Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If Genesi owned the rights to Amiga IP  (Read 15680 times)

Description:

Offline Madgun68

• Show all replies
    • http://home.comcast.net/~madgun1968
Re: If Genesi owned the rights to Amiga IP
« on: May 03, 2003, 07:21:30 AM »
Seehund, I think I asked you before how you would handle customer support. Did you ever answer to that?
I'm not Seehud (nor do I play him on tv) but wouldn't it be the same as other companies handle it?

When I worked in the Windows 98 support group, for example, you let the caller know what you do and don't support before troubleshooting begins. They'll then know what to expect out of support. You troubleshoot it as best you can so long as hardware is not the suspected culprit. If it is, send them to the hardware vendor regardless if the vendor supports that operating system or not.

I had people calling in using older laptops that the vendor only supported under Windows 95. Guess what? If they wanted support they HAD to reinstall Windows 95 first. If the hardware was deemed okay and they call back for software support, then you do what you can with them knowing fully well that the software may not run on that machine and that's just the way it is.

Offline Madgun68

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 11:28:13 PM »
I remember when pegasos/mos users were saying that brand name does not matter.

Its clear now that it does matter as it always did.

"Ahh...the Amiga. Such fond memories I have for that trademark. That sunken logo on the Amiga 500 casework. The metal nameplate on the Amiga 2000. The precision font craftsmanship on the manual. Never has there been a finer name in print"

Offline Madgun68

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 08:56:44 PM »
This does not seem excessive, the user ends up paying for it in the end anyway and if the consumer wanted a Genesi branded amiga I am sure they would pay for it.
In a marketplace where software that sells a 1,000 units is considered making a killing, a $100,000 up front license cost is quite excessive. That plus a $20 per unit license and the cost of AOS 4 itself?

If Amiga Inc. had any sort of weight to throw behind AOS, it might be different.. But I don't see any signs they're doing anything other than expecting people to come to them.

Considering the presence Genesi has had at the various shows, it would be of benefit to both Amiga Inc AND Hyperion to cut them some slack with regards to the licensing. Genesi could set up a few machines showing AOS and without doing jack all give their product greater visability. (The only comapny that wouldn't benefit from this would be Eyetech.. Genesi has no need to show off another companies hardware.)