Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Using an Amiga with OS4.1 for daily work.  (Read 1447 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: Using an Amiga with OS4.1 for daily work.
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:13:24 AM »
Quote from: Rob;808296
Some people enjoy the extra sense of achievement of doing something professional on Amiga.  Years ago there was guy who wrote his own plotter driver and used an AmigaONE to print vinyl banners as part of his business.

Amiga (any platform) is not suited for professional work, missing components like 64bit, memory protection or multicore support are the least problem, more problematic is missing drivers for 3rd party hardware like printers and expecially no up-to-date software. I would never even guess to use amigas for professional work, it is a nice hobby I waste some time on when I have some time left, not more not less.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:22:22 AM »
Quote from: Niding;808312
Seeing what people was able to do back in the days with only Amigas, Id say its more than possible to use only the Amiga for work.
But as people have hinted to, people have gotten so used to plug and play, 2 monitors and high speed processing with all kinds of programs, so using only amiga makes people think of Moses and stone tablets :P

I guess the best way of motivating yourself to actually go 100% amiga, is to disconnect your Wintel PC, put it in a box and put it in the basement.
Basically forcing yourself to do it. I guess it wont take long before you find out if you can do it or not. (Just dont risk the wrath of customers, if it leads to delivering a subpar product).

that would be the best way to become so frustrated that he drops amiga at all because he sees the difference ... :laugh1:

Productivity today is very much dependent on the software, most amiga software is stuck in the 90s for obvious reasons. One simple thing data exchange. Most amiga software cannot exchange data with modern platforms of course. If that would be possible it perhaps would be possible to use both Windows/Mac/Linux but it is not. How does he exchange data with a print office? I would guess they do not support amiga software there.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:54:25 PM »
Quote from: broadblues;808316
@OlafS3

PDF, most printers ,in the UK anyway, prefer it. At least those that provide, CD / DVD  cover, poster , flyer , leaflet printing services anyway.

"PDF-Printer" on amiga or exporting PDF? I am not aware that this is possible but would do be interested. You can print as postscript file and this convert f.e. on windows but that is not amiga-only then. Another problem... at least the software I use to design "printable" documents supports different versions of PDF, not possible on amiga I guess.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 02:14:53 PM »
Quote from: broadblues;808334
Most of the DTP related apps I ever used on amigaos (which ever vintage) had Postscript print abilties, so does iBrowse IIRC and certainly the like of OWB do.

ImageFX can "print" to EPS, which is invaluable when used in combination with Wordworth as wordworth then passes the high quality EPS straight through, and does create it's own grayscale version.

I added this functionailty to print to PS / EPS Sketchblock to replicate that workfow, but you can also output direct to PDF via PIL. (Python Imaging Library)

AmigaOS has PS prnter driver that can also save psoscript direct to file, for printing from those apps that don't do postscript output themselves.

To convert to PDF simply use ghostscripts PDFWrite "device"

I've not yet come across a situation wher the version of PDF I *created* was important. I have couple of times come across PDFs from else where that the current OS4 versin of ghostscript doesn't work on. I used linux to sove that hickup.

I have a software that is designed to create all sort of documentation and there you explicitly define which PDF-Version and lots of other things, all important for letting something accurate print. I am not a professional graphician doing print so I cannot explain it more in detail. For homeuse it is not that important but this thread is about using it instead of PC for doing work.