Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows NT4 and Windows2000 Source Code Pieces Leaked  (Read 5915 times)

Description:

Offline 23JUL

• Show only replies by 23JUL
    • http://amiga.name
Re: Windows NT4 and Windows2000 Source Code Pieces Leaked
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 13, 2004, 03:59:24 PM »
I guess they were using Windows 2000 to run their FTP server

No, see leak.

BTW: could you consider windows, open source now?

Offline SidMan

• Show only replies by SidMan
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2004, 04:01:01 PM »
@Step and Bloodline,

Yep, was thinking the same thing. This could be another ploy to get people to upgrade.

SidMan

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2004, 04:05:49 PM »
Ya know hackers/crackers would get their hands on and then release their own updates which happen to be trojans...

OOPS! Did I say that out loud?

Yup, I'm so glad I downloaded my ISO before this happened.

OOPS! Did I say that out loud?

:-D

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2004, 04:23:56 PM »
Lempkee lauded:
well i am serious, this is the chance AMIGA , LINUX and MAC has to become world dominant and where windows and m$ will hopefully dissapear :)
;-) Well, they probably won't disappear over this, unless they lose more in the future.  However, they probably will lose a lot of the market share.

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2004, 05:00:30 PM »
Hmmm? Ever notice how faithful dogs are in regard to their owner's wellbeing?
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2004, 05:22:01 PM »
@step / bloodline -
That's really cynical. It was my first thought too.

Actually, I think they'll do that, also...  But, even worse, is this scenerio.

From the original Washington Post article, though, we even an even more omnious possibility....

Howard Schmidt, former head of security at Microsoft, said he was less concerned about the security implications of the leak than its potential threat to Microsoft's intellectual property.

"From a security standpoint, this is sort of like capturing a 1956 Russian fighter jet," he said. "Everyone has been beating on Windows 2000 and NT for a long time, and any flaws that may be found have likely been fixed long ago. Frankly, I'd be more worried that someone was going to use this as a base for developing software or another operating system based on Microsoft's proprietary code."

Schmidt left Microsoft in December 2001 to work as a cyber-security official in the Bush administration.

Oh boy, the SCO campaign is working so well, guess who else's source code got spread around.....  (sigh)

(edit - fixed a broken link)

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2004, 05:59:08 PM »
I've been wondering about the SCO angle since it got discussed on Slashdot this morning, and I don't think it's much of an issue now.

Bear in mind a few things:
 * For MS to sue someone successfully for using MS IP, they need proof (identical or near identical code)
 * Any commercial company has got to be plain stupid, or so incredibly unlikely to reproduce near/identical code without prior knowledge of MS code
 * This doesn't affect the Linux community in the slightest.  The code isn't going to look even remotely similiar, unless they were stupid enough to use identical variable names or something.

Otherwise it would just be an SCO tactic.  And I very much doubt SCO will be successful, because that would mean anyone can point fingers at anyone with no proof/evidence whatsoever.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2004, 06:11:11 PM »
Otherwise it would just be an SCO tactic. And I very much doubt SCO will be successful, because that would mean anyone can point fingers at anyone with no proof/evidence whatsoever.

That's just the thing.  Regardless of the outcome of the lawsuits, SCO has ALREADY been highly successful.  They have had the chance to plaster FUD everywhere.  They have managed to slow the adoption of Free software, and, somehow, they have even found a few sympathisers along the way.

Now, imagine Microsoft launching a similar campaign.  They already have the size and employment numbers.  They already have the US government in their pocket.  They could probably win the FUD campaign AND the lawsuits against pretty much any target they choose....  Regardless of the facts.  Image is everything.  Facts can say whatever you want them to.  

What if the leaked code actually contained MS code taken from Linux?  Let's say some lazy Redmond programmers stole a few routines and took an extra vacation in the time they saved.  Well, those segments happened to be in the "leaked" code.  Now it's just a "he said / she said" argument over who wrote the code.  

Don't get me wrong.  I don't think Microsoft will go out and use this technique except as a last resort...  But a painful doomsday weapon it could be....

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2004, 07:14:02 PM »
Well,  I reckon Ms leaked it themselves...

And now they'll pipe up how Win2k  etc can't be guarenteed secure anymore ..Which lets Ms off the security breach updates ..

AND

[Sales mode on]

Of course ...If you buy our latest... (Longhorn?) it will,  Of course,  be absolutely safe !!  (And we make heaps more dosh in the process).

[/Sales mode off]

Its SO obvious.
The Reluctant Pom

Offline DaNi

• Show only replies by DaNi
    • http://morphos.blog.com.es/
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2004, 07:44:09 PM »
cool! are the source code of internet explorer inside of this win source? =) send me for compile!!! whahahaha
EFIKA 5K2 PowerPC G2 400Mhz, MorphOS 2.7, 128MB 266MHz DDR RAM, FSB 133MHz, 500GB HDD, Radeon 9200 PRO 128MB, USB HUB x8.

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2004, 08:49:41 PM »
That's just the thing. Regardless of the outcome of the lawsuits, SCO has ALREADY been highly successful.

Not if you measure by a yardstick of commercial success.  Which is what their intention was.  Either by being bought by IBM (which would be great for SCO stockholders), or getting business to pay for "Linux licenses".

They have had the chance to plaster FUD everywhere. They have managed to slow the adoption of Free software, and, somehow, they have even found a few sympathisers along the way.

As MS have been funding their efforts, that might well have been MS's intention.

The only flaw in your idea is that MS would get a horrendously bad reputation with everyone for what is basically trying to extort money from people that MS have no right to.  And they wouldn't succeed for the exact reasons I previously described.  No proof, unless someone blatantly plagiarises their code, which would be really dumb.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2004, 03:17:52 AM »
This "could" increase the amount of virus' and what not, meaning people will grow even more tired of winblows, ecspecially when they are offered alternatives that come with the ease of use, but will a    LOT less hassel.      

I don't think this wil benafit Amiga at all, as the commen computer user does not have an EXPENSIVE Amiga or Peg sitting about.

It "might" help out alternative X86 OS's over the next few years, unfortunatly Linux is the most popular and most widely known of those alternatives and will prolly reap the most benafits, if they can make it easy to use that is.

Too bad BeOS ain't around still, microsoft really screwed them outta the home computer sceen back in the day with that damn Boot Sector contract, otherwise Be might possibly be reaping a lot of attention like never before!

Another side benafit for this is that it could help out projects like WINE, and ReactOS that are working on way to run WInblows programs without having WInblows. THey would just have to be careful to change what sources they were using enough not to get there butts in trouble.

I think this is funny, I love it, hopefully some day Microsoft will fully take a Karmic blow, and perhaps OS' that are more deserving to dominate the market will some day take the stage...

...you know? Os's that were not stolen from someone, or rip off someone else's idea, OS's that were researched out the but and made with blood sweat and tears...

....kinda like Be, Amiga or the new SKyOS.

Linux IS BLOAT, and more annoying that M$ so I don't count them, and I don't care if you can boot into a CLI based interface off a floppy, Amiga booted into a Multi-tasking GUI off half a floppy!!!! ;p
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2004, 04:11:37 AM »
My bandwidth is low.

Can somebody burn a CD and send it to me?? :-D

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2004, 10:46:30 AM »
Too bad BeOS ain't around still, microsoft really screwed them outta the home computer sceen back in the day with that damn Boot Sector contract, otherwise Be might possibly be reaping a lot of attention like never before!

I think the real problem was Be just gave up.

Offline WarPiper

• Show only replies by WarPiper
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2004, 04:54:59 AM »
Humm... I am wondering if this may be a ploy to see if linux developers would alter code and or include some of the code in the Linux OS for the purpose of possable law suites against Linux companies.

to try to squash out the Linux Community through leagle litigation for use of the code.

"This initiative was started to counter the success of the open source movement which is based around the freedom to inspect and play with the source code of computer programs."
There was a time I can remember computers were fun...I miss my A1200.

Offline Kaminari

• Show only replies by Kaminari
    • http://namida.com/kaminarimon/
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2004, 09:42:56 AM »
The source code of NotePad and MSPaint. Big deal!

Of course it's a marketing ploy.
"Silence is the most resounding word." (Sima Qian)