Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?  (Read 3844 times)

Description:

Offline Reactioned

• Show only replies by Reactioned
Re: Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 26, 2006, 11:56:44 PM »
Sorry for jumping in back there. I'm doing this on a phone and missed reading the last dozen posts.
amiga.org PDA version anyone?
Wandering \\\'round the fringe.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2006, 04:17:04 AM »
wtf??? dont be so rude
get to  computer and read the last dozen posts
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline dillinger

• Show only replies by dillinger
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2006, 05:13:47 AM »
i know you can't afford it right now. but i say save for a pegII with MorphOS. it's the ultimate next-generation Amiga experience. even more so than AOS4, which is verging more away from the original transparent/open Commodore OS design we all love.

you can even directly install your old Workbench disks and run that instead of MOS if you like. But MOS is just like a pumpedup version of AmigaDOS/Workbench on steroids, so I doubt you'd do that but the options there.  :-D
My Sys Specs:-
A1200 Desktop^Blizzard 060 (Phase5) with mk-IV SCSI Kit (8.5ROM)^128MB 60ns RAM^Int. 30GB HD^Ext. SCSI DVD drive & 9GB SCSI HD^Int. DCE ScanDoubler/FF^ MicroVitec 1701 Msync monitor^PCMCIA LAN Linked^AmigaOS 3.9+BlizKick+PFS3

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2006, 12:03:25 PM »
@KThunder
AmigaDOS is (for a very large part) a port of TRIPOS - but TRIPOS isn't based on Unix at all. If you take a look at the interna - memory management, message passing, micro kernel - this is quite obvious.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2006, 04:52:33 PM »
save for a pegII with MorphOS. it's the ultimate next-generation Amiga experience. even more so than AOS4, which is verging more away from the original transparent/open Commodore OS design we all love
What does THAT mean and where did you get that notion from??

OS4 seems very Amiga-like to me. just like MOS, it FEELS like amiga - just faster. And just as a reminder, I have a peg and I go to Amiga meets where we get to play with an A1 - with the Latest OS4.

there's some differences, of course, but they are basically similar enough to both be Amiga. And I say this as a USER.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline wisementradingdotcom

• Show only replies by wisementradingdotcom
    • http://wisementrading.com
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2006, 06:23:36 PM »

In my personal opinion, of all OS I know, LINUX is most dissimilar to AmigaOS !

It is not intuitive. You have to read several pages of manuals to do the simplest things.

Getting new Hardware working, is close to impossible for a "normal" user.

I couldn't agree more with you. I installed Xandros hoping to be able to do somethings on it that Amiga OS4 can't yet. I had heard that Xandros was easy to use, but it just tries to hide an overly complex system from the user. Boy does this sound farmiliar to another OS I know!

AS to the hardware my understading is that when a new Linux kernel comes out a lot of hardware that used to work no longer does. If you doubt this just try to get a two to three year old Intel winmodem to work!!

That is not all; IMHO Linux is a lot slower on the same hardware then Windows XP. This is not good. Maybe I just need some new drivers, but tring to update even the update list on dial up Internet is... well painfully slooooow.

Still there are things to like about Linux and if Amiga 3.x and 4.x, MOS, MAC OS and the like where not available Linux might look a lot better.

Offline r0jaws

• Show only replies by r0jaws
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2006, 09:21:24 PM »
I like Ubuntu and XFCE as the Window manager. Fast and light, can be tricky at first but can look damn pretty have a look at
DreamLinux
As an example. Dreamlinux is Debian based too!
lovely  :-)

Offline r0jaws

• Show only replies by r0jaws
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2006, 09:29:23 PM »
@wisemantrading
Winmodem on linux? You are joking of course. The clue is in the title. Some work but most don't. Bin the cheapo piece of rubbish and get a proper modem.
Linux Forums are full of people who try to get this sort of duff tripe to work. It is well documented that these modems are half modem half software.
Any file/operating system is going to look cryptic and confusing at first. The trick is to start as a noob all over again, hurts the pride a bit, but other OS's do a lot of puppy walking for you. Linux doesn't. If you want that try Linspire/ freespire. (bloated and heavy but noob friendly).
Either that or just get a Mac and be done with it.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2006, 11:00:48 PM »

Zac67 wrote:
@KThunder
AmigaDOS is (for a very large part) a port of TRIPOS - but TRIPOS isn't based on Unix at all. If you take a look at the interna - memory management, message passing, micro kernel - this is quite obvious.

you are correct about memory management to a point. the designers of tripos puposely didnt use the same memory setup as unix as they were designing an os for a completely different purpose than mainframes. message passing is actually very similar except again we arent using mainframes and batch processing and time sharing. microkernal setup is differnt partially because commodore et. al. used a rom for basic functions and exec for everything else.

dozens af computer scientists around the world tracing the history of unix and its flavors place tripos in the tree so to speak and the 68k implementation that became amigaos as a direct sucessor. the command stucture, batch file setup init. files etc. etc. are very similar. but maybe we are all wrong.
think of it this way in the 70's you had microcomputers beginning to show up and they needed an os. some of the os designers used cp/m or some variant or based their setup on that. some just used basic as their os. and some based their work on unix.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline wisementradingdotcom

• Show only replies by wisementradingdotcom
    • http://wisementrading.com
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2006, 02:54:58 AM »

Winmodem on linux? You are joking of course. The clue is in the title. Some work but most don't.

Not at all! Would you rather that I call them softmodems? I know they are part software, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't work under Linux. My main point is that they (at least mine) used to work under older Linuxs. This just doesn't make since. I can still use printer drivers that work under Workbench 1.x under Amiga OS 4. I know that this not the exact same situation, but working drivers should not stop working with with small jumps in the Linux kernel.

I know Linux will feel more friendly with time, but the original question as I unstood it was does Linux have the same friendly feel as Amiga OS. For me the answer is no.

I also know that Amiga has some things that would stump a newcomer, but I think that it is much easier to come to grips with Amiga.

I am not done tring out Linux, but if I can do something (what ever it may be) on Amiga I think it is much easier.

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2006, 07:32:54 AM »
KThunder wrote:
you are correct about memory management to a point. the designers of tripos puposely didnt use the same memory setup as unix as they were designing an os for a completely different purpose than mainframes.

Ack.

message passing is actually very similar [...]

The implementation differs fundamentally.

microkernal setup is differnt partially because commodore et. al. used a rom for basic functions and exec for everything else.

Erm - maybe you should read up on 'microkernel'.
And exec.library resides in ROM - no way around that for sure.

dozens af computer scientists around the world tracing the history of unix and its flavors place tripos in the tree so to speak and the 68k implementation that became amigaos as a direct sucessor.

Yes? At least ppl at Wikipedia don't:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system#Unix-like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIPOS
And I wouldn't either. The architectures and implementation differ far too much. You could call them 'similar' (as AmigaDOS is POSIX oriented), but AOS is definitely not 'Unix-like'.

the command stucture, batch file setup init. files etc. etc. are very similar.

That'd make MS-DOS Unix-like, too. You're looking at the user or maybe application side, I'm talking about architecture.
I'd say, AmigaOS is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Unix. (Sorry, Douglas ;-))

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2006, 08:02:01 PM »
Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?

No version of Linux can be considered as easy to use as AmigaDOS. For basic thingies like word processing and web browsing, Ubuntu is fine. But if you want to play DVD's or MP3's, or have an extraordinary setup (like two monitors, or two sound cards, or something like that) it's gonna be a hell of a fuss if you're new to Linux.
I now got my KUbuntu installation up and running with alot of stuff like gaim (msn alternative) xmms and so. I can virtually do everything I could with Windows (though I still need to install KCDemu - a Linux Daemon Tools equivalent - but it needs a kernal recompilation).
One can 'feel' that Linux is designed for multitasking (wich Windows (XP) isn't). While I listen to Internet radio using my USB soundcard I'm copying backed up stuff on the hd and doing seveveral other stuff - and it happens so without one single hickup; the way I like it  8-)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline chiark

• Show only replies by chiark
    • http://www.chiark.com
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2006, 01:55:43 PM »
I've used Windows, Linux (too many flavours), BSDs and recently found an operating system which gave me the same feeling as the Amiga: Mac OS X.

On the top you've got a friendly face that works brilliantly - intuitively - and underneath you've got a coherent file structure where you stand a cat in hell's chance of understanding exactly what (almost) every file does on the operating system.

Linux has become too fragmented with the distro wars, environment wars (KDE!  no!  Gnome!  Fight!) to the point that it's damn difficult to use as a desktop in my experience.  Ubuntu is a breath of fresh air, and I really wish them well as they've got exactly the right ethos, but all the same it doesn't quite do it for me.

The Apple approach of providing end user and power user functionality wrapped up in a cohesive functional environment really enthused me to the point that my next machine will be a Mac.  I'm running OSX on a Dell C640 as an evaluation and will be purchasing a macbook once funds allow...

It honestly made me think of the Amiga days and what made them great.
Celebrating 21... no, make that 27... years of Amiga use

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2006, 02:03:11 PM »
What really gives MacOS X the Amiga feeling, is the fact that it's a powerful opperating system with close ties between the Hardware and Software. The people who write the OS know exactly what hardware it's going to run on and it shows...

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2006, 03:06:27 PM »
Well, I think there are many similarities in the Amiga and Linux approaches. To look at the citeria the OP mentioned:

- Transparency: Definitely "yes". You can ultimately examine every single aspect, every file, every function of the OS and its components, everything comes with full source code (if you really want to go that deep). There are thousands of communities and tons of documentation which help you in doing so.

- Power: Absolutely. There just is no example where Linux can't be used.

- Simplicity: Yes and no. It might be quite a learning curve if you only have worked with other OSes previously. But once you have understood the basics, everything seems logical and easy. However, you rarely just throw in a floppy disk and click around ;-)

- Small code / minimal components: Yes and no. Most distibutions come bloated with KDE or GNOME and tons of crap being installed by default. So this is rather a question of customizing. Personally, I prefer window managers like IceWM or Fluxbox (and FreeBSD btw, it appears even easier and more logical than Linux to me). They are extremely fast, you can get hundreds of nice themes or just create your own. This is one of the biggest commonnesses IMHO. Ultimate configurability. You can completely modify the look of your desktop, mess with icons, all the stuff Amiga users love.

If you want to use a state-of-the-art OS, I recommend you give Linux a shot. Nothing keeps you from continuing to use your Amiga in parallel (like I do). And E-UAE runs quite nice, too.