buttons) puts a lot of stress on your fingers. The A1200's keys don't. So therefore when I say the A1200 is a dream to use compared to "any modern keyboards which use cheap rubber components" I mean exactly that, it's better than any keyboard which uses rubber notches to add resistance to the keys because it puts a lot less stress on your fingers than those ones do.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline SnoozyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Snoozy
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 07:53:04 AM »
i do agree with cammy that the 1200 keyboard is better quality compared to modern keyboards. Although i do as little typing as possible these days by using "dragon naturally speaking" software :lol:

So do i need to install amitcp into the genesis folder? Do i need a key file for genesis to work?

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »
Nope, no keyfile needed for Genesis :)
Hmm,... that's a bit odd about it asking you to insert amitcp when starting Genesis. Perhaps a remnant from a previous attempt at installing a tcp/ip stack?
I recommend installing snoopdos and seeing exactly what its looking for at that point and possibly making an assign for "amitcp:" at that path. Not a particularly "clean" solution, but it may work (snoopdos will give you clues here as to whether it will or not). Slight sidebar, but snoopdos is pretty essential in general, so get it if you dont already have it  :)

As for the a1200 keyboards, Im with Cammy and Snoozy here, I really like them. Theyre both nice and "soft" to type on, plus quite sturdy. My only complaint would be that some common multiple key combinations dont work. They definately use springs and not some rubber membrane though. Ive actually lost the spring from my keypad enter key at the moment so have some blutac holding up the little tube switch/clip/whatever_you_call_it thing that the key plugs into (and that spring sits in). :)
Not my greatest makeshift diy fix it job I must admit  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 09, 2012, 11:48:58 AM »
OFF-TOPIC:

Quote from: Cammy;674972
Did you completely misread my post? Read it again, take note of what I said "coiled metal springs". How you misinterpreted this as "buckling spring switches" I have no idea.
Probably because I only read the word 'spring' and had completely forgotten about the coiled springs under the key caps (I haven't used an Amiga keyboard for six years now). Also, it was late when I posted ;)
Quote from: Snoozy;674977
i do agree with cammy that the 1200 keyboard is better quality compared to modern keyboards.
Modern keyboards use the same kind of technology as Amiga keyboards: Rubber notches for contact (internally) and membranes, they only added springs under the key caps. Furthermore, peecee keyboards come in different levels of quality, so saying that 'modern' keyboards aren't as good as Amiga keyboards doesn't mean much, and is ultimately not true, because they still make buckling spring keyboards, and these are the best (and come at a quite price).

This technology is extremely cheap and crappy. The only good keyboards are buckling spring keyboards, and they've been making these since the early '80s, or probably even since the '70s. Buckling springs are the modern stuff, while todays craptastic rubber notch+membrane rubbish is a huge step backward (and sadly this includes Amiga keyboards).