Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jens Schönfeld  (Read 14976 times)

Description:

Offline Jupp3

• Show all replies
    • http://jupp3.amigafin.org
Re: Jens Schönfeld
« on: September 03, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Long ago I contacted him asking if it would be possible to disable FIFO on HyperCOM 3+ (as it prevents most serial devices from working properly, such as mice, graphics tablets etc. - what else would anyone connect to serial port anyway?)

As that seriously dictates what can and can't be done with the product, I expected it to be available as an option, but was as default on.

Anyway, the answer was that it cannot be disabled. He adviced me to buy similar Individual Computers product instead, that connects to the clockport.

Which I didn't. I bought a second hand A2232 which works liek a charm, and serial ports work as expected (data sent as received, and not delayed by FIFO buffer). Hypercom is in my closet, as it turned out to be a totally useless product.

Earlier I had bought Deathbed Vigil NTSC DVD. Back then I had only PS2 which refused to play it, which I assumed to be becouse it was a DVD-r disc (as PS2 has problems with low quality pressed discs aswell)

Anyway, few years later I bought a proper DVD player, and it still refused to play. Not long after I also bought a DVD drive, and it refused to read on that aswell. Anyway, contacted Jens again, as the original is "only DVD-r", I thought maybe I could get a replacement copy for postage or something. Anyway, he promised to give me a lousy 10e discount of new PAL version :-P

Luckily I postponed the purchase of Catweasel PCI untill he dropped the support for MorphOS for issues totally unrelated to the MorphOS development team.

So lots of disappointments for me. But on the other hand, even if boycotting would seem a right thing to do sometimes, he just happens to also be the only manufacturer of many interesting devices, such as MMC Replay. At least I have learned to be a bit more careful when dealing with Individual Computers devices (in which I failed with MMC Replay, as it later turned out that the "old" ethernet expansion doesn't physically fit the device)

Offline Jupp3

• Show all replies
    • http://jupp3.amigafin.org
Re: Jens Schönfeld
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 02:46:13 PM »
Jupp3 wrote:

Earlier I had bought Deathbed Vigil NTSC DVD. Back then I had only PS2 which refused to play it, which I assumed to be becouse it was a DVD-r disc (as PS2 has problems with low quality pressed discs aswell)

Anyway, few years later I bought a proper DVD player, and it still refused to play. Not long after I also bought a DVD drive, and it refused to read on that aswell. Anyway, contacted Jens again, as the original is "only DVD-r", I thought maybe I could get a replacement copy for postage or something. Anyway, he promised to give me a lousy 10e discount of new PAL version

This will tell you why:

Hmm, I didn't know it had region coding? It's pretty stupid idea anyway, especially for really small product runs.

...Which Deathbed Vigil definitely is, compared to major blockbusters. And it was first available only as NTSC anyway, so no use restricting it to "US watchers and people with region free players only" - which is "mostly everyone" anyway :-)

Being PAL or NTSC doesn't have ANYTHING to do with optional regional coding that DVD discs can have.

Also, there are NTSC releases both as R1 and R2, and I guess PAL discs are also released with seweral different regional codings.

To be honest, if it was region coded, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it (or on second thought I might have, as with Playstation 2, I have to boot !=R2 discs with RegionX. )

But as I said, the disc didn't work, instead of getting "Wrong region" (aka "use better player") requester, that you can still get on some rare DVD players (most are region free nowadays)