Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Network file share as Hard disk  (Read 893 times)

Description:

Offline _ZooL_Topic starter

• Show only replies by _ZooL_
Network file share as Hard disk
« on: March 21, 2005, 08:58:30 PM »
I want to have a bootable floppy disk with only cnet.device and AmiTCP that will connect to a file share on my PC and use this share as a kind of slow hard disk. This would allow me to use the virtually unlimited (in Amiga terms) space on my PC's hard disk to store Workbench, DPaint, Games etc. How would I go about doing this? I haven't worked with AmigaOS for a while  so I'm not entirely sure. Btw, this is for a 1200, kickstart 3.1.

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
Re: Network file share as Hard disk
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 09:53:57 PM »
Wow, I actually worked on a disk like that awhile ago, never quite finished it but it was/is just lacking some final touches.

I use AmiTCP which I stripped all unnecessary stuff out of, then I used smbfs for mounting a Samba share to boot from. When booting just let the Startup-Sequence reassign all necessary stuff such as SYS: Libs: S: Devs: and so on to the Network share and then execute it's Startup-Sequence. Uhm. Well. Good Luck! :)
Slightly bored and severly confused..

Offline _ZooL_Topic starter

• Show only replies by _ZooL_
Re: Network file share as Hard disk
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 10:17:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I'll give it a try. Was it usable at a decent speed? Also, if I mount this "hard disk", can I use the WB3.1 Install disk to install WB onto it just like an actual hard disk?