Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I want an Amiga gaming system!  (Read 9997 times)

Description:

Offline Ren

• Show only replies by Ren
Re: I want an Amiga gaming system!
« Reply #119 from previous page: February 10, 2004, 11:18:48 AM »
Well, I was in the same boat as @mugenakuma a few weeks ago, i.e. wanted Amiga mainly for the games (and hopefully if I find some time some programming).

Anyway, I ended up getting:

Amiga 600 with 2.04 Rom, 40 HD (without the cable, whoever had it beforehand had the HD outside, since there is an ugly cut at the back just wide enough for the cable :(, no mouse, stuffed floppy and most of all NO BADGE (anyone knows where I could get a replacement A600 badge??) . Luckily there is a dealer nearby which has a "Evergreen" mouse for $A15 and a replacement floppy for $A35 (BTW, are A1200 and A600 internal floppies different?).

Amiga 1200 with 3.0 Roms, Expansion board with 4 mb & RTC, 500 mb HD, PCMCIA network adapter and 2nd floppy.

I found the PCMCIA network adapter (with the A1200) VERY useful. If you got a PC and/or broadband internet it will make life a lot easier if you want to download stuff off the internet (such as WHDload patches or games) or copy stuff to or from PC.

Now I haven't tried the nic with the A600 (since the floppy is dead) yet but I don't see why it shouldn't work (except for transfers being slower maybe).

Anyway, I got a few questions:

Did the Commdodore 1084S come with cable for Amiga? I bought it so long ago I'm not really sure.

Also, is it worth getting an accelerator board for A1200 for games? Like how many good games run better with it than with a stock A1200?

PS. Forgot to mention this originally. There is quite a few freeware/PD games on Aminet:

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/aminet/game/index.html

Offline mugenakumaTopic starter

• Show only replies by mugenakuma
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~akuma/cars.htm
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2004, 07:53:47 PM »
Yea I definitely need a 1200! It seems to be the perfect system for my needs!

There was that crazy ebay auction for that 1200 and all those games. It sold for $435. I had to basically use every ounce of my strength to not but it! I was prepared to pay at least $500 but it would have come off my credit card something I CANNOT due, since I have such a huge debt.

Anyway I should be able to pick up a 1200 sometime by early or late March.

Offline McTrinsic

• Show only replies by McTrinsic
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2004, 09:33:02 PM »
It took me some time to actually realize what you people are saying here.

$ 130 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for an AMIGA 500!!!!!!!!!!!

In Germany, they go for, lets say, 40 Euros, and most of them with a truckload of discs and usually with the RAM expansion and often with goodies like joysticks.

Only bummer for non-germans: the keyboard. But you can exchange the keys with keys from a dead A500 and ready you are.

On getting an A1200:

The man who's patient will get a reward. :)

Just watch ebay for some time, and have a closer look at aucttions that end during daytime. Or generally, when you have to expect less competition. The worst time will be saturday or sunday evening, thats the tme when all the geeks freaks nerds and the like are online and will bid for the item.

You just need a bit patience, sooner or later it pays really. well.

Have fun,
McTrinsic

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2004, 10:42:27 PM »
Hey Mctrinsic,

That's exactly what I'm hoping. Eventually I'm sure I will get my hands on an A1200, I just need to be patient.

It's just hard when I'm itching to play all those cool Amiga games :)

Offline McTrinsic

• Show only replies by McTrinsic
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2004, 11:38:58 PM »
You should begin watching prices, though.

So you know what price range these things usually lie in, and I dont mean special auctions with a load of games or something like that.

Have fun,

And good luck!

McTrinsic

« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2004, 12:34:06 AM »
Yea I think it would be nice to get a system with a lot of the extras. That way I don't have to hunt down all these parts.

Either way I'm thinking I need a decent sized hard drive and external CDROM for my A1200.  

What ROM's do most A1200's come loaded with . Which would I want to have?

What about OS? I know there are a few different OS' out there. Which one would be best for gaming?

Offline Ren

• Show only replies by Ren
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2004, 11:37:22 AM »

mugenakuma wrote:

What ROM's do most A1200's come loaded with . Which would I want to have?

What about OS? I know there are a few different OS' out there. Which one would be best for gaming?

Amiga 1200s come with either 3.0 or 3.1 Roms. Mine has 3.0 :(.  3.1 of course is better, since it allows you to run OS 3.5 and 3.9 (3.0 can't run those can it?)

You'd want 3.1 since it costs some $$ for 3.1 roms if you only got 3.0.  I paid around $A212 (about $US165) for my A1200 (with 500 Mb HD, extra FD and PCMCIA nic). To get 3.1 roms it would cost me around $A70 plus P&H, which is 1/3 of the computer's cost. So it is better to get them in the first place.

As for the best O/S, I don't know. I'm using 3.0 since my machien came with it and I can't really use anything else.