Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I don't know how to use the new amiga.org! :-o  (Read 5094 times)

Description:

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
Re: I don't know how to use the new amiga.org! :-o
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 10, 2009, 01:09:19 AM »
@ Wayne

Thank you. Apology accepted (reluctantly) but it's not needed :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:14:27 AM by ZeBeeDee »
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 06:39:19 AM »
@Wayne,

I understand your frustration and I truly don't understand all the fuss from some people about the function of this site.  I haven't had any trouble or complaints that I can remember at the moment.  I do think that any question posed by the site should be generic though, as we do have some newbie Amiga users that have little to no knowledge of the Amiga past and might not know the name of anyone at Amiga Inc. past, present, or future.

I don't think you would want to limit the access to this site only to those users who are knowledgeable of Amiga terms, people, etc. when there are sure to be some people that visit here out of curiosity, or are new Amiga users.

Just my 2 cents,

Edit:  I see your point about using Google to find the answer to any question posed, and agree that it is not too much to ask, if the person is really interested in browsing this site.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:42:01 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »
@ all: Vbulletin works great.

It's the most popular forum software out there. Once you learn how to use it. You won't regret it.

Oh and it doesn't hurt to ask nicely if you want help.

@ Original Poster & A1260: Whining and saying you hate the site would earn you a ban elsewhere and doesn't help anyone. Be grateful you have this place for free and learn to respect someone else's hard work.

Suggestions or requests should be constructive and put forward maturely to the right people in the right way. If someone came and knocked on your door and said he hated your messy garden and the colour of your door it is ugly and it stinks would you listen to him?

On the other hand if someone suggested to you politely that it would suit the neighborhood if all houses kept within a certain colour scheme and that they were willing to help you clean up your garden wouldn't you prefer that over the whinger?

When you are typing on a forum you are talking directly to other people and what you type affects others just like it does in the real world. You should learn to respect that.

Enjoy interacting with people if you don't enjoy it here then find another forum where you will feel at home. Nobody is forcing you to like a particular site or its functions.

I can't beleive how inconsiderate some people can be. :bitch:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:03:01 PM by GadgetMaster »

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 03:10:52 PM »
Quote from: A1260;518589
if they could put up a theme that looked more like the old theme instead of this mess of a theme they have now. things would be better but with no choice we are stuck with this shait, the whola site is a mess and very hard to find things, take a look at aw.net and amigans.net they got great themes and very easy to find what you want. its a shame that a.org have become a drag, i dont visit the site much anymore.............

I doubt anyone cares what you think to be honest. You are just an annoying fly
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:19:47 PM by JJ »
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 05:04:55 PM »
Quote from: A1260;518589
i dont visit the site much anymore.............

We can only hope and pray for such mercy. You couldn't do us a better favour.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »
@ Wayne

99% of Amiga.org users are happy so I wouldn't worry about it..I say take your bike out for a nice leisure ride and enjoy :-)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Firedawg

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Firedawg
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 08:41:06 PM »
The GadgetMaster speaks with much wisdom and truth.  

The Dawg

Quote from: GadgetMaster;518701
@ all: Vbulletin works great.

It's the most popular forum software out there. Once you learn how to use it. You won't regret it.

Oh and it doesn't hurt to ask nicely if you want help.

@ Original Poster & A1260: Whining and saying you hate the site would earn you a ban elsewhere and doesn't help anyone. Be grateful you have this place for free and learn to respect someone else's hard work.

Suggestions or requests should be constructive and put forward maturely to the right people in the right way. If someone came and knocked on your door and said he hated your messy garden and the colour of your door it is ugly and it stinks would you listen to him?

On the other hand if someone suggested to you politely that it would suit the neighborhood if all houses kept within a certain colour scheme and that they were willing to help you clean up your garden wouldn't you prefer that over the whinger?

When you are typing on a forum you are talking directly to other people and what you type affects others just like it does in the real world. You should learn to respect that.

Enjoy interacting with people if you don't enjoy it here then find another forum where you will feel at home. Nobody is forcing you to like a particular site or its functions.

I can't beleive how inconsiderate some people can be. :bitch:
Amiga 4000T/60 - A2000/60 - 1200T/60, Soldered Up 3 x Minimig 1.1, Mac Mini 1.5 Running MacOSX/MOS 2.7-Registered

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »
The new site is so much better than the old one it's practically incomparable.

Forum searching can put a high load upon the database server, so it's usually the feature that has the most bot-capturing logic applied to it.

It's a shame that the old Amiga browsers seem to be failing with some basic functionalities relating to the site. There's not much that can be done if the browsers are old or in development/alpha/beta except wait.

Offline VanillaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Vanilla
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;518584
I spent over an hour typing up a huge post listing all the recent software that has been released for classic Amigas and got this exact same problem! So after I clicked back, my message was gone too! And this WAS in IBROWSE!!!

:-O!

Can't believe it! IBrowse has always been good to me.

I see lots on AW.net but have't noticed much here. But I'm not looking all the time. Working on other things usually.
Welcome Vanilla. To your continuing tour of duty. :-)
 :angel:

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 04:31:39 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;518587
@Cammy and Vanilla

deleting the cookies from time to time, helps with such kind of things (on both OWB and IB)

By hand? OWB has no cookes in menu.

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 04:53:34 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;518592
If you need any help locating or using things, just ask.

I thought I did in the first thread but anyway, how do I reply to a person and quote to different sections of test?

On utilitybase I press "Quote" then drag select what I want and then have to paste it in between the codes, cluimsy, but works. Aw.net I drag select then click "Quote" and paste it in the box, prss return and it's in. Another non-Amiga forum I drag select what I want then press "Quote" and it's all done. Best I've sen yet! Because amiga.org is now modern I half expected it to work that way but it looks like it doesn't.

Not trying to compare here it's just what I'm used too. Also, what happened to the smileys? All I see is text. :-? Amiga.org still teething?

Quote from: Karlos;518592
Also, in the past, I've noticed that when I get logged out whilst writing a post, simply submitting the post is enough. It asks you to put in your login credentials again, and if you do so correctly, your post is submitted. There's no need to try to "go back" in the browser, the forum software has a degree more intelligence in that regard and temporarily holds your post whilst you login.

I tried this too but no post was posted.

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2009, 05:01:08 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;518616
And since we're here, I have sent a few private messages to people on this forum over the last few weeks, and half of them just didn't get through. I sent a message to someone, didn't get a reply, so sent another one and they replied saying they never got the first one. My next replies went unanswered too, and I wonder if they even got through. I had no login problems when doing this either, and I have submitted messages both from IBrowse in AmigaOS and Opera in Linux, and both times it seems the messages were never received and read.

Gee that's funny, I once sent you a message over at AW.net that remained replyless. :-) Hehe.

But I have noticed that sometimes if I reply as soon as I see it the other person will wait  a month when I have forgotten it.

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2009, 05:02:44 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;518629
I just cannot believe there is so much whining over such a simplistic feature.

Can I ask what the feature is?

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2009, 05:08:36 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;518701
@ Original Poster & A1260: Whining and saying you hate the site would earn you a ban elsewhere and doesn't help anyone.

When did I say this? Since I am the OP.

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2009, 06:55:53 PM »
Quote from: Vanilla;519091
Can I ask what the feature is?
You're the one complaining about it.  If you don't know what you're whining about, why are you whining?
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2009, 07:02:12 PM »
Quote from: Vanilla;519088
Also, what happened to the smileys? All I see is text. :-? Amiga.org still teething?

Another feature that's been explained several times, but obviously since you missed it, it doesn't exist  

:laughing:

Quick Links >> Edit Options >> Miscellaneous Options >> Message Editor Interface

Use the Enhanced Interface (WYSIWYG).

Seriously though...  vBulletin is used twice as many sites as any other package on the planet.  The fact that you haven't run across it before is surprising, unless the ONLY sites you ever visit are confined to the now-antiquated Amiga.

Everything you're looking for is there, and is usually in plain site, as long as you bother to look for it with an open mind.

Replying with a quote is easy, just click "Quote" when reading a message.  If you want to reply to multiple messages in one, simply select each message you want to quote, then click "Multi "" which is right next to the Quote button.  The rest, meaning the [ quote ] and [ /quote ] tags work EXACTLY like they do at AmigaWorld or any other BBCODE compliant site.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:04:18 PM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//