Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?  (Read 3896 times)

Description:

Offline wisementradingdotcom

• Show all replies
    • http://wisementrading.com
Re: Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?
« on: August 27, 2006, 06:23:36 PM »

In my personal opinion, of all OS I know, LINUX is most dissimilar to AmigaOS !

It is not intuitive. You have to read several pages of manuals to do the simplest things.

Getting new Hardware working, is close to impossible for a "normal" user.

I couldn't agree more with you. I installed Xandros hoping to be able to do somethings on it that Amiga OS4 can't yet. I had heard that Xandros was easy to use, but it just tries to hide an overly complex system from the user. Boy does this sound farmiliar to another OS I know!

AS to the hardware my understading is that when a new Linux kernel comes out a lot of hardware that used to work no longer does. If you doubt this just try to get a two to three year old Intel winmodem to work!!

That is not all; IMHO Linux is a lot slower on the same hardware then Windows XP. This is not good. Maybe I just need some new drivers, but tring to update even the update list on dial up Internet is... well painfully slooooow.

Still there are things to like about Linux and if Amiga 3.x and 4.x, MOS, MAC OS and the like where not available Linux might look a lot better.

Offline wisementradingdotcom

• Show all replies
    • http://wisementrading.com
Re: Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 02:54:58 AM »

Winmodem on linux? You are joking of course. The clue is in the title. Some work but most don't.

Not at all! Would you rather that I call them softmodems? I know they are part software, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't work under Linux. My main point is that they (at least mine) used to work under older Linuxs. This just doesn't make since. I can still use printer drivers that work under Workbench 1.x under Amiga OS 4. I know that this not the exact same situation, but working drivers should not stop working with with small jumps in the Linux kernel.

I know Linux will feel more friendly with time, but the original question as I unstood it was does Linux have the same friendly feel as Amiga OS. For me the answer is no.

I also know that Amiga has some things that would stump a newcomer, but I think that it is much easier to come to grips with Amiga.

I am not done tring out Linux, but if I can do something (what ever it may be) on Amiga I think it is much easier.