Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Openssh and xwindows on amig  (Read 1478 times)

Description:

Openssh and xwindows on amig
« on: November 20, 2002, 07:19:23 AM »
Hi, I was just wondering a few things.

1. Is is possible to connect with an amiga to a linux system using openssh?

2.Is it posible to use som implementation of xwindows and above-mentioned openssh connection to get apps running on the linux system to appear in nice little windows in the amiga workbench?  

3. If the answer is yes to any of the questions, is there any limitations to the amiga version of these programs...as in: Well, it exists but haven't been updated since xxxx, and only works with old versions of x or ssh or whatever?

thx in advance
 :-)

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Openssh and xwindows on amig
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 07:36:12 AM »
1. Is is possible to connect with an amiga to a linux system using openssh?

Yes. I use AmTelnet. There are also free(ware) ssh ports for amiga, try google. These don't do ssh2 though, so you need to tune your sshd_config to have "Protocol 2,1".

2.Is it posible to use som implementation of xwindows and above-mentioned openssh connection to get apps running on the linux system to appear in nice little windows in the amiga workbench?

Try xami.
However, I am not sure if it does ssh tunneling at all. I use it in fullscreen mode.

Don't forget to enable networking mode in your linux box xserver (for example Debian GNU/Linux has it disabled by default, for security reasons).

3. If the answer is yes to any of the questions, is there any limitations to the amiga version of these programs...as in: Well, it exists but haven't been updated since xxxx, and only works with old versions of x or ssh or whatever?

AmTelnet only does ssh1. Not sure about those "free" ports.
Xami is quite recent, and it works really great in LAN.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
Re: Openssh and xwindows on amig
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 09:23:30 AM »
There is a port of OpenSSH that does ssh v2 support, but it doesn't work with sshs keys, and it requires a Geek Gadgets install.

If you need to use sshs identity keys, I think only MiamiTelnet and MiamiDx support it, but even then only ssh v1.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6