Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need help  (Read 804 times)

Description:

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Need help
« on: May 16, 2004, 11:46:56 AM »
I wasnt thinking straight and I installde win2kpro ontop of winxppro for a dual boot scenario, problem is i did it the wrong way around.

So when i try and boot into xp its now trying to boot into win2kpro, and wont boot xp.

Short of doing a recovery with my winxp cd(which isnt where i am or mu puter is at the moment), does anyone know of a way or rstoring the boot partition to boot my winxp properly

thanks for your time, one dumb ass
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

guest1955

Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 11:50:34 AM »
Did you install 2k straight over your XP partition? If not, you can make them both come up in the bootloader by adding something like:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
to your c:/boot.ini file.
Then you can select either of them from the start.

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 11:59:43 AM »
they are both in my bootloader, but when u select winxp it tries to boot xp as win2kpro, they are both on the same partition, but obviously in different directoris, as win2kpro used the winnt folder and winxppro uses the old stylee windows directory
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

guest1955

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 12:06:36 PM »
Hmm. Well, if all you want is XP back at any cost, why not just rename WINNT to something that it wouldn't recognise as the main system directory (You'd have to go into DOS for this).
If you want both, do you have a second partition? Then you could move one of them into it, (And a copy of the other system files in root) and change the bootloader to suit.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

Good luck