Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: B/W G3 Mac upgrade I'm excited about  (Read 2346 times)

Description:

Offline Zac67

• Show all replies
Re: B/W G3 Mac upgrade I'm excited about
« on: November 05, 2009, 06:16:05 PM »
Got a 9500 for free (200 MHz 603e), played with 9.2 a bit (slow, few current apps), then I discovered Sonnett's awesome G4 1GHz upgrade for $99 - with the help of a bit of RAM, a bigger HDD I had lying around and a DVD ROM my Miggy wasn't eager enough to get it's running Tiger now. I've been told that Leopard would also be feasable, but a bit of fiddling required. Hmm...

Offline Zac67

• Show all replies
Re: B/W G3 Mac upgrade I'm excited about
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:57:27 PM »
@save 2600

OK, thanks for the advice. Of course Tiger isn't actually fast on a 1 GHz G4 & Rage 128 PCI running on 50 MHz async RAM, but it's very usable.
Leopard was just appealing to the sportsman, being the last PPC OSX and possibly running on an ancient machine - but apparently I better not trash my Tiger setup then. Maybe I'll try it on a spare disk though. ;)

I bought the Crescendo PCI directly from Sonnet, but it's been sold out since. Actually bought two and sold one for a very good price on ebay to an extremely pleased customer. That card was regularly 350 € here in G - when you could get it. I'd even have imported some more if Sonnet hadn't run out of stock.

I've also acquired a set of 128 MB DIMMs for that machine (5V FPM/EDO being extremely rare) at a decent price - half of that's still waiting for ebay... :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:59:46 PM by Zac67 »